512TR Clutch - OMG its the heaviest... | FerrariChat

512TR Clutch - OMG its the heaviest...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Mar 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    In his vid, Doug goes over the top in his complaints about how heavy the clutch is.

In a different vid, he contrasted the Testarossa clutch as being much less ‘heavy’ than the 512TR.

yeah... I know... Doug is likely not appreciated by many, but here is a chance for the knowledgeable F-Chat community to chime in.

What is your opinion on the Testarossa dual clutch vs 512TR single clutch?

go to the 9:05 mark to skip all the other nonsense....

2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    When he drove my TR he said the clutch was fine. He has to find talking points about each car and he has a limited time with each car.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hes wrong.

Over the top idiot is more like it.

Same clutch as 550/575/456/612. Ever hear complaints about those?

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    1000000 %. Wrong .. the clutch is not butter on a 512tr but 20 times easier then a testarossa ..I have driven and lived with both

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Never driven a Testarossa however the clutch on the 512TR is much more lighter in comparison to a Countach & LM002 which are among the heaviest I have driven.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    “easier” as in pedal pressure or better feel or ??

My complaint on the Testarossa is its seemingly slow engagement as it goes thru its stroke. Just as I think it is fully engaged... it isn’t.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In my opinion it is about the same but the feel is dramatically different. The pedal does get heavier when the clutch nears end of life because of the change in geometry of the pressure plate but never rises to objectionable.

Your complaint about the TR clutch is common. And because of the dual plates it feels like it is beginning to engage when it is still far from taking any load. Worse on an infrequently driven car because there is almost always some level of rust on the splines preventing the discs from floating as well as they should.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would say more linear and not as hard (pressure)

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    My 87 TR, I would consider easy! Driving manuals all my life, never notice!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I find mine pretty easy. Much easier than my dad's aston, that doesn't have any feel through the pedal

11. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  12. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    There are much bigger reasons to dislike YouTube than someone commenting on a car. He doesn't get long to drive the cars so he has to comment on something.

13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    frankly i dont even notice anymore EXCEPT when i go from an easy car vs an older ferrari.

if i move a bunch of cars around, and i hop from a new modern power everything car into the 512tr, it feels heavy and as if i had 4 flat tires !

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    speaking of heavy clutches.....

the clutch on my 456mgt went out after about 30k km of mostly city driving. we dropped it out, and saw that it was stocked by eurospares, so on my next trip to london i had one delivered to my hotel from them and i brought it back with me as my hand luggage.

i was really worried the tsa folks would not know what it was since it looked like a bomb and would definitely show up rather oddly in the x-ray machine.
    but as it was going through, the guy behind the machine looks at the picture, and says 'hey thats a clutch!" to which i smiled and answered that i was trying to save a few bob. he appreciated that and let it go through. not too many people will drag a 456 clutch from london to geneva !

mathewr and vincenzo like this.
  15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I flew home from L.A. to SF Bay Area with a large carry on full of prime rib bones for my dog. TSA had a hard time figuring out what it was but when they finally figured it out they were all laughing.

MKnightMD likes this.
  16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    That’s right there are MANY reasons, hence why I’m starting to turn it off. It’s almost all clickbait bs now.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed but he makes 10k per video- so he is actually smart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is amazing how much complete morons can make but I guess we don't have to look any further than the boards of many large corporations.

sherrillt likes this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

#19 Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    It’s just crazy-it’s another topic but I don’t find him very talented, his voice annoys me a bit, his videos are subpar (as far as quality)but I guess because he is average it works and people identify with him.
    As far as the clutch my TR was butter smooth after a few minutes, some I drove hurt my leg. I was told that using the proper oil also helps but maybe I’m mistaken ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Hmmmm....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

sherrillt and Rifledriver like this.
  21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I bought a throw out bearing for my TR when I was in Maranelo. It was half the price they wanted in the states. I check baggage a roots supercharger on the airlines once. It was just under 50 pounds. I thought might be a problem, no. I carried on an antique steering wheel, agents said where is the rest of the car?

Rifledriver and vincenzo like this.