Taken Off Market - Ferrari 365 Daytona V12 Engine | FerrariChat

Taken Off Market Ferrari 365 Daytona V12 Engine

Discussion in 'Ferrari Parts & Collectibles' started by SL600, Mar 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SL600

SL600 Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    Ferrari V12 Engine. For Daytona GTB/4 or GTS/4 1968 through 1973 model years.

Exact car this engine was in is unknown although the serial number places it midway through 365 production probably 1971.

Engine appears to be completely original. It is unknown if the motor has been rebuilt prior to being placed on the display stand. Engine has internals, bellhousing, and clutch.

I'm not a Ferrari expert so feel free to PM any pertinent details you may have and I will update this post.

Asking $250,000 for motor and stand although the stand is optional and offers are encouraged. While I have shipped many large items all over the world shipping this will be a bit of work and won't be cheap.

Here is a link to the pics, sorry for the watermark. Interested parties will have access to any images they require.

https://imgur.com/a/OxatEgk

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    365’s don’t have numero interno’s?

how is it not known what car this is from?

3. SL600

SL600 Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    I don't know what "numero interno's" means. The engine has the internals, crankshaft, rods, pistons, cams, valves, etc.

Don't know what car is its from because as mentioned I'm not a Ferrari expert, I'm sure there is someone who knows but that person isn't me. If the new owner wants to they can do the investigative work to find out what car it came from.

Richard Day likes this.
  4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Google goes a long way. This may help a bit towards figuring out it’s numbers.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/numero-interno.409759/

5. SL600

SL600 Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    #5 SL600, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Thanks for the link, good info to have.

For the record the engine does have various part numbers and what looks like a consecutive number stamped on it however I didn't think it was wise to post that info online. Anyone who is interested in it will be provided with the numbers.

6. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    BOKE likes this.
  7. SL600

SL600 Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
  8. peppe siciliano

peppe siciliano Karting

Dec 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    Peppe
    How much

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    How much for the engine stand?

10. SL600

SL600 Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    Don't know, have to sell the engine first and see if that sells by itself.

Prices are super flexible as I just found out the engine and stand have to be moved soon and I'd rather not have to move it.

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Message deleted

12. SL600

SL600 Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    Everyone is a tough guy behind their keyboard, if you don't like the price why comment?

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I don't think he does not like the price, he is only displaying his emotions about the 'ask' price.

No need to get so defensive about a guy and his keyboard, now a guy with a gun, another story...
    Prices are "super flexible"? What on earth does that mean?

Regards, Alberto

14. SL600

SL600 Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    Why comment then? would he go to a Ferrari swap meet and laugh in the face of people selling there??. If there is nothing constructive to say then leave it be and the post will drop to the bottom.

I have no idea what something like this would sell for so might as well start high and it will drop as required. A motor like this could be worthless or it might not be I don't know, and super flexible means just that, if someone wants this they can offer what they want to pay, that is kind of how it works.

So instead of posting emojis how about you tell me what this motor is worth, that is the type of discourse I would expect.

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Mr. SL600, as you do not have a name, it is difficult for me to address you properly, and it is rather impersonal, so here it goes.
    You ask for a potential worth, and I will riposte what is on my mind, trying to skate on thin ice and hopefully not risking to offend you.

Here, you are selling a very unknown quantity, lack of storage information, might cost up of $50 K to run it again, and besides, all Daytona have an engine, and a replica, well...

So it is a potential 'pig in the poke' if desired to be a functional motor. Engines that are fully built, unused and of unknown provenance,
    are prone to all sorts of internal 'disasters' if not actively exercised, ranging the whole gamut, broken rings, spun bearings, worn out internals, seals, gaskets, etc. and on and on.

Unless doted with X Ray vision, it is a surprise. So, if you want a living room adornment, it is worth what the highest bid will be.

And I quote your exact wording: unknown ...Engine appears .... It is unknown...Engine has internals, (how do you know?) I'm not a Ferrari expert.

