Hello Harley | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hello Harley

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by boxerman, Oct 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    How many Harleys have you put a lot of miles on? I ride with a few people who ride and maintain them for police departments who would be a little surprised to hear this. Its OK not to like them but lets be real.

stretchgeneral likes this.
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's crazy talk. Or did you make that up?

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Back in the '60s I rode Bonnevilles and hated Sportsters. (Electra Glides were for old men.) But I always told myself if Harley would build a Sportster with a decent rake and trail, I'd buy one. I lied. I looked at the XR 1200 went it came out. Really looked good, but the timing wasn't right. It is still the only Harley I would buy today.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And Flathead guys hated Stovebolts. Some things never change.

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don't like the rake and trail on Sportsters. The VRod is even worse. Why can't Harley build a regular motorcycle?

greg328 likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I had a Sportster for quite a while. Several things I didn't really like but rake and trail never got on that radar screen. What do you love motorcycle wise? I am sure I can find things not suited to my liking. Everyone is different, its why there are so many choices.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well... haven't had one in a while, but I cut my teeth on Triumphs and dirt bikes. I still think 500 pounds is too heavy for a motorcycle.

NYC Fred likes this.
  8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #33 Rifledriver, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    I agree with that as far as sport bikes go. Nothing in their line up is what I consider a sport bike despite what the advertising guys say. For a touring bike it a very different matter. Tell the Japanese. Even when they set out to make a light weight street bike within a year or so porky pig is back up over 500.

Harley has what you need. XR750 with a kick starter and lights. A friend had one. What a hoot. Only carried enough gas for a 20 lap main though. Set the rake and trail any way you want.

To be fair Harley isn't aiming at your market segment. Plenty others are. It like me criticising Ferrari for their lack of a pick up truck, just not what the company is about. I just don't think too many Harley owners are at the bar complaining their Harley is 100 lbs over weight. Would Harley sell more bikes if they made real 350-400 lbs sport bikes? Sure, some. Would Ferrari sell more units if they made a pick up truck? Sure, some. In both cases that is just not what the brand has been about.

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're gonna laugh, but one bike I have been looking at is the new 650 twin from Royal Enflied.

Frankly, I think Harley has made a big mistake in not aiming at the younger market. Hell, I thought that 20 years ago. Now, they're stuck with aging Boomers, not a good place to be.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #35 Rifledriver, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Well historically they are not off by a lot. There was a big run up in sales to a peak in 2006 that I think was very unrealistic to expect that to be considered a norm. Its been a roller coaster since 09 like most other recreational stuff. They have not had a significant appeal to younger buyers since the 50's. Way too early for me to get out my funeral suit yet. After the S&L thing and easy loans went away a lot of people in the boat and RV business went the way of the dinosaur and Harley did OK. I think it is just headed for a more realistic spot in the market. Do I wish they'd make products that would threaten the Japanese and Euro brands? You bet. I want the same for every American company and industry but I also want Ferrari to take quality as seriously as Lexus too.

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I dunno. Last time I went into a Harley dealership (which was a while ago), I actually had a salesman who wanted to talk to me. Although, I have to say the floor space was mostly stuff, not motorcycles.

I also find the rubbies fascination with bikers disturbing. I know a thing or two about the Banditos. They are not people I'd want to hang with. I used to tell my riding buddies that if someone wearing colors shows up, I'm gone.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Royal Enfield is pretty cool but I am scared to death of anything made in India.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Says someone who works on **** made in Italy! :eek:

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I had a client who was at the time the owner of the biggest Harley store in the world. He was at the dealer talking and he said "Your boss is making a big mistake. I have 20,000 ft of retail space and 2000 of it is motorcycles. 300 people walk through my door every day, maybe 20 of them can afford to buy a motorcycle. The other 280 have $20-$50-$100 in their pocket and I want it".

Yea, lots of wannabe bad boys. I grew up in Oakland during the heyday of HA and Sonny Barger. I knew a few. Not who I pick to drink with.

Although I have inadvertently a few times.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Now I live up the road from Jesse James. He lives in Dripping Springs. Run into him at the local watering hole from time to time. We have some mutual friends.

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    In full disclosure, in the late '90s, I came this close to buying a local HD dealership. I passed because the guy wanted $600k. Not the smartest thing I ever did, but I never have claimed to be smart.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have complete confidence in their ability to hire another Wunderkind MBA suit with charts and graphs and no motorcycle experience.

And he, she or it will not be able to find Milwaukee on a map.

boxerman and Texas Forever like this.
  18. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    it would be interesting to know how many of the Harley c suite, board members and major investors have a motorcycle endorsement.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It would be interesting to see if they even know what a motorcycle endorsement is.

Rifledriver likes this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think they could sell some of those.

Another place I think they seriously missed the boat. All that money spent on development of the VRod engine and they only offered it in that toilet of a motorcycle. I have been offered rides on a few and after sitting on one for a few seconds I turned it down. What a total POS. Build some high end touring models around it and maybe a more sport version or sport tourer like a Multistrada. Looks like a pretty good powerplant and its in the worst chassis they make.

bernieb and Texas Forever like this.
  22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thought that from day one. I've always wondered why nobody offered an after-market frame.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Harley could have made somehing like this so easily, they literaly already have most of the pieces. Total management failure.

Texas Forever and Rifledriver like this.