Meaning of barcode on Ferrari OEM rim....repair ? - see pic | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Meaning of barcode on Ferrari OEM rim....repair ? - see pic

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rocketman, Nov 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Rocketman....no disrespect intended. I would be pissed as well. I'm just trying to understand what happened. It all comes down to whether Dan pulled the wheels for the repair. If he did....then it is his responsibility. If he didn't which is what I infer his position is.....then something else happened which Dan theorized as a pre-existing problem.

I do not have a copy of the 488 service manual (which is less relevant) and no one who has personally removed a 488 bumper (far more relevant) has commented on this thread. I don't doubt what you claim I would just like to verify it with someone who has actually pulled a 488 bumper since your entire claim rests on that procedure.

Everything else is just noise. Being in the car repair business is not easy especially servicing exotics. They probably have done hundreds of cars. No one is perfect and people based failures still occur.

BTW you still have one of the hottest Avatar's on Fchat.

John_K_348 and Jaguar36 like this.
  2. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    #52 rocketman, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    I appreciate your inquisitiveness.
    Although I don't feel the need to justify my claim any further, since the evidence is quite clear, I will elaborate one more time.
    FYI....I received more than a dozen PM's from folks "in the business" agreeing with me and confirming the wheels have to come off and confirming the explanation being given by Dan is total BS......since they are in the business, understandably they do not want to post publicly.
    Common sense dictates that this was not a pre-existing problem since I had been driving the car for 2 years without an issue....if it was a question of paint softening from an alleged wheel repair and therefore loosening the torque on the lugs the problem certainly would have presented itself the 1st, 2nd or 50th time I drove the car during my 2 years of ownership....it didn't just mysteriously and coincidentally occur the day after the work was done and the car was returned to me.
    I understand nobody is perfect but when a mistake is made, especially in business, it is best to "man up" and admit the error rather than try to bamboozle the customer with excuses that don't hold water.
    In this case, more than one error was made and more than one BS excuse was given for why the screw up happened......( failed paint job, wheel falling off, not returning the "defective" wheel to me despite my request for it, etc. )
    You see a pattern here INRange ?
    As I said in my previous post, if anyone wants to take their $300k + exotic to Bradan after reading this thread, and others that can be found on F-chat, then best of luck to them.
    One thing you can be sure of is I won't be returning and hopefully neither will anyone I know.

3. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    #53 John_K_348, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Exactly! And if the lugs had come loose AFTER being torqued for 2 years. You would have noticed it on the first or second thread spin out or shortly afterward. At about 20 threads, which is about what I count in turns when I remove the lug bolts on my 360, The wheel would be flopping around and you would know it was coming off. OR it would have been snug and mildly bonded to the hub face from normal corrosion and metal oxidation, THEN it could have snapped free. But it would not have wandered during this process. The paint in the shoulder wells or even on the hub face seems just plain unbelievable. Who in their right mind would mount a wheel like that? Oh wait... I remember... some dumb kid, new on the job, clueless and in the employ of someone else. Shop owner, bite the bullet and pay this out.

Some of you may have seen the show Restoration Garage on Velocity now MotorTrend channel. Remember the episode where this fly-by-night engine shop tries to hold a handful of their engines hostage (including and Alfa), demanding full payment after dragging their feet for a while and agreeing to pay half before half on delivery or something like that? The new shop manager feels they should just pay the ransom and get the engines out of their forever. The shop owner (Dan is it?) says no way and to tell the engine guy to get a lawyer because he will "break" them" or put them out of business with legal fees or something to that effect. I think the pressure of a show like Amelia Island or something forces them to bailout the engines and never look back, but he was ready to crush that punk engine shop because of their incompetence and criminal dealings. The guy probably tanked on a couple other jobs and was squeezing them to pay the rent or bills or payroll , whatever... Not cool but it does happen. If the shop had someone screw up, then they need to deal with it and make a claim on their insurance. They do have insurance right? And that may be the issue. This is how you take a $5000 paint job and nearly total a $300,000 exotic.

Oh and the bit about stickers and wheel #2 holds some merit as well. If a shop had done 2 or more wheels on another car and in the same shop, you are already set up for confusion between the two. Forgetting to torque the bolts is close behind that. I nearly did this when I finished the mud flaps for my Quad last week. But I caught myself, grabbed the wrench, and rested my tired bones later. The car never moved, except for up and down of course. I could not get the the rear fender liner fasteners without removing the 19 inch 10 inch wide wheel. ;)

4. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Scott, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. Things like that take away the fun of owning a Ferrari.
    I've never had a personal experience with the shop in question. However, I will have to agree with Scott just simply by using logic and facts:
    1) Original owner that he never removed the wheels.
    2) Drove the car for 2 years, 2500 miles without any problems.
    3) An immediate issue with the wheel right after getting it back from a shop...
    Regardless the fact that you might or might not have to remove the wheel in order to remove the rear bumper, all these facts that i just mentioned justify Scott's claims. In regards to the sticker on the wheel. It might be an original sticker or might not be. There is also a theory circulating in my head that the wheel was damaged during transportation or in the shop and they tried to fix it by respraying it. So the wheel actually might have come off regardless.

5. MBi

MBi Rookie

May 9, 2016
    New York
    I know this is a old thread but do you have a another good independent shop you suggest?

6. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Whatever you do don't use Bradan.
    This is not a one off that happened.
    I'm not the only one who has had issues with them.
    They try to fool folks by posting glossy pictures from their shop but it's all smoke and mirrors....wish I had known.