After nearly 15 years in the making, I finally own a Ford GT | FerrariChat

After nearly 15 years in the making, I finally own a Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Thecadster, Mar 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    (Cross-posted on other automotive forums I frequent)

So it’s been a long time coming, almost 15 years, but I am happy to report that I’m an owner. Here’s an earlier post that describes part of the journey. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146955225/

I started off targeting black, preferably black no stripe, but ended up with a white blue stripe. It’s a 2005 with sub-4000 miles, all original, one owner. It arrives in 9 hours, 6am Sunday morning. I’ll post some pictures below. In the meantime, here’s my car: https://www.bjmotors.biz/2005-ford-gt-c-13521.htm

So I have several people to thank.

First, I want thank the dealer I bought the car from, Bernie Katz at BJ Motors. Bernie was exceptional. Terrific communication. Knowledgeable on the product and marketplace. Accommodating, patient, and eager to please. In short, the perfect seller. I liked him so much, that I am about to talk myself into sweet 2017 Viper ACR that he has... Check him out. He carries a nice selection of unique cars. I can see myself buying several more cars from him in the future.

Bernie Katz
    BJ Motors
    804-399-0477
    bfkatz@bjmotors_DOT_biz
    www.bjmotors.biz

Second, I want to thank the Houston, TX area technician who performed the PPI for me. Mark Darraugh, at Sphere Motorsports was tremendous. He took on the car with very little notice. He called me several times to give me updates. After he completed the assessment, he prepared a comprehensive electronic report complete with pictures and recommendations. Ultimately, he made me comfortable enough to wire money on the car sight unseen. He’s from outside of London and at one point, in his distinct British accent, he said “...that is a fookin’ clean car...”. If anyone ever needs a PPI for any exotic car around Houston (he recently did a Porsche CGT), Mark’s your guy.

Mark Darraugh
    Sphere Motorsports
    832-277-7062
    mark@spheremotorsports_DOT_com
    www.spheremotorsports.com

Third, my personal transporter, Rashad Whitehead. I first learned about Rashad through my Ferrari dealer, Ferrari of Atlanta. He does most of their clients. He’s transported my previous F12, and my current 812, many times. He’s super competent, trustworthy, dependable, and fast. I contacted him Tues. He picked up the car Sat at 9:00am. He’ll have the car to me Sun at 6:00am. That’s bad ass. Obviously, when you buy a car like this, you want it yesterday. That’s where Rashad excels. He’s the only guy I trust with my babies.

Rashad Whitehead
    R&J Elite Transport
    919-607-5463
    rcwhitehead@gmail_DOT_com
    IG @r.j_elitetransport

Fourth, former member @Shark01 was instrumental in helping me move forward with my decision. Recently, he purchased a GT and shared his experience on a couple forums including this one. I reached out through PM with a couple questions. He was very generous in taking considerable time to help answer my questions. Later, in a fortuitous twist, he was able to confirm the condition/quality of the car I purchased because he had already spent time evaluating it for potential purchase. What’s more, he recommended that Mark perform the PPI, as Mark has recently completed his PPI (and he services his Lamborghini Diablo with Mark). His reassurances about Bernie, Bernie’s car, and Mark were the linchpin to my purchase. Super good guy, Shark01 is a car enthusiast who’s willing to do a solid for a guy he doesn’t know, all the way across the country.

Lastly, I want to highlight a positive experience I had with a dealer who’s car I didn’t buy. Chris Desneux, at Desneux Motorsports is an all-around great car guy. He had several fine offerings, and had I not struck the deal I did, I would have happily chosen one of his cars. Timely communications, deep knowledge of the marketplace, and unmistakable passion for Ford GT, Chris is a superior option for those looking for a GT. I am real close to buying a Demon he has. Great guy, you can’t go wrong with Chris.

Chris Desneux
    Desneux Motorsports
    816-365-6010
    chris@desneuxmotorsports_DOT_com
    www.desneuxmotorsports.com

Bobby_P, NeuroBeaker, Oz-ATL and 11 others like this.
  2. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I have an 06 with the same color combo.......it appears that more folks are looking for them recently...I wonder if Ford vs Ferrari had anything to with the recent interest in this car.

Gh21631 and Thecadster like this.
  3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I know it did for me. It served to remind me of the deep racing heritage. I saw it twice in the theater.

4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Quick update. The car arrived just as the sun was coming up. I wasted no time getting a quick 30 mile rip through the early morning countryside. Knowing the combination of 29 degree weather and 15 year old Goodyears don’t mix, I never went more than 1/3 throttle. There will be plenty of time to safely explore limitations, this morning was simply a “get to know you” exercise. We’ll advance the relationship further as time goes on. Here are my first thoughts:

1). The car itself was exactly as described...flawless. For all practical purposes, it looks showroom fresh. Even the drivers side seat bolster doesn’t give up its age. I truly cannot believe that it’s 15 years old. The casual observer who doesn’t know cars, would certainly assume it was purchased new yestereday.

