599 (no HGTE) too much understeer | FerrariChat

599 (no HGTE) too much understeer

Discussion in '612/599' started by doppioexpresso, Sep 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doppioexpresso

doppioexpresso Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc
    My friend - a very lucky guy - just bought himself one of the very few stick-shift 599's. I love the fact, that it is the last Ferrari that comes with this classic Ferrari-style shift-knob!

When I drove the car last week I noticed quite noticeable understeer. My friend who was racing cars together with me for the last 10 years has found the same "fault" with his 599.

I am aware of the fact that all modern cars tend to oversteer for safety-reasons. By the way, so does a new GT3 if you don't change the suspension settings.

Has any of you solved the "problem" in a successful way? What did you change?

Thank you for your help.

Marc

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Marc- No experience with fixing it, but a larger rear anti-roll bar will help eliminate understeer. You might check and see if the GTO rear anti-roll bar and bushings will fit. I am assuming it is larger than the HGTE, although I have not seen specs on it yet. Another possiblity would be one I mentioned to M in his GTO thread. If the GTO wheels will fit, the fronts are increased in width by 1" in front (9.5") compared to the HGTE and only 1/2" in the rear (11.5") and that might also help alleviate understeer. Plus it would make for one mean-looking HGTE.

Taz
    Terry Philllips

crinoid likes this.
  3. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    What about a more aggressive alignment?

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jason- They can do that if they are willing to accept more tire wear. Most people are not. A little assymetric lowering might also help. Need to ask someone who races about both.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. doppioexpresso

doppioexpresso Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thanks for your help. I shall tell him to check if he can use the GTO parts. The wheels won't be an idea, we both don't like them very much. but that's just a question of taste...

Will tell you what we've done and how it affects the handling.

cheers

6. red360CS

red360CS Karting

Sep 30, 2005
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason
    just brake into the turn, left foot braking is easy with the F1. Rotate the car and hit the throttle.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just noticed you said no HGTE, so the HGTE rear anti-roll bar would be a logical first choice. The HGTE also had 1/2" wider tires to fight the same problem, but that is impractical unless you want to fit HGTE wheels or their OZ Mito Rosso equivalents.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. doppioexpresso

doppioexpresso Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Sorry, Car has a manual gearbox ;-)

9. doppioexpresso

doppioexpresso Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Thank you for your thoughts. He has now fitted the HGTE anti-roll-bar and we've been working on the suspension setting. The car now drives like a dream. Oversteer is gone and it corners like a dream!

Best Regards

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I love a happy ending.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

sf_hombre likes this.
  11. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Another option would be the H&R 25mm rear sway bar. This will help out as well I think its alot cheaper than the HGTE bar, would be $340 shipped.

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rob- Good thought. Not sure how expensive the HGTE rear bar is, but the original front bar is ~$800. Good thought for anyone else who wants a more neutral handling 599.

Maybe doppioexpresso can measure the diameter of the old and new anti-roll bars and we can file it away as a reference. On the 575M the rear bar went from 17 mm to 21 mm with the Fiorano Handling Package, as an example.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

13. coupe1

coupe1 Formula 3

Jan 15, 2007
    Singapore
    I have the same experience with my 2007 599 GTB. I cant to a full HGTE upgrade..mine is an early unit that cant do the vital transmission software upgrades. Even so, I was keen to do just the suspension upgrades from the HGTE kit. However, was told by my dealer that Ferrari will only sell a half kit , comprising of springs, rear sway bar and HGTE style rims and appropriate tyres. I am not keen on the wheels and asked for only the suspension pieces, but factory said no. Rational was that the better feel and handling would require the wider front rims and tyres the HGTE package would offer. I agree somewhat that the wider front rims and tyres must help a bit.
    Is it possible to perhaps order from Ricambi just the rear sway bar and springs?

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #14 tazandjan, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Give Daniel a call, but I think your dealer is blowing smoke. The kits are a good deal, but Ferrari has to be able to provide spare parts in case you damage the car by hitting something and damaging the suspension and anti-roll bar. Talk to the parts guy one on one and see if he can look it up.

Tell him it should be in Table 50 and you might have some success. A phone call to the parts department with that info and asking for the part numbers and price for the HGTE anti-roll bar and bushings is a good start. Springs next.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    #15 FNCOOL, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Just bumping back to topic to understand if only sway bar solved the majority of the problem and what suspension settings were changed.

Just bought PZeros for f/r 20" Challenge rims so don't wish to invest at this moment to wheels+tires. Rest of budget spent for a new full clutch replacement, engine/gearbox mounts and 6 in 1 header +secondary cat delete. PP performance tune for new exhaust set up is pending. So I really hope I can get away with just H&R rear (or rear+front) sway bar instal
    :)

16. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    That's fine - the 20" front challenge rim is 1/2 inch more in wide than the 19" five spoke front wheel.

I also thought about the HGTE or GTO sway bars but I'm not sure it affects the ride comfort too much.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The front Challenge wheels are exactly the same width, 8", as the 19" wheels. You were probably thinking about the HGTE fronts, which are 8.5".

18. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    20 fronts are 8.5 vs 19s 8.0 while tire base remains same at 245. Not sure why but maybe better width for 245s.

Unless cosmetically willing, track fun could be greatly improved with right sway bar (size-location)/camber&toe settings and of course sticky tires (preferably Trofeo R but I think they don't exist for these sizes).
    Sent from my VOG-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That is incorrect. The front Challenge wheels for both the 599 and the 612 are 8.0 inches, not 8.5 inches. Whatever your source was, it is incorrect. The HGTE fronts are 8.5 inches.

FNCOOL likes this.
  20. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    Ok, I am wrong :)

How much difference creates the 0.5 inch? Because a used one will cost all-around 5k usd so I think it makes more sense to pay a little more and get Coilovers if tracking will be significant. I will stick to what I have for a while and see what the car really needs.

21. FNCOOL

FNCOOL Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2020
    UAE
    Full Name:
    GEZEN BILIR
    And still have thicker sway bars aside. I understand that thickness is not the point, the stiffness is important so if Ferrari original is thinner but no hole and H&R is 25mm but has a whole, it may not be better than original. Need to find out about this and so far no one with H&Rs.

22. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    You are right - only the HGTE rim is half an inch wider - I mix something up.

GTO front wheel is 9.5 inch.