Old photos of UK Ferrari | Page 44 | FerrariChat

Old photos of UK Ferrari

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wheels1, Dec 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    It definitely looks like the most likely plate based on records, but I also noted the same differences. The only other reg I thought it could possibly be (if the light was playing slight tricks with the digits) was FPK 30J. What was the original spec of 14269?

-Ed

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    It was originally red/black. In 1978 it did have, probably from new, nudge bar and fogs and was by then black/black. It was later blue met dino and then red. It is also possible that this car was also converted to pop up light from new, as well as #14121. Also by 1978 it was already registered WHH314J and had been EKT2 before that.

3. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    When you say converted 'from new', do you mean ex-factory? I've got s/n 14121 coming in on the same date as 14103 new (early March), so my thought has always been that the former was a Plexi car originally (although as far as I know that's still not confirmed one way or the other).

Subsequently, there seems to be a circa 3-month period with no apparent UK deliveries, and then s/n 14269 and 14275 arrive (June). These two I have assumed were the first factory pop-up headlight cars, based on the gap. Is that incorrect?

-Ed

4. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    As you probably know, when 14121 was going through Classiche at the beginning of 2017, it was established that it was supplied by the Factory as a plexi car but was converted to pop-up (I think by Mike Osgood on behalf of Maranello Concessionaires) since no-one wanted plexi cars once pop-ups came out. IIRC it was suggested up to 5 UK cars may have had similar treatment. 14121 was converted to plexi for Classiche - even though it had been pop-up its entire life. I HATE Classiche. It is one thing for Ferrari to want to make money out of their old cars but another entirely to erase all the history of a car to get their tacky certificate.

Daytonafan likes this.
  5. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Interesting! I didn't know that about its Classiche process, but am unsurprised given the delivery date.

-Ed

6. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    A friend worked there at the time and remembers two MAYBE three arrived with the pop up kit in the car. In the case of #14121, the then owner had the choice over the Classiche headlight situation. He would have had to change the pop ups to have squared off corners. Then he changed to colour inside and out, then added headrests that the car never had. Then sold it ! Amazing.

7. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    635CSI likes this.
  8. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    The replies to the Instagram post tell you that it is Brandon Motors. They were Ferrari Main dealers in Coventry in the 1970s.

bernardo66 likes this.
  9. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Ah thanks. I didn't think of scrolling down the replies.

10. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  11. DW68

DW68 Rookie

Dec 31, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    D Wilson
    #1086 DW68, May 5, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2020
    Hello Marcel,
    I have just created an account on here as I have stumbled across your site and this post in particular.
    In 1985 i started as a trainee car salesman in one of the showrooms owned by Ian Swift, sadly this was soon after he died so I never actually met him.
    When I was given my first desk in the showroom, Ian's 275GTB 6C Ch 8047GT was parked next to me whilst the family decided what to do with it and it remained there for some years. A nice thing to be sat next to as a teenager and I remember sat in it dreaming on a few occasions!
    It was red at the time and on Borrani's Ian had added, the reg was YY18.
    Around 1989, it was made roadworthy (to some degree) and I was lucky enough to be asked to ride shotgun whilst it was to go into Bristol for the reg number to be transferred. I vividly remember how this static object just came alive, the noise! Echoing off the urban buildings was amazing and on the return trip changing up from 3rd to 4th passing through 120mph is still clear in my mind now. The car was restored by Bob Houghton (returning to it's original metallic blue) and then sold in the early 90's.
    If you google this car you will see it was sold not long ago by Tom Hartley Jnr and showed GGJ 9C although i am sure when YY18 was taken off, it became TEU36C.
    I do have some photos I took of it which i can send you if you can give me your email address, my ipad really struggles with this site for some reason.
    So, I cannot confirm if Ian owned any other Ferrari's, my hunch is it was only this one alongside a brown E Type Convertible V12, a Silver Shadow and a Rolls Royce 20HP Ghost which were all sold soon after he died leaving the Ferrari.

Best Regards
    Paul Gentle

12. DW68

DW68 Rookie

Dec 31, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    D Wilson
    Hello - ref 275GTB TEU36C Ch08047, I have posted new background info on this if you check my post history. Regards Paul

13. DW68

DW68 Rookie

Dec 31, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    D Wilson
    You are correct, I've posted new background pics and info on this car if you check my posts history

14. 288First

288First Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    Not rubbish Derek. Chris Rea used to compete in the Maranello Challenge, a race series for owner drivers.

15. Stuart Jones

Stuart Jones Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stuart Jones
    Well, this is my first submission to this forum.... 2 photos taken at 1985 FOC gathering at Goodwood, 275GTB at Motofair 1983, followed by a 308GTB taken at Thruxton, probably 1984-85 (there was a metallic brown early Countach next to it, owned by Frank Bradley (Plate FJB 1) . It is that GTB that spurred me on to save and purchase one 19 years ago... which sadly I only kept a few years.

I guess tastes have changed, I can't see anyone putting such absurdly wide wheels on a Boxer these days?

This is a link to my 308GTB changing hands from the person I sold it to. Anyone know where it is now?

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/events/2015-auctions/race-retro-classic-car-sale-2015/race-retro-classic-car-sale-2015-sale/race-retro-classic-car-sale-2015-sale-session/1978-ferrari-308-gtb

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

stocky, bertrand328 and Simon like this.
  16. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Devon, I believe.

You might also want to check out the Instagram account for ferrari250swb who posted a picture of your old car when it was blue earlier today.

17. jc larrieu

jc larrieu Rookie

Jan 30, 2015
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Jean Claude Larrieu
    Hi This photo of a 250 GTO was shooted in 1965 while I was serving in the army in Trier ( Germany ) , it's me aside the Ferrari . It was registered in Italy , and it was for sale !!! The place is a military airfield where race car events occured several times over the year .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

635CSI, stocky, jimlt4383 and 3 others like this.
  18. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Must be great memories Jean Claude!

Gr. Martin

19. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #4115 GT.

20. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Hunted out the Ecurie Ecosse pictures, from the early 90s taken in Camperdown Park Dundee. (
    Apologies for the poor quality.)

amenasce likes this.
  21. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I think that one went wrong...

Gr. Martin

22. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The Daytona Spyder looks like a conversion, but very nice.

23. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    The Stratos, if that is what you refer, was Rowan Atkinsons. So Dino V6 powered :) .

24. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I think the reference was to the pictures not actually being there not to the content of one that we can't actually see!!

25. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Sorry, I assumed everyone could see them, I can. I will work out what I have done wrong.