messed up with f1 pump motor & stuff | Page 2 | FerrariChat

messed up with f1 pump motor & stuff

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Sep 21, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The one good piece of news is that the clutch throw-out bearing is designed to work with either type of fluid, so hopefully no damage done there. Like Eddie said, though, the seals are different, so those may need changing. The manual shifter 360s use brake fluid to operate the hydraulic clutch mechanism. Mixing the fluids is probably not the best idea, though.

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so are you saying the transmission fluid could be contaminated too?

Do I need to flush that too?

I can't see why transmission fluid is affected by the f1 fliud....

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    No, separate compartments. He was just saying that the clutch "slave cylinder" where you press the clutch and it separates the clutch plate.. that part in both manual cars and F1 cars has the same seal in both applicaitons. Thus it will be fine. :) In manual cars liek mine I use brake fluid to separate the clutch plates whereas the F1 system uses the ATF fluid.. With this seal both fluids are OK. I think this is what he's trying to say.

If the whole F1 system is gone you can always get a Maserati part to replace it for less cost. Same system just less expensive. Buy it used in the future if needed. :)

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, 75W-90 transmission oil/fluid is completely separate from the F1 fluid, which operates both the gearshift actuators and the clutch throw-out bearing. The T/O bearing seals are different for the two different T/O bearings, depending on whether it uses synthetic ATF (F1) or brake fluid (three pedal), like Eddie said.

Hopefully with your limited use of the system, flushes and refills will solve your problem and the dealer should have an SD2 or SD3 that can do a full bleed on the system. It may take a bunch of cycles to clean out the brake fluid, or the system may have to be disassembled like Eddie said. Hope for the former.

There are two places that are rebuilding and resealing F1 actuators now, one in Turkey, and a Ferrari Dealer in the Pacific NW.

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

when you are saying the whole f1 system, you basically mean the actuator ? or do you mean the whole thing including all cables and whistles?

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

great to know, which maserati model has the same f1 system as the 360 modena?

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I want to say it was the GT.. or the coupes.. I think even some Alfa Romeo models..

As I understand it the system is a Marelli SeleSpeed system that was on the other models. I'm sure others can chime in here to refute me if this is not true... Just want to offer some hope that regardless of the outcome, you'll be cruising around in the future.

8. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
  9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I am more worried bout the actuator

does the actuator cross referenced in another make another model?

10. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    No. It's unique to that application.

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Even the internal seals? It looks like the main body is unique on the 360 versus the alfa and maserati units with the pressure reservior on top.. but looks from my untrained eye like the actuators and valves are very similar.. ?

12. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I suspect it is different internally. From the few I've opened up across the fcar/Lambo range the cylinder sizes and lengths are different. You also require a jig to set it back up afterwards.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Interesting. Thank you Eddie. I stand corrected!

14. PAUROSO

PAUROSO Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roland H Shaak
    F1pumps :mad: let me make you do the happy dance, LOSE the relay they are ancient tech and highly noisy, troublesome and stupid they lack any smarts, cant help you bleed, cant tell you when the pump/motor is starting to draw more current, etc etc read for your self I own the device i speak of and it's golden and really does preserve a decent pump. The write ups at scud ing swiss are very well done both on the F1 pump controller but also some lighting enhancements including an turn signal ECU to modernize the auxillirary lights

go to scud ing swiss. https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/ecu-solutions/101-smart-emt-relay-ecu.html Read and buy one of these For the solution to all your pump issues if the F1 hydralic factory is sound

you will also find a great ECU for the turn signals also both are simple "relay " exchanges but instead the are brillliant thinking units to manage and or improve , update our cars

give them a try - in a hurry - good luck - Rollo

15. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The F1 pump draws about 15 amps, which translate to a lot of heat generation when running. This little unit has to sink approximately 185 watts while running continuously. Given the compact size of the unit and lack of heat-sinking of solid state components inside, I seriously doubt the longevity of the unit. Solid state, active components tend to fail in an closed state. Which mean that if it does fail, the F1 pump will run continuously until it burns itself out. I hope I'm wrong.

Disclaimer: I don't own one and most likely never will, due to the mentioned concern. More so, in a racing or tracking environment.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And to give you an idea as to the size of the heat sink that'll do the job, it's this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Usually the pump itself does not fail, but the motor. Easy to just replace that first without opening the system