Thus, you are setting yourself up for a myriad of questions, and you are shooting for the sky, not knowing much, and expect 1/4 of a Mill for ????????????????
    Plus, you are offended easily, thus vulnerable.

By the way, the stand, I can make one for $2-3K, so inconsequential unless for a display. I do not think you built it. The Ferrari emblem on the stand, really?

I have not seen lately a motor of this heft for sale, perhaps if it were all in parts and measured profusely, with all dims. to spec, you might find a buyer, but as a display,
    I would not hope on much. Professionals buy engines disassembled, or after witnessing a Dyno run. Try to run the engine, show proof, and it might be saleable.

So you ask, How much is it worth? $40-50K, maybe. Potentially less, who knows...Put it on e-bay, high reserve, and see where it goes.
    Get rid of the stand and sell it as a motor, not furniture.

Here, I seriously doubt you will have any takers, or you would have already heard from them in a NY minute, specially after your reactions to responses that are perfectly normal.
    It does not help you to react in such a temperamental manner, when the replies reflect a frame of mind to your asking price, and here, most people know what they are talking about.
    If you might have reacted slightly milder mannered, and humoured by nasty emojis, you would be in a better light.

You have a grand total of 15 posts, so not much credibility, whereas if I may, in your shoes, you might ask someone else with tons of credibility and provenance, to help you in such a BIG sale and as it were, if realistically priced it would have sold a long time ago. How many credible offers have you received? Get great advice and pay a commission for the favour.

And, by the way, there is no Ferrari swap meet, and if there were one, people just would turn around or cry ( just like emojis) or haggle you to death
    as you have absolutely nothing to justify your asking price on. At the moment it is presented as a shell of a Daytona motor with mechanical items inside, nothing more.

Good luck!

Regards, Alberto

ryanbushell, 19633500GT, 375+ and 2 others like this.
  16. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    375+, Pis7a2020 and BOKE like this.
  17. SL600

SL600 Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    Alberto,

Thank you taking the time to post this info I do appreciate it. If the motor is the 40 to 50k range then that is good to know.

Didn't want to go the fleabay route but maybe that is the best place and your advice on dumping the stand is sound.

There is a never ending stream of keyboard warriors on every forum and quite frankly it gets tiresome, I have stopped visiting many forums because too many discussions turn into pissing matches over price, options, who previous owners were, whatever.

So based on all of this I guess my Ferrari trans-axle ain't worth a mil???? lol

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Did you buy this from the prior seller here? He had it for sale here as recently as mid January. Really just curious, I have no skin in this game.

D

BOKE likes this.
  19. SL600

SL600 Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    No, we both know the owner (but don't know each other) and have listed it for them. I would really like to thank Alberto again, pulling the engine off the stand and using fleabay is great advice as well as his price estimate. Probably going to do that within the next week or so.

20. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Not trying to bust your chops man. Just seems comical that you are selling an engine for $250k and won’t even thrown in the stand.

I’m sure everything is negotiable, but the fact the you called it out as separate, considering it is such an insignificant part of the entire package, is what made me laugh.

That’s like buying a Ferrari, and the sales guy selling you the battery tender separately.

Good luck with the sale though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. SL600

SL600 Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    Beating a dead horse, some people have been very helpful so its all good.

22. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello SL, I am happy to have cleared the air for you somewhat, and appreciate your change of attitude.
    Potentially, you might be better off on BaT, yet, you are carrying a stigma from here, whereas on ebay, nobody will make negative observations,
    and on BaT, they might skin you alive.

Stick to ebay and lose the stand. Get someone to write you some good copy. Please let us know when you do. Who knows, I might even buy it :)

Regards, Alberto

19633500GT likes this.
  23. SL600

SL600 Rookie

Jan 8, 2020
    After careful review of the feedback received the motor is currently off the market

Would like to thank everyone for their candor and feedback, it's been a fun thread but I'm gonna bail and won't be responding to to anymore posts.