488 Pista / 6,000 units being produced?...? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Pista / 6,000 units being produced?...?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GoHardGT3RS, Mar 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #51 Shadowfax, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    This is true. Nothing exclusive about these new Ferrari's that sound and drive like a luxury cars, some which have rather unresolved heavy looking designs.

I would agree with Ray Johns that the F type is very close in looks and no doubt sounds better than Roma. Although in looks I think Roma is better than a Jag.

In all fairness I think the Roma appears to be more of a model pitched toward the elderly wealthy woman or soccer type mum ......but I could be wrong..... so in that sense its a case of horses for courses. But with clear cut models like BB and LB I don't think there is any excuse to have cars which sound so lame and, look so heavy. Hopefully LB has a more leaner look to it. We shall wait and see. And the V6 could well sound better than the current V8.....so my jury is out till I hear and see it.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #52 Shadowfax, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Then you sold it for the wrong reason. A Gt car is a drivers car..... exclusivity is really not part of that particular ownership experience - well not for the greater majority of buyers who tend to use them on circuit and the likes I've found.

Exclusivity generally belongs more to a Ferrari and most of the general public wouldn't see a limited version as being any more exclusive than a non special version. I have found that with the Pista even. Got more looks and admiration in my grey 488 to be perfectly honest.

Numbers also don't seem to matter as these cars get driven so rarely there is never enough of them out in the traffic for anyone to get tired of looking at them.

Porsche's are generally seen a lot more due to lower entry cost and superior practicality so due to the higher volumes in the traffic most just see them as a certain measure of success but the exclusivity factor went long ago and most buyers acknowledge that.

Some Ferrari owners appear to be struggling with the fact the exclusivity is waning now due to market sentiment and a general change in values (with regard to global emissions etc). In terms of exclusivity the brand is now very much on a slippery slope now looking at some of the newer models coming out.

Ash Patel and IloveGT like this.
  3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Totally agree with you overall. I was done with Porsche anyway. But Ferrari future definitely remains to be seen given how their business model is changing so rapidly.

Selling those highly sought after cars to those loser youtubers is definitely a huge red flag to me couple years ago. Do we see PP or Hermes do this? They don't have to. Why Ferrari has the need to sell the cars to those losers without prior Ferrari purchase is telling me that the pressure from stock holder/investor completely outweigh the vision of Enzo.

Maybe it's a good thing In and Out burger does not go public!! (I will buy their stocks if they do!)

4. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Hey Ray,

I'm curious, they used the word 'sold', could they have made more cars on purpose but held back from selling them until late 2020 so technically their statement would be correct?

Where does it say cars manufactured?

5. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    That's a pretty accurate number for all Pista models. Given the identical production time as a 458 Speciale, except Ferrari now has 50% higher production during the Pista period. I mentioned that number at the start and got flamed for it, then dealers started saying the Pista is "limited production based on time"... just like a C7. Ask anyone that's been on the assembly line during the Pista production period. An overwhelming number of the cars were Pistas. Some Porto production was moved to the V12 assembly line, which was a clear indicator the 812 values were going to tank given the little demand.

I don't care, Pista is an excellent car and more production means more people get to enjoy the thrill and specialty of it. It however puts an end to my "the best Ferrari is the next one", as nothing past the Pista will make me jump ship based from what I've seen.

LARRYH likes this.
  6. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    #56 boobernackle, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Because those Youtube folks have no idea when they're getting into the dealer game. They are brand new to the brand and will instantly do what the dealer tells them to.

Look at them buying Portofinos or Lussos off the dealer lot to get a Pista.

They don't mention it in the video, cause they likely have no idea how they got into the dealer game, or don't want to admit it. Either way, more chances for content/ads.

7. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Remember, Pistas were first produced in 2018 and will continue for 2020, which combined would equal to about 2 years of total production.

Oh dear on that army green Pista, I don't think they'll even get $100K below MSRP on that spec, hence the eBay listing.

LARRYH and Shadowfax like this.
  8. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    That's MAINLY in the USA, and I have noticed that you guys (THE AMERICANS) think it's a universal rule, actually it's NOT, and I don't know why the American dealers like to play that game anyway, the game of (you should first buy a used 1 to get a new 1), it's a very silly game!

GT2goneF and Shadowfax like this.
  9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    LOL, now *that* would be the perfect name for these cars!

And the even faster "special edition" could be called the Ego-Boost :p

10. Abraham A

Abraham A Rookie

Feb 15, 2020
    USA
    Full Name:
    Abraham Achar
    I think they will lose clients , they asked me to buy a Lusso So I can Get a pista .

I think they are going the ring way.
    At least let me choose the car I don’t want.

