Buying 458 spider | FerrariChat

Buying 458 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tscud, Mar 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tscud

tscud Karting

Jan 16, 2014
    San Diego
    Hi guys,
    Its been 6 years since my first and last Ferrari, sorry for long winded explanation.

Recently gone over 6 months without a sports car. First worth mentioning was a 08GT2 (4years), 09 430SCUD (1 year), 12C (3 years), 650S spider (2 years). I have taken most to a track, and have been to all my local tracks several times. And reached a point where I didn't feel like pushing the car hard around town in risk of tickets, and the cars just felt like driving a camry, and had me wondering why I was spending so much on them. Plus I have been building an amazing Raptor that I have been off-roading a ton. Which has been satisfying my thrill tank with cars.

Lately the itch has come back for something not as crazy fast but instead very engaging even when driving around town at normal speeds. People keep bringing up the 458 and the 600LT.

I am not convinced I am going to get something, cause I keep wondering if after 6 months the thrill we be gone.

So more want the spider over the coupe for obvious reasons. Would prefer the 15' over the older models for reasons that have been discussed here. And colors I would like, in order of preference are:
    1. blue
    2. white
    3. red
    4. grey
    NO yellow!

I am thinking the mileage should be below 7k and want the basic options more for resale value than anything else. Since I don't know how long I will want to keep it, resale is very important to me.
    At what point does mileage really drop values. I tend to put 5k or more miles on my exotic per year. I have a Tesla P100D as my DD and the Raptor for sharing the driving. So this would be a third for me.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    I might sell you my 2015 458 tdf blue burgundy full carbon interior if you look on vinwiki under the same name blueferrari458 under 6000 always dealer maintained never tracked professionally stored and available with dealer warranty as the power warranty is being renewed as we speak let me know a Ferrari dealer had just made me an unsolicited offer so I was already thinking of selling it.
    Let me know

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

3. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    It's a spider and I just looked over every dealer offered 2015 and have been surprised how few were being offered that coupled with one dealer I have worked with making me an offer tells me people maybe discovering the charm of the 458

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. tscud

tscud Karting

Jan 16, 2014
    San Diego
    I would be interested to know more about your car. I have never heard of vinwiki, so just googled it and your username. And a ton of blue 458's started getting listed but not under your username, that I saw. Can you help with me finding your pics and more info on the car with a link. Or we can communicate by phone, email or however you would like.
    Where are you and the car located?
    I will PM you my contact.

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Go look at a 4C, Lotus, Boxtser or Miata. Most peoples lifetime cars are a good month for me, I have owned or driven 98% of the sports cars made in the last 45 years. Some cars are not a lot of fun when driven at less than 90%, and the 458 spider (which I have) is one of them. I never use traction controls on sports cars, so I can make them slide around, which is more than most do, but in sport mode the 458 might as well be a GT car. The cars I mentioned in the beginning (which I have owned and want to buy another), are engaging at almost any speed. Not sure why you want only a 15, but that is your choice, and I hate carbon fiber decorations in cars, but I am in the minority and my 458 has none, nope not a bit. One of the reasons I bought it. I never care about resale I see it as if I have to care what it is going to be worth to the next person, than I should not buy it to begin with.

6. tscud

tscud Karting

Jan 16, 2014
    San Diego
    I have a lot of seat time in all kinds of boxster's, and Miata's on the street and track. I would say they are very boring unless pushed hard, and even worse it usually has to be a fun windy road. I have wanted to try out a 4C and Lotus for sometime now, there never was one near by to test drive, but haven't looked in a while. Need to revisit these, so thanks for that reminder. I have also thought about something much older like a Beck speedster. I need to find one nearby to try out and it has to be reliable, I am not a DIY type of guy at all.
    In terms of CF interior, I only really care about the driver zone and steering wheel. I like the LED steering wheel for myself. Otherwise too much CF is not great IMO. I do like the ability for the car to have two characteristics of tame and crazy at a switch. So that I can take it for a long drive up to LA with the wife and then let her rip when the opportunity is there.
    I don't recall saying it has to be 15' but preferred for resale. So I have looked at older years. And I don't have the luxury to not care. I know myself, and that I might want to keep it for 3 years which it would not matter( cuz I would of put an additional 15k miles on it), or I might want to sell in less than 1 year, in which case it would matter a lot. I have a wife who is on my ass about how much these extra cars are costing. Especially since it would be our 4th car and the cheapest being my Raptor. She is amazing and loves for me to have my fun but not when it means a very large unnecessary loss.

7. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    I have owned an Elise a miata a boxster diablo Jalpa ff and bunch of late 60s muscle cars etc. My current stable includes a spyker a Gallardo gated and a 458. I love the 458. I find it very fun to drive. My 1st test drive in a 458 sealed it. Try one it is a forever car for me.

dustman and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  8. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    I just picked up a 2015 458 Spider with like 1000 miles on her! Awaiting delivery this week :)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. tscud

tscud Karting

Jan 16, 2014
    San Diego
    You better not of gotten mine;)
    Congrats. Please share your pics.