720s faster than Pista in Hockenheim GP (sport auto) | Page 7 | FerrariChat

720s faster than Pista in Hockenheim GP (sport auto)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Feb 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yep you heard it right Socal! I've been trying to join the club for a few years now. This one looks like what I'm after and I do I like those flames!! :D Let's just see uh. But you may have a new member this time. The only obstacle is (possibly) allocation but in today's market I'm sure there will be someone who can't pay up when their number is called. So yeah I'm keen!

willcrook and SoCal to az like this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Interesting.

Must say I'm not exactly thrilled. So many debates as to which car is the faster. Now we know why the 720S runs so well with the Pista.
    789 is not a bit over, that's simply McLaren lying about their output.

Wonder what the 765 will make? 900 hp lol:D

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Nothing new there. Every $500K, normal model exotic depreciates a **** load. Flavor the week. Even the special ones can lose hundreds of thousands quickly.

SVJ sounds great and you can get them 100K off already, no?

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I haven't seen much evidence that it would be in the 500s without ridiculously over optioning it. Look at the different between 570 and 600, 650 and 675. No reason to think this would be any different. No doubt it will be expensive, but I don't see any reason to assume it would suddenly jump another $100K for no reason unless they really think people will pay it.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Well, you could have fooled me with trying to join the club but I think you will be pleased. I have an allocation. Just need to see the economics when they release the numbers next week to see if I’m pulling the trigger or not. Have my spec in my mind but really just need to seee the financial hit before I pull the trigger. Good luck on the hunt for an allocation. Hope you get it.

Shadowfax likes this.
  6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    What's not to like about the 765. It is the 720S on steroids. Should be the most thrilling and capable super car available. Price is another matter. When 720S are available at $235K, spending double or more for the 765 represents a dramatic example of the law of diminishing returns.

7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Production limited to 765. That's a pretty low number for this beast. Plus 765 Spiders? 675LT was 500 coupes and 500 Spiders I believe.

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Just spec'd mine online and plan to visit my dealer soon to wrap it up. Anyone want to buy Taycan?

Shadowfax, tekaefixe and SoCal to az like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What's not to like? Personally I'm far from a fan of the look. Looking at the McLaren range, does little fot me - it somehow fails to excite me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s a good looking car and will set the bar for power. But man I’m struggling with the decision to get one. How much more power do I need and would i rather buy a 3rs in addition to my 720 or get the 765. First world problems.

BJK likes this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    When the 720 first came out, it was straight outta left field. I think it took a while to grow on people because it was so different. And same or more so with the Senna. Now, I think they are the coolest cars out there. :)

gqa likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It excites me plenty.

13. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Yesterday I tested an F8 and 30m later a 720s.
    Ferrari is prettier, the Mac more exotic/rare/strange.
    Both sound well turboed but the Mac makes cooler turbo sounds.
    Mac is much more technological and faster, feels lighter too.
    Mac wins for me.
    Same thing with Pista and 765lt, Pista is just sexier, the Mac will eat it for breakfast in every single measure.
    No doubt I will buy a Mac, just waiting for the equivalent of the SF90.

14. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Tell me about it, I have some kind of fetich with my 458 spider, and compared to the F8 is just a worse car, much worse! Slower, heavier, less dynamic, not so comfortable, infotainment is night and day but the sound....
    I think I have some kind of problem.
    Thats why my next purchase will have to be just a numbers car. Like a Megawatt with 1600-1700kg.
    Just stupid fast because, why not?!
    For tracking days Karting! It’s just balls fun and the closest thing to F1.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I see the 720S and F8 differently. Sound in both not inspiring but the F8 slightly more satisfying especially from inside the cabin. Both are ferociously fast but due to greater car-driver connection and feedback, coupled with the F8’s more compelling and engaging driving dynamics, creates the visceral sensation of greater speed. The F8 is an aesthetic work of rolling art. Stunning from all angles. Love the steering wheel contrary to the 720s which has the cheapest looking wheel of any high end car.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That's your right however they wont have an issue selling every single one because many others feel otherwise.

Coincid likes this.
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Never liked the 650 but liked the 675, never liked the 720 but like the 765. I think this will be a great car. Congrats to those who will get one.

18. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’ve got an LT slot and I think there’s a couple of things left out of the value proposition equation. First, if you’ve already got a 720 you’re likely to get more shown on trade towards the 765lt than any other sell/trade scenario which translates to a hidden “discount” on the new car provided by McLaren to repeat customers. Secondly, the historical resale of the LT cars is wrong in the first few years so you’re value on the new car may very well be over list for some time. In my case the actual pull ahead delta is “worth it” to have the next insane street/track weapon and I think I’ll be better off in the LT value wise too. You should run the numbers with actual trade/net values to see where you’re at, but I suspect you’ll find the same result.

