Maserati Khamsin | Page 319 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello,

Sorry I have data on all the other 109_ cars but that one no zero.

I can get you its basic information from the factory at no charge: date finished, paint and interior colors and to what dealer it went new.

What can you share plase about it: history photos?

Best regards,

Marc

2. fidia#99

fidia#99 Rookie

Mar 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    mike plater
    Hi Marc
    Thanks for the fast reply and yes any information would be great, I have owned this Kham for 35 years, but now my 9year old daughters illness forces a sale. Please PM me for the full 35 year backstory.
    Thanks in advance

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Mike very sorry for your daughter, very best wishes to her and her family.

PM just sent.

Best regards,

Marc

4. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger, great find, hopefully it will ger the love and care it has sorely been deprived of, had no photos of it, here is what I had:

3rd November 2016: according to Fabio Collina of Maserati Classiche, this car was in Poland as of 2015.

6. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  7. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger,
    Thanks a full Maserati range set of horror bumpers in Chicago!

That black car in Switzerland: never seen it before, there are several Khamsins that vanished long ago in Switzerland, either sitting dusty somewhere or destroyed but in my view this is an American market car which got the bumper conversion but somehow did not receive the front sidelights: they are clearly missing. No Euro spec cars ever lacked them.

The Polish project car is very late for a smooth nose but I checked and even 220 in France has a smooth nose: of course whatever was on the shelf on the day of assembly got fitted.

9. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Froggie,

Well not saying it is this one, just a possibility: here is 1004 with such wheels, it is -as far as I know- or was owned by Mr P in the Ruhr region of Germany -he or his brother also owned the white Khamsin with such wheels in the brochure you show, they had four K's at one point!- and it was shown for sale about a year ago with Euro bumpers but still with its US sidelights so theoretically it could be this car: it would make sense that in a repaint they would get rid of the US sidelights. Mirrors are of course different.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

the Polish car you should know, it was for sale by Peter Kumar, strangely it has a German Chassis plate as well (?)

the Swiss car could be 1174, in that case Limacher may know

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well some Euro cars have spent time in the US but very few.

1174 black red (photos when owned by Ivan Ruiz) but different mirrors too... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7963 Nembo1777, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    My friend who has had the one off Khamsin spyder chassis AM120US 1030 since 2007 (Christie's Paris Retromobile auction) is getting married and his wife has requested he reduce his collection so he asked me to take care of finding it a new home. I will probably put it in the Monaco Bonhams auction during the historic GP in May.

I drove it for an article in 2007 for Classic & Sportscar and featured its story over several pages of my 2013 book. Made into a Spyder in 1976 in Port Huron, Michigan USA, for owner Russel Deem who had bought two Khamsins new (the other was fly yellow AM120US1046 the car that the late Doug Magnon later bought and invited Jay Leno to drive for the famous video). The Spyder was then sold in the mid 80's to Ed Waterman of Motorcar Gallery in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and the first day it was there it was sold to Europe : Holland for a few years, then France in the early 1990's where it has been ever since. There, in the 1990's, it received a brand new purpose made hard top.

At KHAMSIN QUARANTA Marcello Gandini the Khamsin designer for Bertone saw it for the first time, I asked him what he would change and after thinking about it he answered "Va bene cosi" it is acceptable as it is. He can be seen in the center of the photo with sweater over his shoulders. The last photo is the brochure of the company who turned it into a Spyder in period.

I love this photo taken from a bridge by photographer Daniel Denis. It needs the Euro bumper conversion completed properly and some cosmetic attention but that is easy to deal with. I greatly enjoyed driving it!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger, I looked at my files of cars down under and it could be the car below:

AM120.405

WBaumer:

1987 with Damian Black -Traralgon/AUSTRALIA

Graeme White August 2010 data:

AM 120 405 Carrozzeria 550201 Autovettura 25366 Blue/Manual used to be owned by a Mr Neil Swingler Now with Damian Black -Traralgon/AUSTRALIA

End of quote. Traralgon is near melbourne nowhere near Sydney but as this information is old the car could have been sold on. No photos.

About 15 Khamsins were sold in Oz, all RHD and without tinted glass (banned there). The only dark blue one I have, 363 is a different blue with oddly placed outer mirror BUT it differs in many details, see photos taken when it was for sale by a dealer in Melbourne in 2012, it sold that year but not sure to whom. It would have had to be repainted though. Interesting that the car in your photo is missing its fuel flap, paint shops are good at breaking them so maybe...

According to Graeme the dealer was your typical old school slick used car salesman who did not have a clue about the car and I found his 2012
    sales text which is amusing:)

STOP THE PRESS!!!!MASERATI KHAMSIN!!!! They say Khamsin means like the "wind" WOW!!! Make mine" Rare" This without a doubt will make your superannuation fund double in years to come!!!!! 1 owner Since 1977 , original service books, workshop manual and even two sets of keys!!!! The previous owner is even happy to talk to only genuine buyer if they feel the need!!! Sensational 4.9 ltr V8 ,automatic transmission , looks drives and performs beautifully !!! I am told this is only 1 of 3 or 4 in Australia , Hey!! but it is important for you to do your own due- diligence.... Superb rare collectible , imagine you on a classic car rally with all the other collectors with your chest out and your stomach in with the best line of them all....."I reckon I am the only person in Australia with this sensational piece of history!!!"

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

Interesting info!

Had nothing on 405 as yet, that could be the one.
    The only other one with slats in the front and wipers to one side that I know is 361, or at least that is what I think it is (pic below).

The pictures you attached are all of 363 if I am not mistaken.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7967 Nembo1777, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Hi Roger,

Yes all pix in that post are 363.

Never seen the one you show, intriguing, thanks for posting but wiper configuration does not match so it can't be that one, see below. Here are photos of 361 I got from Graeme (who owned 403 for years and restored it) who has been very helpful and sometimes still posts here. 361 was light green when new, here is what I have on it:

1978-1996 with Alfredo Emanuele -Sydney/AUSTRALIA

Now (August 2010, info by Graeme White) with Bob Kimpton, was light green when new then painted dark metallic brown Mercedes color. It has just been retrimmed.

End of quote it is the car on the left here, the one at center is 403 and at right 315.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hi Marc

so I got as confused as you were in your post 3397, mixed up 361 with 355
    and I am left with pics of a green and a blue RHD car with wipers on passenger side, for both of which only one chassis no is possibly correct,
    unless more are out there -> 405?

Thanks anyway
    have a nice weekend
    Roger

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    That is all part of the trials and tribulations of trying to identify car for a Registry as you well know:)

You too.

20. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Hi Guys I'm still around following the Khamsin News and nice to the pictures again of the 3 Aussie 315 is still owned by the same person and he still drives it at 92!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Graeme! Good to hear from you. 92 that is a record and an admirable one, impressive!

Do you recognize the green car in the post 7966 by Roger?

22. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Tx for your reply Graeme, no, no I mean the green car in the park post 7966 by Roger: do you recognize that one? Anything you know about it?

24. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    This one ? I cannot make out the small print indicating the state on the number plate which may help, however I will ask around and see if any other Maserati people know it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777 likes this.
  25. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Graeme

and if the picture in post 7964 could be of the same car, now blue, this picture is much more recent, appaently from Sydney region

Roger

Nembo1777 likes this.