Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 154 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    I meant it's faster in a straight line compared to the old turbo s.

2. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    I have a hard time to decide if I should order a F8 now (waiting period at least 18 months) or just wait and buy a used one 18-24 months from now?

Waiting period is so long that I believe some will be available for sale already and those cars will have had their first hit?

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    With 992tts available for delivery june July and better priced even fully loaded, also very well equipped with CF rood etc. Performance numbers look exceptional and both being all-rounders 992tts would undoubtedly prove the better car for all purposes other than perhaps appearances. The 992 wins over the F8 0 to 100 as well. So F8 is already headed for trouble! This would make for an even better case for a Pista in favor of.

gabf1 and mdrums like this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Just 4WD traction and gearing. The F8 is more than 1'' quicker to 200 kph.

5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    The 911 would be a great daily driver, but lacks the sexiness and exotic flavor of the F8. Choosing just one it would be the F8 every time.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  6. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    Being a multiple Porsche owner...1987 930, 2012 997.2 Turbo and now a 2018 GT3T (and several other P cars) I can attest to the fact that Porsche makes a fantastic sports car....and Porsche produces MANY cars (60,000 total cars in the US alone annually) with many different 911 variants...and they all have the same basic appearance...

Also owning a 2015 458 Spider...and now awaiting an F8....The Ferrari is definitely more of a classic sports car...and because of their relative rarity F cars are always more unique...appx 10,000 Ferraris produced annually

If you are looking for just performance numbers then the 992tts may be the car to purchase..but if you are looking for a beautiful piece of art that you can drive and have excellent performance numbers then the F8 in my eyes is the winner...

PhilNotHill, buddyg and gowthamn like this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    No comparison between a TurboS and the F8. I have owned a dozen Porsches from 993 Turbo to 997 Turbo S coupe and cab. All great cars but lacking in the visceral driving dynamics and appearance is mundane compared to Performante, 720S or F8. The GT series definitely enhances the driving experience but it still looks like a 911 with stripes and wings. As accomplished as the GT2/RS may be, no interest in owning one.

Dicecal likes this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    New model exotics that take 12 months or more to arrive from initial order, do not lose much if any value in the first year of introduction. There are many who are too impatient to wait 18 months for their car to be delivered and will consequently pay list for one available immediately. Buying a used F8 in 18-24 months will result in very little ,if any savings from MSRP. Furthermore, the spec will never match that which you would have ordered so it will inevitably result in a compromise. If you delay a purchase for 36 months, then savings can be had on a used one.

pninja005 likes this.
  9. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Depends on driver and conditions...neither of which enter into my buying decision. Driveability, aesthetics, performance capabilities, brand, etc. are what matter to me and most others buying high end cars. Theoretical track performance in the hands of unknown drivers in unknown conditions is magazine fodder...unless you’re a serious track rat. However, if this is the case, a street car isn’t the right tool anyway. If the objective is best performance for the dollar, buy a vette.

OSUferrari, Drson and Jo Sta7 like this.
  10. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    I am very new to the board so I haven't read many noone posts. My impression is that he is not an owner but a car enthusiast who likes to rattle Ferrari owners' cages.

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No ones cage is being rattled. It’s the musings of a wannabe know it all that has zero first hand experience of anything he/posts. Zero.

Glenn Quagmire and Coincid like this.
  12. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Wish I shared your opinion, I’d save myself a lot of money! I tried hard to like the 911’s, too plain, uninspiring and just not for me.

Coincid likes this.
  13. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    Drove the F8 today

Compared to my 2015 458 Spider the difference is significant

Appearance...front hood appears shorter, back end seems wider and the S duct appears smaller than photos

Photos really can’t seem to capture the beautiful lines of this Ferrari

Acceleration-wickedly fast...

Steering/Handling-very nimble and light feeling

Transmission-extremely quick and definitive

Suspension-rock solid, no jitters or shake at all, comfortable even on rough roads...

Exhaust/engine sound-much louder than I thought on cold start with a deeper bass frequency than I anticipated...inside the cabin it sounds great...especially at 5k rpm and above

Brakes-plenty of stopping power
    Lexan engine cover-really no problem seeing vehicles behind you, but not as clear as a solid glass...but the louvres look fantastic...I tried to see the discoloration that has been described but did not appreciate it...the louvres are curved and you can see a difference in the color of the light reflecting off the edge...but that is just the light waves being bent like through a prism...

I am no expert but just my impression...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH, jm2, ntatfas and 8 others like this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    These two will do most of their duties sub 200. And 1"? You mean 1 sec? Although maybe it will only prove 1" quicker around a circuit.:D

Both cars will appeal to the same audience - subjective appearances aside - the point of my post being F8 is most certainly now under assault yet is still a long time away for many who have ordered it in so far as just being delivered. There are other brands also releasing new cars....