LARRYH and Astrid.Didier like this.
  11. RyanFoH

RyanFoH Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    For what it is worth, the Ferrari Financial Services 60 Month Residual for a new 488 Pista is 67%.

FFS is not supporting a 67% residual to a Ferrari with a 6000 unit production plan.

12. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well, Ray, with all respect, I love the SF90! :)

13. martisracing

martisracing Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Northamptonshire, UK
    The one fact which is being forgotten is that GPF is required for 2020 cars. The F8 has it the Pista does not. As far as I know Ferrari has no intention of adding it to the Pista. All the extra components for GPF may not even package on a Pista and Ferrari would not want to go to the considerable costs of recalibration, durabilty testing and homologation of a GPF Pista even it it did. This means the number of Pistas that can be produced in 2020 is very limited as the regulations will not allow them to be produced.
    I think the total Pista volume is more likely 2000 than 6000. There are 12 UK dealers. Roughly 10% of production goes to the UK. That means each UK dealer for 6000 would need to have sold 50 cars. 2000 would mean around 16 cars which is far nearer to what I have been told by UK dealers.

14. GoHardGT3RS

GoHardGT3RS Karting

Jan 1, 2015
    Germany
    Interesting!

Assuming that

1) the 24% for Pistas applies globally
    2) the Pista will be produced over 2 years (my info is that Pista production ends in June 2020)
    3) Ferrari will produce on average 10,000 cars in total over these 2 years

this would mean that the number of produced Pistas would be 4,800... so the number of 6,000 stated in the article is maybe not totally wrong!

15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    this topic has been best to death but it wasn’t 2 full years of production. The first Pista was delivered in fall of 2018. Then you had a full year of 2019 production and then left overs on 2020.

either way whether there are 600 or 6000. Don’t care. I have mine and not planning on selling anytime soon.

LARRYH likes this.
  16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    .....................which is why my very beautiful 412 - total production 1985-89 was 576 units - is very likely to see a dramatic change in the market's view of its value.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH likes this.
  17. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    quote !
    The one fact which is being forgotten is that GPF is required for 2020 cars. The F8 has it the Pista does not. As far as I know Ferrari has no intention of adding it to the Pista. All the extra components for GPF may not even package on a Pista and Ferrari would not want to go to the considerable costs of recalibration, durabilty testing and homologation of a GPF Pista even it it did. This means the number of Pistas that can be produced in 2020 is very limited as the regulations will not allow them to be produced.

That is not entirely true. The 488 Pista is not equipped with a GPF but the last day of registration for cars with a 6d temp is the 31 st of december 2020. So basically the Pista can be sold and registered in Europe up until the end of this year which means until the end of the porduction cycle of the 488. At least this is the regulation that i checked for Germany.

18. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Day is right.

The model has changed.

V8 turbos out the wazoo in multiple variants of essentially the same car. All at exorbitant prices.

Saw this unfolding a few years ago when Mr. Sweater spun off Ferrari from Fiat. Beginning of the end......

At this point see no reason to bust my ass to spec any new Ferrari when I can wait and select a barely driven used one for 50 cents on the dollar at my leisure.

Oh and it will have a normally aspirated V12, thank you ....

RayJohns and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I disagree I ordered and own a GT3 Touring and I personally could careless if every person that wants one gets one i only care that i got one...On the other hand i really want a pista and despite the fact that i have bought several new Ferrari's and own 3 or 4 for the last several years my dealer will(would) not give me a new allocation ...and now i have an F8 with a sticker well over 400 on order but it has not gone 10red yet despite his promise that it would be here by june 1 .......I think i will cancel and buy a used pista...

Nelsonc275, C50 and Shadowfax like this.
  20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Lol. I am agreement to get a pista than a F8. Good call.

LARRYH and Shadowfax like this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I wouldnt wait a second. Between these 2 the F8 isnt even in the running. I wouldnt miss the opportunity to cancel and Pistas are very much obtainable new even.

LARRYH likes this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Moved on from my Pista already. Wasn’t my kind of car.

RayJohns likes this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Why am I not surprised :rolleyes:.

Although to be fair had I not resolved the sound issue I probably would have booted mine as well.

I'm only pinging you for the lack of effort to at least give the car a chance by fixing it. It's actually a pretty good car now the main problem is solved. I think you've mugged yourself personally.

24. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    $450K for a reskinned 488? As the price discrepancy narrows, why not go used Pista. Good luck with your search.

LARRYH likes this.
  25. Steph355au

Steph355au Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Wonder what, if any, effect the current coronavirus problem in Northern Italy has on ultimate production numbers for 2020.

Peoples health is far more important than any car.