930 Turbo Carrera | Page 335 | FerrariChat

930 Turbo Carrera

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pquadrat

pquadrat Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    All 930 had the aluminium cross member, the steel version is in the picture because the pic is the same for all 911 from 74 to 77. And the 911 from 74 and the MFI Carreras from 75 had the steel version. With the steel version, You can not mount the fron fuel pump. All 911/930 with a fuel pump near the fuel tank have the aluminium one.

2. qereti

qereti Rookie

Jan 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    thanks so much. that makes sense

3. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    930, mrar and AtSomePoint like this.
  4. simon930Berlin

simon930Berlin Karting

Apr 25, 2013
  5. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    Yes, #20 GTX but a 930 Turbo vs. Carrera RSR. Ryan's book has a chapter on this car with great photos. There's also quite a few photos posted on this thread (search GTX).

6. DavidR

DavidR Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    Hi, I already wrote inthe past on this topic. With a friend through our mechanic, we are in the process of starting the restauration of a Turbo 75. The body is in rather good shape. The car was originally gazelle met. and at a certain point it was resprayed in black. Now I am wondering about the trunk finish. Do you think it was also partly resprayed or not?
    And same question for the the underside.
    Thanks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012

I previously posted the link to the 1975 IAA but didn't notice that S-CH 8158 made a cameo appearance at 23:45 and 24:49. Can someone translate the German to explain what's up with the garter and pin placed in the engine?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. simon930Berlin

simon930Berlin Karting

Apr 25, 2013
    Its blocked in Germany, wish i could see it!

9. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    Click watch on YouTube and is should play.

vargas likes this.
  10. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
  11. simon930Berlin

simon930Berlin Karting

Apr 25, 2013
    Thank you, that did work!

Its low quality, sexist journalism. They are talking about how many female drivers there are, and that she (the lady with the hat) was able to fix an ignition cable isolation damage (Zuendisolierschaden) with that garter, and a fuel line leak with the metal stick taken form her hat. wtf

12. vargas

vargas Karting

Feb 17, 2012
    Thanks,nice clip

13. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    AtSomePoint likes this.
  14. pquadrat

pquadrat Karting

Jan 6, 2015
    On the metallic cars, the engine bay was completely painted, but trunk, interior, underbody etc. just got some overspray. Some cars more, some less. Wheel housings were painted matte black , but only where the white filler was visible otherwise. You should be able to find the gazelle metallic in the overspray areas.

15. rdwinelover

rdwinelover Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
  16. DavidR

DavidR Rookie

Aug 15, 2014
    Thank you for the reply.
    David

17. vargas

vargas Karting

Feb 17, 2012
  18. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Quick question on originality: has anyone noticed a difference in the finish of the Turbo Carrera rear script? Just now in the right light the black paint on the two words appears different: 'turbo' is slightly glossy, 'Carrera' appears slightly flat... Has anyone else noticed that?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    Yes, I've noticed the difference on both of the US market Turbo Carreras I've owned. Keep in mind the ROW models only had the "Turbo" badge.

Wow the auction market has gotten super soft on these. Did anyone see this car...any reason it sold so low? $84,000 with fees. Looks like a sharp example.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25718/lot/55/?category=list

20. jb21

jb21 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    I have seen this car at a concours last summer in the UK. Looks fantastic. It really does.

As for the article, it would have been nice if they had explained where the extra power in this car was coming from today...originally, as Ryan details in his book, this car had a boost upgrade accessible only via the engine. Given the very high BHP claims in the article I'd love to know how it is engineered for achieving that, day to day, now.

Also, would have been great to have heard something about how the car handles. Can't tell you how fed up I get with the unsupported allusions in magazine articles, including this one, to "deadly lift off oversteer" and the like, in the early Turbos. You have to drive very hard indeed to make that happen in my car. I recently took my car to a track and put a very good motoring journalist/driver behind the wheel, a much better driver than me, to see what you have to do to really get it to misbehave. You have to do a lot. The early 3.0 is entirely different to a 3.3...

375+ likes this.
  21. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Thanks. Probably different venders. Amazing price on #477 at Bonhams, its really a buyers' market. My car is #470 so they were meandering through the line at the same time.

Amen to that. The 'Widowmaker' moniker gets repeated over and over. I did a Quora post here with an interesting photo...
    https://www.quora.com/Just-how-dangerous-was-an-old-911-Turbo/answer/Brandon-Hull-10