The new 992tts, whether the Ferrari camp likes it or not, will most certainly give the F8 more than just a good run for its money in every single way (other than subjective appearances) especially when one considers the prowess of the car, how it's built, the superior price point even fully loaded, and the fact that one can still put considerable mileage on it and sell it with relative ease to the wider used market who will mostly view it as a better proposition for the aforementioned reasons. And, in terms of driver involvement and engagement, engine sound etc they are also very much on the same page.

gabf1 likes this.
  15. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    And in the end it’s (992tts) still not and never will be a Ferrari........

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #3841 Shadowfax, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Actually in the beginning AND end, both will be what they are - afterall - to state the obvious - a Porsche is not a Ferrari in the same way a Ferrari is not a Porsche!

These 2 cars are both alternatives to one another pitching in the same segment. This is the point!

Again not wishing to labor the point, but prior to 992tts's release it was not available as an option to that segment and now, the Porsche can be bought and had way earlier, used and enjoyed whilst awaiting F8 or, any other new model which surfaces in between time presenting as an equal if not more viable or attractive alternative to F8.

In many ways this is exactly what happened to GTB where newer models released within a year after only pushed it further faster and harder through the floorboards. Once these easier and more readily available models were released to that market segment it was game over for 488. And don't I know it! My wallet is still reeling from the exercise!

And another funny thing (if you can call it funny) was how my 991tts sold within a few days of being advertised - and for very good money considering the time and miles on it (near 5 years and 40K) - where the 488 which was like new (only 16 months and 10K) sat and sat and sat taking a very nasty hit just to move it. And thankfully i took the massive pill or it'd be a hell of a lot bigger today.

17. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    992 tts definitely more quickly available and more common

F8 definitely has a much longer wait time and rarer...

no argument with these two facts...

Depends on what you want...

Since Porsche has a more generic appearance and Ferrari more individual appearance .....and owning both I just prefer the Ferrari just because it is more of a special car to me where the Porsche is not...I have had some Porsche variant since 1986...944, 964, 996 x 2, 997 x 2, Cayman S, Cayenne, Panamera...coupes and cabs...

And both are great sports cars....

Just my two cents....

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #3843 Shadowfax, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    F8 wont be rare. Many will be made. You will pay a ton for an F8 yet it will lose an unforgettable amount of money. This is the most annoying reality for the Ferrari new car buyer now. Added to this harsh and brutal reality is that even most of the electric cars coming out will offer the same comfort levels and higher performance for less money and won't sound that much worse. Let's face it Ferrari can't even keep up with Maclaren since 720 was released. So if the aspect of exclusive superior performance is gone, resale values are in the toilet, and the appearance of F8 is the only thing supporting the ridiculously high price tag then that too is also going to be short lived. It's just a matter of time.

And, the element which you refer the Ferrari to as being "the more special sports car" belongs to models such as the 458, Speciale, Gt3rs and the earlier atmo and manual versions. F8 need not apply. Also, there is nothing very "exclusive" about losing a ton of money over a label.

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    So I guess we should include BB in this equation then? :)

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  20. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    As for the transmission which as you said was extremely quick and definitive, quicker than the Pista's transmission ?

21. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    I have a 993tt - an iconic,beautiful,last of the air cooled gems and a new 488 Spider in my garage.When I open the garage door and try to decide which one to drive that day, I invariably choose the 488 over the Porsche-never a thought about the bang for the buck or resale value.There's just something about cruising around in the Ferrari-something that doesn't really exist in the Porsche.What's that worth?

Coincid and Drson like this.
  22. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    Depends on what you consider rare...if the F8 is only produced for two model years and is the last V8 produced by Ferrari...thus the Tributo...there will be maybe 6000 at the most...and since most customers are ordering the spider the coupe will be rare compared to other models...
    The 992 tts will produced in much larger numbers and you can get one in less than three or four months

I am not at all concerned about depreciation or losing money.....I buy my cars to drive and enjoy...and plan to keep the F8...,,life is just too short...so if you are so concerned about that aspect maybe you should just wait and buy a used McLaren...some of them have dropped 50-60% from sticker...and that would reduce your anxiety level...

The F8 is “more special to me”....I’m really don’t care if is not special to anyone else....
    The cars you mention are of no interest to me as I don’t track my cars...on my streets they would not be a joy to drive...
    With the F8 I’m getting 95% Pista performance and 100% more of a daily driver...so for me the best of both worlds....I have a Porsche GT3 Touring so it satisfies my manual transmission needs...

Only time will tell....

Just my two cents....

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'd also choose and drive a 488 everyday over an old tech 993 which on today's scale isn't a very pleasant car to be in. And it goes without saying if attention getting is your bag then the 488 wins hands down over the old 993.

Not sure if some of you got the points made in my previous posts but it seems to have thrown a few into defense mode which is really not necessary if you take the points being made into correct context rather than automatically feeling violated.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Heard that story before - getting very old. Usually the ones singing that song squeal the loudest from what I've seen so far. Makes me LOL especially when the chickens come home to roost.

25. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    I never mentioned the Pista...strictly referring to the F8....

I could have driven the Pista they have on the floor but declined....

I have a Porsche GT3 Touring...so in the Ferrari I was looking for something a little different...I am sure that the Pista is a fantastic car.....but it really is not what I was looking for...

Boomhauer likes this.