The Third Maserati | Page 7 | FerrariChat

The Third Maserati

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Sr.Pininfarina, Aug 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That was not due to be launched at Geneva this week like so many other cars now getting virtual launches, it will be launched in Modena in May hence any details are still embargoed.

3. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Looks very promising.

4. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    lot of speculation that it is a message to Ferrari, “you build an Alfieri (Roma) we’ll build an F8 (MC20).” And we’ll under cut the price by 100k and have better performance.

5. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Well put:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  7. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    What bothers me most is the fact that the MC20 is said to make use of carbon tub whereas in Ferrari’s line up not even the SF90 Stradale uses a carbon tub.

8. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    exactly! The MC20 is a development of the Alfa 4C which is/was built at Maserati’s Via Ciro Menotti HQ in Modena alongside the GranTurismo. It is apparently Maserati’s version of the canceled Alfa 8C project. The 4C is 2,300 lbs and 250hp, a larger more luxurious MC20 will probably come in at 3,200 lbs with a rumored 620+ HP and a 0-60 in the 2.5 range, priced at + or - 200k. Apparently there is a lot of animosity between Ferrari and Maserati currently. I’d say that’s a pretty big FU to Ferrari, which could explain the choice of location for the photos.

red passion likes this.
  9. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005

10. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    At the end it is good for competition and for the Modena region as well. Imagine how great it would be if all of the three big brands (Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati) are on top of their game again.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The MC20 is a halo car. Maserati is now mainly a sedan and SUV maker. They will not be returning to the 1930's and 1950's but can make some interesting sportscars from time to time. If anything electric cars could ruin everything, but not nearly as soon as people think(I would say 10-20 years from now). I am really worried about sportscars and racecars as half the reason people buy them or go to races is for the noise they make. The only way I can see to make them viable would be with small gas engine Hybrids.

12. boralogist

Jun 21, 2005
    Why would making sedans and SUVs disqualify them from reviving their magnificent heritage?
    Heard of a little company called Porsche?

The key variable, other than manufacturing stunning machinery, is RACING...
    EXACTLY what the MC 20 is designed to do!

Bora never had its day at Le Mans MC 20 will!

Where we go from there time will tell...

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    ‘Maserati never really made sports cars for the road, they built a Gentleman’s Grand Touring car with a refined understated elegance. Ferrari built the boy racer cars and Lamborghini built the “Look at me” cars.

flat_plane_eddie and Nembo1777 like this.
  14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Alfa 4c was a Halo car -- and thank goodness! In the world of blandness some auto makers still get that some people want EXCITEMENT. And that their brand image needs a boost.

Alfa lost money on every 4c they sold. But look what it got them! Nothing they could have done in advertising would have said as well "Alfa is back"

Hopefully the MC20 will do the same for Maserati.

15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    After all these business carriers (mainly in black, grey and silver color) from the last 10+ years, Maserati needs now a toy! A performance car that could clearly cope with -at least- Porsche! A car that nobody need...but everybody want!

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I really hope they do race it at Lemans, that would be great. Up until 1960 Maserati was mainly a race car maker that could have a special road body installed if the owner wanted. Now they make big heavy sedans and SUV's. The little vans Maserati used to make years ago weighed less and they were trucks
    :)
    Ofcourse they can make a few very nice sportscars and will, but the cars they have been calling sportscars lately are nothing short of medium size luxury cars. The Granturismo for example is rather large and from the day I first saw it until now was a disappointment to me. I hope they can get the MC20 under 3000lbs.

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Good that does not sound electrical lol:). Filmed in Piazza Roma in Modena in front of the military academy, the car looks like it is driving into the academy in the last shot.

18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    must be a development of the Alfa Quadrifoglio 90 degree V6, because that sounds like **** too. I guess making HP is what it’s all about, but the current 60 degree V6 sounds so much better.

19. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Looks and sounds very promising!

boralogist likes this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes had a ride in the 500hp Giulia of my publisher in England, I was all excited about how it would sound but was left hungry for more, though we had less than ideal traffic conditions.

21. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito