One more - What do you think of this 360? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

One more - What do you think of this 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by sgtpeper, Mar 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    No records. No good. Realize your are buying a car that needs to have been kept in top shape. These cars have needs and they cannot be overlooked if you intend on keeping the car for awhile. Belts are a start... fluids? Cooling system flush? Brake fluid flush and bleeding? Trans oil? and of course how far gone is the clutch? I've had cars in which the previous owner had no clue how to drive a stick and the clutch was toasted. Me, I could make a clutch last in my 911s for 70K miles and more.

CA car is good. Not a "rust belt" car. Should be really clean underneath and all electrical connections will probably be in great shape which is a real plus for these cars. I looked at a car in PA that was a mess. Rust on every nut and bolt under the car. I was lucky to find my car in CA with the previous owners in Nevada and Arizona. Big plus for me.

Of course you will need to replace 9 year old tires. Unsafe and your traction will me almost nil. Rubber gets old and it gets hard.

Buying a "used" car is a series of trade offs. You usually have to choose what you are comfortable accepting. A PPI can be a security blanket, but to be sure it cannot uncover events yet to happen that are not perceptible at the time of the inspection.

All the best in your search. Enjoy the hunt.

2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Why? Everyone has a red Ferrari.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I apologize if you took it as an insult.. but.. dude you got ripped off. It's like my posting a $2000 oil change. I checked Ricambi at for original headers it's like $3-4k each at most for factory new headers for the part and even at $150 and hour it's not 10 hours to replace them. FWIW if the heat exchanger goes, it's $830 to $1000 for the parts (if you don't reuse the end caps). And labor shouldn't be more than 8 hours to replace it and flush.

4. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    From their website for the one they have in stock is $5753 and the other side is Not Available. They may have been out of stock on both when I needed mine because I seem to recall my mechanic had to do a search to even find them. And yes, you can use aftermarket, but I chose to stick with OEM to keep my car stock.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/184393-collettore-di-scarico-destro-c.html

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Apollo 11, RedNeck and EastMemphis like this.
  6. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    But aren't for example Fabspeed headers better than OEM? And they can be bought with $3500 a pair! So why would you pay 6k each beats me.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The need to be "original" as I read.

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  8. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Correct... I wanted to keep it stock.

As for if my mechanic "cheated me" and put used ones on? No.. I trust my mechanic, but here is a pic in hopes to put this to bed.

I think we are getting way off topic here. The feedback to the OP is have this checked out. Whether the potential repair cost is $4K, $14K, $17K or somewhere in between, you want know going into purchase if there is an issue.

So let's move on.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #35 EastMemphis, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    I think the difference between OEM and aftermarket headers is the precats for 2000+ 360's. The problem as I see it with the OEM headers on the 360 (1999 doesn't have precats) is that the precats can break up and be ingested into the engine causing all sorts of nasty and expensive problems.

The failure can be initiated by a rough running engine where unburned gas gets into the cat and literally explodes. The precats can fail without reason as well. They're fragile and most are nearly 20 years old. Failure of precats may be indicated by a rattle coming from the headers.

The OEM headers have precats installed. The aftermarket headers don't. Something has to be done to the sensors to fool the system into thinking they are there or OBD codes pop up with the aftermarket headers.

If you live in California, I think there is some bloody foolish rule about having OEM parts in the exhaust system so if that's true, and you live or intend your car to ever be registered in that state, OEM is the only way to go.

I haven't personally experienced the joys of header replacement but someday I probably will.

10. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I'm a 6 year 360 Spider owner; Manifolds were a 430 issue not 360. Convertible top not an issue if you use it; don't store it down for long periods and keep the fluid level up.

What pops out at me is only 1500 miles in the last 6 years.

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    dont think thats accurate - headers are an issue from 355 to 360 to 430. finally fixed on 458

12. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I would never buy any oem exhaust components for one of my Ferraris...

aftermarket is solid and less expensive. 355 headers had welding and material thickness issues which would crack. So they have to be replaced. I have not heard of the same problem on 360 so maybe they made some improvements. The 355 does not have precuts so that can be another issue altogether.

Robb

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    To each their own I suppose but I guess I don’t understand the point of spending 10 grand so a car may be worth an extra 2 grand at selling time by being “original”. For what these cars are...high production, non-collectible drivers...paying the ridiculous Ferrari tax for inferior quality parts just makes no sense to me.

Apollo 11, vrsurgeon and EastMemphis like this.
  14. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The issues on the 360 has to do with the precats disintegrating over time. As they start to disintegrate, they move around inside the manifold. The more they move around, the more they disintegrate. Some cars may never have the issue, other cars it may be a matter of time. Either way, I should be good for another at least another 15yrs.

15. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's his money, he explained why he spent it, and he asked to move on. That seems like enough to me.

16. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #42 jjsaustin, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    That's OK you don't have to understand, it is not your money I'm spending. So please don't place your budget restrictions or your sense of "value" to judge how I choose to maintain my car. Everybody maintains their car to different standards. Maybe you can tell me the "RedNeck" recommendation on timing belt intervals. God knows a lot of people are wasting money replacing belts that look perfectly good, right?

It just wasn't worth my time dealing with trying to put on aftermarket parts, fake out the system, worry about the potential CEL popping up, and potential emissions issues down the road.

I doesn't make sense to me how you can't understand I want to keep my car stock?? A lot of OCD people own these cars.

So now that I have established we both think the other person doesn't make sense... I think we are even. :)

Let's move on or you can start another thread on manifolds...

Cheers.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Ooooh yes sir. Whatever you say, captain. :rolleyes:.

If either of you don't want a discussion, then I'm not sure why you are on a discussion forum. People are allowed to state opinions on anything you may post.
    I don't know, "jjaustin" what timing belt intervals have to do with anything dealing with the conversation at hand, and my personal Ferrari is meticulously maintained, so I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to insinuate with that comment. But while we are on the subject, the timing belts are not made by Ferrari and the OEM versions of the exact same belts are a quarter of the price...but don't buy them, the writing is blue instead of yellow. Same with pretty much the entire ignition, brake, and electrical system.... but pay 5x the amount for the same part for the horsey box, it's your car's value we're talking about. Don't ask for help either, very few of us are factory-trained mechanics so if you take anyone's advice on this forum, your car's value goes down. A little legwork can save thousands, even if you choose to use nothing but stock replacements, and you have seen that....but on the other hand, I guess the market needs this so people don't know that these cars are put together with nuts and bolts.

OK, now I'll move on.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Dude, first off.. YOU didn't replace the parts on your car. Your mechanic did. All you did was write the check. And, I might add.. got played and ripped off.
    Second, you can maintain it to exacting standards with OEM equipment and parts as it left the factory.. without getting ripped off by a mechanic.
    Redneck actually repairs his cars and maintains them to high standards. That is, without getting ripped off and then posting those abnormally high expenses as like its "normal". It's not.

Lastly.. when you wrote that check.. did you ask yourself "WHY?" the precut broke down? Hint. It's not road vibration. I didn't see where your mechanic replaced all the coils and plugs to prevent unburned gas from adding to breakdown of the precut. So you have new headers.. but the cause of the breakdown (or at least contributing to it) are still in the car breaking down the precut of the new headers from day one. But.. on the outside they look new.

As for timing belts.. I'm not even going to ask how much you pay for that...

(Sorry gents... I couldn't help it..)

ItalGerBrit and EastMemphis like this.
  19. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Dude, First off I don't think I ever implied I physically installed the parts myself.... WRONG

Secondly, you thought the manifolds were 3-4K at Ricambi... WRONG I posted a link from their website $5750.

Then you tried to imply my mechanic was dishonest and maybe installed used parts... WRONG again when I showed a pic.

I'm not sure why you mentioned how Redneck maintains his car. Do you think I car?... WRONG again

I think you get the drift...

Let me get this straight... You have never seen my car, You have never worked on my car, You have no idea of the maintenance history, You never examined the parts that came off the car, and you have no idea of the options I discussed with my mechanic including putting in aftermarket manifolds? Honestly, I don't think it is POSSIBLE for you to be any more ignorant of the situation.

Now as for your comment on why the precat failed and recommendation of changing out coils and plugs, I just want to ask in case I missed it, are you a real Ferrari mechanic or just play one on the internet? You seem to think you know more than my mechanic about the whole situation and you want to give him recommendations - and you don't even know who he is!!! THAT MY FRIEND IS TRULY AMAZING....DUDE YOU ARE SO WRONG HERE....DUDE YOU COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG. Please stop I am laughing so hard right now....

I also have to laugh that you can't even spell precat, let alone begin to understand the historical nature of the failures. School is over....

As for Redneck wanting to have a discussion, my point in case people have trouble reading was to start a MANIFOLD thread! This discussion doesn't belong in this thread.

So let' move on for a third time and have the Mods close this thread

20. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    If I remember correctly you were looking for a convertible so this is perfect. The car looks great. Nice miles on it too which is a plus. Price looks good. Take it!!!!!!!!!!

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Typos typos.. not misspellings.. "car"

Moving on.. OP looks like a nice example. Sport seats are really nice. Do they know what size?

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Oh... I think you endorsed him in a prior thread. And he posts here often as an expert doesn't he? Well well..

Don't be mistaken. If it is who I think it is.. my opinion of him has gone down in recent times. He can post an opinion about a repair or rather how badly it was done.. and then not post an opinion on how to properly fix it.. That receipt you posted, if it is from his shop... takes my opinion down a few notches further. FWIW.. I wish you good luck with the sale.

23. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    In all fairness, that most likely describes a good part of the folks on the forum, one of the reasons being that we don’t want to get stuck paying a $16k bill when we could have spent far less for the exact same outcome. You can and may have one of the best Ferrari mechanics on earth, but make no mistake, he is in business to make money off of you....our points, that were taken waaaaay too personally, is that a little legwork and research can go a long way and potentially save thousands. So no, neither of us are Ferrari mechanics, Curt is a doctor and I am in Robotics...but we've both had a lot of experience working on these cars.

It's Friday, have a beer tonight brother.

24. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sorry to derail this thread topic, but would those happen to be available at Ricambi??? ;)

Kevin