2). It drives exactly how it did in my dreams. It tracks perfect. Feels raw and “race car-ish”, but effortlessly gobbles up bumps in the road at the same time. The engine has phenomenal grunt and sounds heavenly (although I might be doing some exhaust work to extract just a little “more” out of it). Of course, I love the old school bolt action tranny. I also love the analog nature, complete without driving nannies. Talk about end of an era. Perhaps most surprisingly, absolutely no squeaks or rattles. I can’t even believe it. My brand new 812 had peculiar noises from the very first drive. So did my Performante. I was able to get the latter to quiet down, and I’ll work on the former during its first service in May.

3). It’s a super tight fit. That probably understates the matter. Much tighter than I remembered from sitting in one while in Miami for the Super Bowl. I‘m going to need to investigate seat lowering. At 6’6” 255lbs, I am at the bleeding edge of the outer limits in terms of fitting in the car. Comfort is not even on the table. I wrenched my neck while leaning over to avoid being guillotined when shutting the door.

4). Driving the car feels oddly less conspicuous than either the Lamborghini or the Ferrari. Maybe it’s just me, but even though the car is priced similarly, it has a everyman quality to it.

In the next couple weeks, I’ll come back and provide more thorough driving impressions. One thing is for certain, I am rusty with a hand shaker, and never mind heel and toe....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Alex Hay, tomc, MK1044 and 7 others like this.
  5. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Congrats! Wonderful car :)

Thecadster likes this.
  6. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I have 26,000 miles on mine. You will love it. You will get tired of people telling you it is not a Ford.

Joe

Thecadster likes this.
  7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Congrats! Would have loved a 2017 ACR Extreme but the prices are too high relative to what's out there now.

Thecadster likes this.
  8. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Congratulations ! Is this the old "Viper Exchange" ? They changed the name ?

MDS

Face76 and Thecadster like this.
  9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Mike, I think they run both names? I also think they are somehow connected to Tomball Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram, which is in the Ben Keating family of car dealerships which include Toyota, Benz, BMW, etc.

http://www.viperexchange.com/about-viper-exchange-in-tx

Face76 and mikesufka like this.
  10. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    The Dealer Edition is amazing!

11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Quick update. I clocked 117.1 miles on my first day of ownership and then 35 more miles tonight. I’m totally smitten. It’s the perfect complement to my other cars and I couldn’t be happier. My front tires arrived today, the rears will arrive tomorrow, and all 4 will be installed on Wed. Sadly, the car goes in for PPF, etc on Wed too and will be there for 7-10 days. That’s going to really suck.

Boomhauer, C50, Face76 and 5 others like this.
  12. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Great looking car. The white and blue is a great combination.

lewishou and Thecadster like this.
  13. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Amazing car. My all time favorite. Congrats, and happy to see you’re already enjoying it

14. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Don't be too aggressive, it can be a handful. Don't drive it under 60 degrees, if it has the Goodyears.

Joe

of2worlds and DIGMAN52 like this.
  15. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Please don’t tell me that you crashed it already

16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Extremely sad update. The dealer that I purchased my GT from, and provided the glowing review in the earlier post, passed away earlier this week. I found out from his wife yesterday. I was following up on the title and a couple punch list items and she informed me by text using his phone. Even though I did not meet him in person, we connected immediately. Great guy. A bona fide enthusiastic. I was fully intending to buy more cars from him in the ensuing years to come. Indeed, I was about to make an offer on a Viper ACR he has. I just feel so bad for his wife and all his loved ones. I pray they find peace, comfort, and healing. He was only 59, which is just a kid for God’s sake. Nothing is promised, live every day to the absolute fullest.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9m860uj5VG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

of2worlds and exoticcardreamer like this.
  17. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    ^^

That's awful and so young !

MDS

Thecadster likes this.
  18. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Geez, that's awful. Prayers to his family.

Thecadster likes this.
  19. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Congratulations on the purchase, sorry to hear about the dealer..

Do you know the significance of the headlights, what they represent?

Thecadster likes this.
  20. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Bernie was a great guy, knew him 12 years, and bought several vehicles from him. Congrats on your car and glad you had a good experience with him!

Viper Exchange and BJ Motors were both run by Bernie, separate companies.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I’m sorry, but I do not. Do you know?

22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yeah. Good dude for sure. I’m still shook up over it. I was mid-cycle on hammering out a deal on one of his Vipers when he passed. I could have seen doing plenty of business with him over the next 5-10 years. Very upsetting.

23. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Thecadster likes this.
  24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And if you look at the passenger side, you will see you are a certified double-knot spy...

Davesvt2000 likes this.