Manhattan "Ferrari Parking Tax" | FerrariChat

Manhattan "Ferrari Parking Tax"

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rotate, Mar 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rotate

rotate Rookie

Jan 6, 2006
    Figured I'd turn my mild irritation into a chuckle. Parked on 6th avenue in Manhattan yesterday to run and get a bagel from the one and only Murrays. Was very happy with my spot as it was a rare and cherished semi protected space:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

To try and alleviate some of the rigor of driving around New York City I actually went to the effort of ordering a special no drill front plate mount so I wouldn't get harassed at the bridges and tunnels (I have been waived over and given a ticket 3 times in other cars for not having my front plate on). I leave the front plate on all the time now even though its a heinous wart sullying an Italian masterpiece.

Anyway, come back to my car, bagel in hand, to see that iconoclastic if not vulgar hue of orange nestled on my windshield that can only signify New York City has found some new way to make existing here even more punitive. Not to mention it also means the meter maid bent over my car and lifted my wiper....

Get a look at this:

Front plate location for reference:

As far as I can fathom, It would be very difficult NOT to violate this most bull **** laden of ordinances regardless of where I mounted the plate on the front. Have been driving silly vehicles in Manhattan for a decade, and this is a new one for me. Got to laugh.

I'd be happy to pay a yearly leave the me the **** alone one time fee that allows me to drive without constantly being in fear of bus lane/speed/red light cameras or other minor infractions. But at least I get to benefit from all of the myriad quality of life upsides that NYC provides like.....uh.....well.....

Happy Friday everyone.

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Unbelievable, could only happen in a major urban area.
    My friend had his new Jeep stolen from valet lot in Pgh. Insurance paid off the claim. Six months later he gets letter from Pgh. parking authority saying he owes many parking tickets. The stolen Jeep was driven all over Pgh. racking up parking fines with his original plate! He said. Don't you people check plates out in the stinking city?

3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Suggest double checking to see that ordinance says exactly that! Also, is the mounting at the plate level or the bracket level? If u add a spacer to raise the plate on the mount is that good enough?

SV

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I'd fight this one for fun. Did they actually measure? Does the ordinance actually say that. Some of the plate is more than 12" off the ground etc. Obviously not a factory bracket from no drill, but it is an actual bracket you purchased, you didn't just zip tie it to the grill. Like I say, might be fun to just drag the officer into court and see what happens if nothing else to show this person people to care and pay attention and it might be an educating experience for them.

Lusso123, willrace and LARRYH like this.
  5. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    They set the fines at a point that makes it not worth your time to fight it.... on purpose.

Lusso123, Wade and willrace like this.
  6. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Oh man. I know your pain. I remember a $125 bagel from UES pick-a-bagel and a $75 espresso from a LES long-closed place.
    My favorite was getting an expired meter ticket (missed it by 10min), driving a couple blocks and double parking to get a coffee. I figured, leave the ticket under the wiper and the meter maid will figure i’d already been cited.
    nope.
    Wrote me for the new one too.
    good times. (Volvo beater tax, btw)

7. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    #7 NYC Fred, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2020
    **** like this i why i abandoned NYC...

The Laws Of New York
    SECTION 401-B
    SECTION 402-A
    Section 402Distinctive number; form of number plates; trailers
    Vehicle & Traffic (VAT)
    1. (a) No person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration conspicuously displayed, one on the front and one on the rear of such vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground;

8. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    We have problems where I live, but they are a little different. We have more people completely disregarding the MV laws and just driving vehicles with expired registrations and inspections and letting their insurance lapse. It may have something to do with our outrageously high property taxes, or just the police not enforcing the laws (especially noise laws). And while some may think that's not all bad, just wait till one of these scofflaws hits you...now its your problem.
    The 65 dollar fine has more to do with picking the pocket of the masses than it does with making sure we are all safe.

9. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Isn't that why we carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage?

10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I wonder if that ordinance is copied in the suburbs.

I received a ticket without a plate , but I would have never in a thousand years imagined what you received . NYC government has gone to crap.

Thanks for sharing.

11. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Yeah, State V+T code.
    I avoid NYC as much as possible. Was tolerable during the Guiliani era, and to a certain extent during Mini-Mike's 3 purchased terms...but currently OTW downhill.
    Our squeegee guys are back.

rampante550, bmw_e30, DGPF and 2 others like this.
  12. JLopez

JLopez Rookie

Sep 3, 2009
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I wouldn’t even know how to react...like who got out of their car or was walking around measuring license plates?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    How and why did they determine the need for 12"? Seems frivolous or antiquated to me.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'd fight it just for spite. But... it's NYC. FYI.. MMMMMMmmmmm! REAL Bagels. One of the things I truly miss about NY.

Leonardo Mangiolino likes this.
  15. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    In court, bring this statute and indicate that isn't reasonably possible to mount it higher.

Wade, Lusso123, kes7u and 1 other person like this.
  16. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lol. Only in NYC! (I live there, too).

17. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    The 12-48 inch rule exists in just about every state (all I know of, maybe there's one out there that doesn't); it is used much more often for motorcycle enforcement than for cars, although lowriders fall prey to its regs more often than not; monster trucks, too, for the max height issue. The rules also govern the plate's relative angle to the ground (the fed rules say it can be 15 degree from straight up and down max). The reasonableness argument probably won't work, since to sell a car in the USA, it has to conform to the regs re placing plates front and back (and also those hideous bumper safety rules that result in the protrusions on the rear bumper that don't exist in Europe). Enforcing it is another issue altogether. Unless its scraping the ground, most authorities leave the car alone, especially an exotic. Tough to regulate common sense, though, both for drivers and enforcement folks.

18. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Seems challengeable.

Ordinance cites “reasonableness” as a mitigating requirement. Also, “placement” means what exactly? Lowest point of the plate, highest point or a mid point? A “reasonable” accommodation of the regulation is what you have given the design of the car.

But I’m sure you would have to go to court to get a judgement and risk a worse result...

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You know, it's miscreants like you that encourage a lawless society. A $65 ticket is too light of a sentence. If you contest that ticket and I was the judge, you would get 5 to 7 years in Sing Sing (is there still a Sing Sing?) and fortiture of your car (to me).

And BTW, I once got a single slice of pizza in Italy that cost me more than $65, but that's another story. :D

DGPF and kes7u like this.
  20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Land of the fee. Gotta pay for the ever growing government size and pensions.

21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well it is ny. you have money and a nice car.
    therefore they hate you and will abuse you until you give up.
    better to leave soon and deprive them of any further opportunities to scam you.

NYC Fred, kes7u and bball16 like this.
  22. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    This all just reminds me why I park in Jersey City and take the PATH train when I go to Manhattan. Between the “squeegee guys” coming back and this kind of crap, I don’t think I’ll even drive though Manhattan on my way to Long Island...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DGPF likes this.
  23. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All my cars have Florida plates, so there is no front. I can’t tell you how many times the police were driving towards me, made a U turn to get behind me, only to see the Florida plate and drive away pissed.

GuyIncognito and Lusso123 like this.
  24. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    This is a case where the need to deliver payment in full, in pennies, goes a long way :D

Leonardo Mangiolino likes this.
  25. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Unbelievable!

Solution: move to Michigan, no front plate

Reacherman1022 likes this.