Why I hate McLaren | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why I hate McLaren

Discussion in 'British' started by Igor Ound, May 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #26 noone1, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  2. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    McLaren's performance is good. And they're nice cars to drive. But they still lack Ferrari and Porsche like quality and beauty.

3. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Interesting tidbit from the press release:

“Depending on where the vehicle is sold, two titanium valves are additional to the titanium exhaust pipes; standard-fit under EU legislation, this arrangement enables a quieter exhaust note at lower engine speeds, or a more engaging tone and sound at higher revs.”

So Mclaren is listening and has developed two different exhaust systems for markets outside the EU. It’s a pity Ferrari hasn’t chosen to do the same....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT

TheMayor likes this.
  5. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow, that thing is badass. It's way better in looks and tech changes than I thought it would be. I say it's a winner and the most desirable McLaren, even more than the Senna.

Gh21631 and BJK like this.
  6. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Have you ever sat in a 720s? The fit and finish in the '19s is pretty much on par with Ferrari. Performance wise not much can match it under $700k.

Boomhauer, F2003-GA and JAM1 like this.
  7. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I like it.

Not more than a fully viewable engine bay from inside the cabin like some cars but a porthole is cooler than none. As always with Mclaren, I’m more impressed by the engineering than the overall looks...the cars have these handful, notable pockets of beauty but as a whole is quite a fussy design language.

For me the best view of the car is the rear.

8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What cars can you see the engine bay from the cabin? I think this is pretty unique in that sense. Or do you mean if you actually get up and turn around and look down there through the window?

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    yes, just look back to see some motor

paulchua likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #35 paulchua, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    A recursional recursive comment if there ever was one, at least you're an equal opportunity pontificator.

nmcclure and BJK like this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Merriam-Webster: "recursional" - The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. (hmmm, was curious because that was a new word to me :) )

paulchua likes this.
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have to give McLaren credit. The things they are doing is just remarkable. This car is bonkers.

Boomhauer, JAM1 and BJK like this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #38 paulchua, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    pointless(pointless)
    {
    pointless(pointless);
    }

It's CS parlance. Though you're right, proper grammer would have been 'recursive' not 'recursional'. Been hanging with engineers too long where language arts is not the forte. Thanks for the correction!

BJK likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Agreed, love this car, and I think the porthole window is very cool. A nice touch. McLaren is doing great things.

TheMayor likes this.
  15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When Ferrari put the engine under glass in mass production, it introduced "drama" into the look of a sports car. Now everyone is trying to find the next step. Its not just numbers that drive people to want to pay these amounts of money. Its DRAMA and beauty and awesome engineering.

Boomhauer, BJK and paulchua like this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Completely agree, I really like it. I don't think it's pointless at all btw, that's why I disagreed with @noone1 banal assessment.

TheMayor likes this.
  17. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #42 noone1, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    What I meant is that it's a window that you'll rarely look into and that isn't even very easy to look into.

So yes, it's an interesting attempt at doing something new in the segment, but I don't really think it adds much of anything.

McLaren has a trend of this lately. 720S has the glass pillars which greatly improved visibility. It has the glass roof panels which though you'll rarely even look out them still lets some more light into the cabin. The Senna has the glass door panels. This porthole to the engine behind your seat though is a bit whatever. If it was an option, I wouldn't spec it.

I think the whole view-of-the-engine thing is no longer terribly popular or important. It was cool and it's cool for random people on the street, but when you actually own the car that wears off pretty quickly. There's nothing to really look. The engines are getting crammed deeper and deeper into the car that you can barely even see anything meaningful anymore. You're just looking at a bunch of plastic covers.

psych0hans likes this.
  18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Pointless and useless? True
    Kinda cool? Also true ;)

Boomhauer and paulchua like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Usually, I would say 'good points' considering aesthetics and form are primarily subjective elements. However, finding your original comment and subsequent attempt at making a personal judgment call as objective fact, is once again, an example of the recursion.
    Cool, you don't like it. Specific paint color is theoretically* pointless as well, you going to the point that out next?

*Maybe you'll say some matt finishes are lighter.

20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    @BJK, he's not being recursional, but definitely recursive.

:)

BJK likes this.
  21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #46 BJK, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020

Attached Files:

22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Kill it with fire

psych0hans likes this.
  24. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I kind of like it. It just seems they could've made it at a price point for mortals. But I have a thing for barchetta's no matter how impractical they are.

Boomhauer likes this.
  25. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019