Early grigio 328 for sale in Vancouver | FerrariChat

Early grigio 328 for sale in Vancouver

Discussion in '308/328' started by SpyderGT, Mar 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Over priced. Will not sell. Dealer is looking to double the money. Ridiculous asking price. Love the 328..but let's be real.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    WAYYYY over priced. I like the paint color - but hideous interior color. Was that "rattle can red"?

Jedi

4. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Wait, if that's in Canadian then it's $70k USD or I'd say then only about $10k overpriced, if it's USD then WAY over priced

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good point - they don't make that clear.

But it would still have the "rattle can red" interior :rolleyes:

Jedi

ChipG likes this.
  6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    That's why I think it's a $60k USD car

Jedi likes this.
  7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    $95k Canadian is about $70k US

8. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    You guys think 70k is over priced for a 328 with 21k miles on it?
    I only took a quick look at the ad so maybe I missed something.

cmt6891 likes this.
  9. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I was a dealer for 25+ years so I'm always a little lower than most on this forum.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Isn't Grigio a "rare" color?

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Every color that isn't red seems to be rare in someone's opinion...

ChipG likes this.
  12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Don’t get the comments..
    $70,000 seems high for this 328? Love the grigio exterior and while interior color isn’t something I’d personally choose it will appeal to someone.
    Plenty of Fugley cars running around, this isn’t one of them.

moysiuan likes this.
  13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Like me, I love this color combo. I also love blk/red. Just picked up a grigio 348 spider wish it had either tan or this red interior vs the black it does but I'll keep it

308 milano likes this.
  14. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    You could always wear sunglasses to tone down the red :) (or re-dye it.)

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Pretty uncommon but never in big demand. Red is a reasonably popular interior color but with black or white exterior.

Condition or mileage aside the color combination and being a gray market car hurts it.

16. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    I think it's beautiful and in Canadian dollars, not overpriced, in my opinion, around $70K US dollars, is that too much? I don't think so.

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Dennis,

I, too, think the colors are striking and I think the combination looks brilliant!

I would agree the the overall USD price is not out of line, however, you are not considering where the car is located and how this relates to price. I say this, as having watched and observed the Ferrari market here in Canada and how it relates to the US I definitely have seen a bit of a pattern. Unless the car is question is super rare or very low priced most US buyers will simply pass on Canadian cars. I suspect the reasons for this are varied, but I believe one of the more common reasons is because the US market is filled with far more similar models and US Buyers perceive much less risk (no importation needs, possible EPA issues because the car is Canadian, difficulty finding Canadian shops for inspection, etc) and less effort to simply buy a car from another US State. In fact even vehicle transport between Canada and the US can be an issue (cost can be 2-3x as much as in the US) depending upon where the car is located and the season. With that said I suspect the above are reasons why car Canadian car pricing is not simply the currency exchange rate differential.

Cheers,

Sam

SpyderGT, 308 milano and tbakowsky like this.
  18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    All good points and as someone who has considered a couple cars from canada, reasonable barriers for sure. I'm not so sure EPA regs are that big as most cars were spec'd for north america, not just canada specific but it is still a item to consider. It's hard because unless you've gone through the process of importation it seems a little bit of a hassle, but other research says it can also be super simple. So yes, unless one has done the importation a time or two to know what it really entails the process is an obstacle for sure at least in theory.

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

My point about EPA was a poor choice of words on my part... I really meant US compliance requirements (e.g. US requires the speedometer in Miles, Canada is Km/H, etc). Indeed, the importation into the US "can" be very straightforward and simple, however, there still can be issues and there are additional efforts with co-ordinating with the transport agent (because of cross border shipping) and arranging for a customs broker. These things are not show stoppers, but my point is if someone can find a comparable car closer to them and/or already in the US the question is why bother with cars outside of the US? One answer could be because of price... and so all things being equal for a Canadian Car to appeal to a US Customer then the car has to be quite special and/or lower priced than what a US customer could buy closer to them. With that said, I am not knocking Canadian cars but simply providing a possible reason why a Canadian car might need to be priced lower than a comparable US car in order for it to be appealing to a US Customer. Why consider a US Customer/market?... simply because the US is a significantly larger market than Canada for these cars.

Cheers,

Sam

tomberlin and SpyderGT like this.
  20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    With this specific car it is not a North American model but a European version. So there are unknowns how the car is currently equipped as far as emission equipment.

SpyderGT likes this.
  21. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I only posted the link because it's an early car. I owned '86 GTS 60949 which had a Nov 1985 build. The grigio car is 60265. I just thought that might be of interest to some members.

I agree with the comments regarding cars for sale in Canada and their potential, or lack of, appeal to US buyers, even if the car originated in the US, as mine had. I speculate that far more Canadians will import US cars to Canada, as I did, than the reverse. And, as Rifledriver points out, the grigio car is not a US model. I don't know what the current market is for 328's in Canada but I think the grigio car might be over-priced even in Canadian dollars in Vancouver.

Jon

22. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    So, a low Km 328 car, among the most mechanically reliable of the 308 series with the galvanized body, in interesting colours (I would prefer burgandy to the red, but its not a crazy combo), if everything has been maintained to a high standard, what should it be worth, in Canada? The selection of cars here is thin, good ones not typically for sale, and importing takes time and costs as an alternative. Inflation never stopped last I checked. I think people in the US and Europe are spoiled for choices. If the maintenace is deferred, and things like hoses and such need a replacement for age, then a suitable discount would apply. Will be interesting if this trades, I suspect it will for higher than people seem to think.

23. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Hmmm..... all good points, I am in Canada and bought my 308GTBi up from the us 14 years ago, always "valued" it as US prices plus Canadian conversion, but I do see your point, however IF a Canadian wants to buy one that's already in Canada, that could save a few grand, indeed it cost me $5K back then, shipped in an enclosed car transporter. (you don't want to know how much I've spent on it since)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 milano and moysiuan like this.
  24. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    It looks like a work of rolling art especially compared to the parking lot roommates in the picture!

Dino246gt likes this.