Phone Mount / Holder solution thread | FerrariChat

Phone Mount / Holder solution thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by nycbrose, Mar 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I've recently been fed up with the phone mounting situation in various Ferraris and I finally decided to start a thread sharing some of my findings. I've purchased and tried a pretty wide range of products from Amazon at this point and I am also curious what solutions others have come up with. All of these solution require that the phone is mounted near the dash so the driver doesn't have to look down.

In general, I've found that no surface suction mounts worked; there simply aren't any flat surfaces in the interior (at least on the ones I tested). I couldn't help but applaud Ferrari for creating such a beautiful yet organic interior filled with these subtle curves and shapes.

Anyway, I'll start with my 812 Superfast

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This is an elongated magnetic vent mount that comes in a 2 pack from Amazon in a variety of colors. I've stuck 2 of them using the honeycomb panel between the air vents. The phone can be mounted either horizontally (if you use 2 pieces of metal sheets inside the phone case) or vertically. You can even still gawk at the Ferrari logo.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FYY1B23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

488 Pista

Another 2 pack from Amazon, this is also a magnetic vent mount that has a tightener around the clamps which coincidentally acts as leverage to stop the blades from moving. The Pista vents are angled downward so it was important to have a mount surface that swivels.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q3BN8WN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LaFerrari

I did not find a solution here, but the entire piece you see in carbon fibre is actually a "blade" that leaves a rather large gap above the perforated leather area. A custom "J" shaped hook would work I think. I would love to see how others have made it work. The vent blades are also situated too deep inside for standard length clamps, and like the 812, even if mounted the entire head will move with the phone. Maybe it was meant to be without any distractions...

Just thought I'd share because I know quite a few have run into these issues before. Would love to get this going for other models as well!

cpd1 likes this.
  2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Talk about 1st world problems!? :D Nice cars! I generally just keep mine in my pocket or toss it in the cup holder unless I'm driving a longer distance and want to use Waze.

3. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    First world problems for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    If you have any exposed fasteners, you can do what I recently did in my Alfa. I replaced one of the dash mounting M5 bolts with a Ram Ball 1" rubber ball mount, and used a piece of tubing as a bushing to take up the slack that the Ram Mount M8 bolt area provides. Then use a Ram clamp mount and a 25MM to 17MM adapter for mounting a phone or Garmin and you can pretty much swivel it to any position you want. The positioning is pretty flexible, and the mount is very stable.

psych0hans likes this.
  5. Lio

Lio Rookie

Sep 15, 2006
    Cambridge
    Here is my solution for a 488, but should also apply to 458.
    My phone is a Samsung Note 10+ so should work for any phone.
    I bought a couple of cheap magnetic mounts from Halfords, £12 each.

I stuck the round metal plates to the back of my phone case.

The mounts go in the offside air vent.

Works like a dream, completely stable even on bends and bumpy roads, and a breeze to pop on and off.

I may experiment with replacing the lower mount with one that sticks out more, to make the phone more vertical, but visibility is fine as it is.

Enjoy...but keep your eyes on the road :)

6. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Are there any solutions for the 458 that don’t involve the A/C vents? I bought a mount for the A/C vent and my iPhone overheats within 20 minutes when the vent is blowing heat. Need to figure out a different solution not involving the vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. yamashek

yamashek Rookie

Jun 5, 2006