I also the LT will shore up the floor in the market for the 720, particularly with new to brand owners that can’t get into an LT (not on list, not enough bank, don’t want to pay the difference, etc). Knowing the 720 obliterates virtually anything in its class (and well above) I can’t imagine they haven’t already found their level, but the new expensive version should certainly help to stabilize them too. Either version is certainly a remarkable car and value.

Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #169 Shadowfax, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    That's fine. Wasn't trying to convince anyone during my various track samplings of their models other than myself really - just calling things for how I'd found them personally and I do have certain expectations. I've also had concerns with the quality which will probably remain until proven otherwise - time will tell there but what I have come across so far isn't all that confidence inspiring - so hope I get a good one. Anyway if I can get one of these I will definitely buy one as it appears to tick the boxes I look for in terms of being light weight, big power, raw feel, street presence, handling, good brakes and most importantly FLAMES!!!:D Plus I think it will sound better with that full titanium system! Frankly I was a little disappointed with Pista's system which was marketed as titanium but wasn't. Also thought the sound was disappointing stock during off or light throttle. Don't know what you think of yours but I was certainly expecting a lot better and, not having to fiddle around with things to fix it. Frankly I'm getting tired of the Ferrari BS. All I want is a car that delivers properly as stated without all the fluff.

I am also wondering if it has a GPF though and if so can the system be tweaked. Am awaiting more info which hopefully will have soon but either-way it won't put me off getting one.

PS I understand your position already having a 720 but if you can do it I wouldn't hesitate. The cost factor will be much the same for guys who own 488's paying the significant extra ticket for F8 except in 765 it's clearly going to be a more raw and rewarding driving experience. Just do it!!

Gh21631 and tekaefixe like this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Oh its not a financial thing- I mean it is but not in the sense of can I afford it. I can. but Im just questioning if I want to. Ive been posting for a year on how great the 720 is. its been one of my absolute favorite cars. No doubt 765 will be "better". But i don't know, chasing the latest and greatest is fine for the first week of ownership till you start chasing the next latest and greatest.

Im getting to a point where I want to enjoy and appreciate what I have, not lust after what I dont have. For the extra 200k that it would take to upgrade to a 765- i could get a 600LT, a 3RS, hell a fleet of Corvette C8s (I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit lol)

Regardless, knowing my dumb ass, when push comes to shove, Ill likely pull the trigger. But honestly if it turns out that the games have begun with the car and I have to give my left nut for an allocation that is already promised to me, I'll likely just say meh and enjoy what I have and wait for the next latest and greatest.

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    If you end up buying one, PLEASE review it for us!
    And yes the 720s is amazing!

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Limiting to 765 cars is smart in a sense - it will allow McLaren to sell at a high price without difficulty (because the "market" price is a balance between offer and demand, increasing the price reduces the demand but this is countered by reducing the offer). The 765 situation will be more comfortable than the Pista's, even though demand for McLaren is, generally speaking, lower than for Ferrari; the drawback is that McLaren will leave some $ on the table while Ferrari got up to the very last $ from the Pista.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It's perfectly normal to rationalize any spend especially when one already owns a very similar model as you do! And like yourself I'm done with the games. The market can change so rapidly now which is rarely to the favor of the chosen one. Just look what happened with Pista the unobtainable car now very obtainable.

It's anyone's game today and I can't see why it would be any different with this Mac. I think so long as you can pay for the order when it arrives that's all that the dealer need concern themselves with.

Other thing; I've found i can run my gt3rs as fast if not faster (as lead car) than a guy in a Pista up a mountain pass - or anything else for that matter. I've also experienced this on the other side of the coin with myself in the Pista when rolling with the right company. So yeah.... how fast do want to go and, how fast is fast enough?

24. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    #174 Pis7a2020, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Few cool pics at Dominion, Summit Point raceway, and Ferrari school in Vegas. Threw the GT3 in for good measure.

If you wanted to see more pics, all you had to do was ask

So I’m trying to rig both the Pista and 2RS with some racelogic telemetry, in order to quantify race track performance for both cars on the same day and same track. Hopefully I’ll get around to it.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

stavura, Ash Patel, Surfah and 5 others like this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks bro. Looks like some fun being had! Anyway don't worry about the hounds....lol.... you came in at the wrong time just after a fox hunt on another thread and the hounds were still on the sniff.

Enjoy!

Ash Patel and Pis7a2020 like this.