Is the V12 the T Rex Given 2032 the UK Extinction date | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Is the V12 the T Rex Given 2032 the UK Extinction date

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by FFantastic, Feb 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    The climate isn’t in danger. The earth as we know it may be though. I agree, the real issue isn’t whether the climate is changing. It is and always has. The issue is whether humans are impacting the climate in either a negative or positive way. That “science” frankly is not “settled”. I’m a huge proponent for clean air, water, and conservation of our beautiful earth. I simply take issue with the very clear intent to make “the climate” a convenient way to tax, control, prohibit freedom, redistribute wealth, justify violence, and burden the already burdened (third world countries).

Greta is dangerous.
    My two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Well said.....

3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The Govt has launched a consulatation on the banning of ICE sales
    I seriously recommend that FChat readers look at this and pass it onto their friends
    Further that we do take up invite to email our opinions in.
    Be respectful, no R&P style rants !
    I doubt it will be effective, doubtless all the greens are already emailing.
    But you never know..

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consulting-on-ending-the-sale-of-new-petrol-diesel-and-hybrid-cars-and-vans/consulting-on-ending-the-sale-of-new-petrol-diesel-and-hybrid-cars-and-vans

4. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    I see the downside of this, apart from the obvious, is that new car sales will seriously drop off well before the deadline as no-one in their right mind will spend the sort of money our cars cost knowing the 'end is nigh' (as it used to say on the placards)

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Talking to an executive of the AA (Automobile Ass.) over the weekend and the following became another reason why politicians should have studied Maths instead;
    111 motorway service stations in the UK
    Average number of stands in each is minimum of 12 (some have 16 )
    Over 75% usage at peak times
    Therefore at least 1000 stands Petrol pump positions) used at peak times
    Average fill at motorway is 50 Ltr +
    Average mpg of cars using motorway stations = 30 + ie = 333 -350 range min. Many much more.
    Average time taken for fill and payment = 8 mins
    Tesla time for full charge on 150 kw = 75 mins ie 9.5 - 10 times longer
    Tesla range at motorway speeds approx 250 mls requiring more stops ie 25% less range
    Therefore to satisfy peak demand a minimum of 10,000 plus charging points would be required at a minimum at 150 kw each
    = 1,500 mega watt of ready supply on the grid..........Just for Motorways. and just for cars.
    Wind energy not reliable, Solar energy in the UK not that great and not at all at night.
    Couple this with the phasing out of Gas and Oil power stations and the 15 year conception to production for nuclear
    The Palo Verdi power station in the US is the largest currently on line producing 3,937 MW

I don't know why but I'm feeling happier today ................:)

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and Bundy like this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Politicians care about votes, that is their currency. When it becomes apparent that trillions of dollars worth of assets could become functionally useless, and thus, those votes will evaporate, you will see these kinds of deadlines getting modified.

Gullwing, Solid State, MDEL and 3 others like this.
  7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    we have decided 'further study' is necessary.... :D

MDEL, Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    This is not about saving the planet from itself. This is about the political class control over the masses. Once they have the votes they will throw everybody into a blender add the ingredients they see fit and spit us out the other end as a homogeneous goo(diversity is only for the vote getting then it’s thrown under the bus- or into the blender)
    We will all be forced to take Covid-19 infested public transportation, eat out of disgusting reusable containers vegan (which by the way I do eat periodically and enjoy)gruel (soylent green anyone?)and live in homes with periodic black outs due to all environmental friendly sources and multiple workers strikes and wear clothes recycled from human waste products. Plus sex will be limited to electronically planned consensual appointments monitored electronically to not exceed the limits agreed to.
    This dystopian society will collapse on itself when the street riots begin after people take the tarps off their dusty classic cars and drive them on the street using bootleg fuel from an old grounded rusted out Saudi oil tanker
    Wow. I feel better now

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  9. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    The UK Government has just advised in the budget that all private vehicles registered after April 2017 with a CO2 rating over 225gramme will pay road fund license fee of upto £4,125 per annum for the larger polluters, eeerrrrrmmm ....like mine:mad: The plan is to introduce this after a consultation with the motoring bodies etc.

10. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I'm not surprised. We did get a pretty good deal in the UK - high polluters pay high tax in year one but then drops to low price. Even if that changes as proposed, I don't care...in various forms, owning an F car is only going to get more expensive to use.... if you don't like it, get off the train! :)

11. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My understanding is that the first year ie new car registrations would be £4000 then subsequent years £2170. Still an increase but much more palatable.

635CSI likes this.
  12. FFantastic

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Thanks for that, I’m happy to stand corrected but as you say, still an increase and a significant one at that.

13. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Sad to see an intelligent country falling for this. You would have thought the end state of joining the EU was a teachable moment......

Additionally, any policy that is initiated by politicians and fronted by children is most likely a serious mistake in judgement. If you doubt that statement ....put the policy to a vote and let the people decide.;)

Bundy likes this.
  14. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    One word... Brexit

INRange likes this.
  15. EndlessDoodles

Jun 12, 2016
    Greta is dangerous? Weird to focus on her.

I'd bet twenty years from now she's a recluse, like any other child star.

16. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Assuming she's still alive and not perished as a result of global warming.

17. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Not surprisingly our ‘friends’ at the Guardian (partner of the NYT) are hoping the Covid-19 pandemic will see off the carbon economy.
    However, I suspect that governments will be more concerned with getting economies up and running again.
    Oil and gas are cheap cheap cheap, where as the renewables industry is a subsidy junkie. Broke governments aren’t going to put their hands in their pockets.
    It will be interesting to see how green political wishes are balanced against hard economics.

18. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Both the Guardian and NYT reside in my No Fly zones.

stavura, ANOpax, FFantastic and 2 others like this.
  19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I can totally understand, yet I read both.
    It is painful, but as a strategy student I feel its good to know the enemy’s strengths and weaknesses.
    Fortunately I think the the latter outweigh the former, but they are very good at influencing government policy, evidenced by the raison d’être of this thread, the banning of the sale of ICE cars by a ‘conservative’ UK government.
    Both newspapers are so annoying, when I get really pissed off I watch the South Park episode ‘Smug Alert’ which covers the consequences of LA celebs buying low emission cars...

stavura and ferrarifanatic25 like this.
  20. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I’m far from a greenie - I drive a V12 Ferrari - but I do feel compelled to point out that this is a pretty old fashioned view. Solar, wind etc technologies achieved cost parity (or better) with ‘dirty’ electricity sources a few years ago so no longer require any subsidies in most countries.

Fully support your assertion that governments will have their hands full for the next 5+ years sorting out the aftermath of Corona and banning ICE should be further off. Hurrah!

I guess Greta will need to go back to school and get a real job.

21. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Nah, Greta has tasted the intoxication of fame, power and living off the backs of others. She’s an elitist to the grave.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  22. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Old fashioned, maybe, but I think correct, Oil and Gas prices are very low since the Saudis and Russians fell out way back in February. If Solar and wind were at parity or better than fossil fuels we would be seeing private companies building large scale projects and undercutting gas or nuclear generation. Yet, we don’t. The UK solar industry has collapsed and off shore wind is the most expensive form of electricity on the generation slate. Spoiling our green and pleasant land with on shore wind generation has not got very far.
    When those German factories come back up they will be using electricity generated by burning Russian gas and nasty lignite coal.
    The latter is particularly unpleasant from an environmental point of view. Do you not think that in a country as proud of its green credentials as Germany would not of shut coal out of the equation if it could ?

Just to be clear, I would like my electricity to come from renewable sources but firstly I don’t think it is yet competitive at scale in Northern Europe and secondly I don’t want to be forced to power my car with it.

ANOpax likes this.
  23. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    By the way, KarlA69, I'm not picking a fight, and I am happy to see renewables increase every year. My point is that Natural Gas for the foreseeable future is extremely cheap which will change the economic calculus of power generation in Europe, I suspect the competitiveness of renewables will suffer. The push into renewables will be driven by other factors than the market.

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Current events are proving that the easiest, most effective/immediate way of drastically reducing automobile emissions is to just work remotely (from home). No daily commute, meetings via Skype, shop online, grocery store once every week or two. Done.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    There are many countries and mine is one of them where the renewable energies network relies on subsidies to the price of the KW produced. On every electricity bill there is an amount to subsidize the renewables and consumers are the ones paying for it. As you pointed well and I agree, natural gas has become much cheaper and this means electricity production cost will go down substantially. In a future scenario not desirable but possible where unemployment will rise dramatically and everyone will have less money, with cheap gas there is no point in consumers continuing subsidizing the renewables through their electricity bill making it expectable that things will change.
    Concerning Europe's green fundamentalist politicians that declared the death of the ICE by 2030-2035 in order to save the planet , I believe their rhetoric now has lost sense. We've seen last March how pollution levels in China and everywhere else have dropped to levels of half a century ago and is almost guaranteed that in the next five years at least thing won't be again as they were before. On the other hand factories making cars with ICEs have more workers than the equivalent ones producing electric vehicles, meaning that this isn't the time to further reduce jobs in this important industry adding one more problem to the expected future high levels of unemployment.

635CSI likes this.