"OFFICIAL" Coupe/Spyder/GranSport Thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

"OFFICIAL" Coupe/Spyder/GranSport Thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 4200GT, Aug 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    One thing you should notice is the 4200's are rarer than the Ferrari shared block counterparts. They are cheap now so you really can't loose buying one as they are pretty cars, but they do have Ferrari style gearboxes and clutches so not cheap to repair. Engines I would say are even more durable than the Ferrari flat planed counterparts. I have had very little trouble with my manual 6 speed 4200 Spyder other than the clutch pump wich I put in myself. Sachs German part failed :)

F456M likes this.
  2. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    F456M, T160, johnei and 2 others like this.
  3. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    Arguably the cross-plane configuration sounds better too

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Anybody ever seen this in person? Built on a short wheelbase Spyder 4200 chassis by Zagato around 2005-2006. How many did they make?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

TBigs likes this.
  5. T160

T160 Rookie

Apr 22, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark Killington
    #80 T160, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Hi there
    New member on here.
    I have a 2003 Verde Goodwood 6-speed Spyder with the glass rear window,I'm based in the UK.
    For anyone interested I contacted the Maserati factory regarding how many RHD 6-speed Spyders were made and they replied with 65.

Attached Files:

• 144.jpg
      144.jpg
      File size:
      48.8 KB
      Views:
    • 053.jpg
      053.jpg
      File size:
      87.8 KB
      Views:
    bay and F1tommy like this.
  6. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Doug DeMuro did one of his reviews on a GT coupe, so wrong in so many ways he is.

F456M and T160 like this.
  7. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    F456M, johnei, F1tommy and 1 other person like this.
  8. T160

T160 Rookie

Apr 22, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark Killington
    That's a beauty, here in old blighty too.
    ps Looks like a rather nice car in the garage too.

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    No EU-kontroll in the Sunshine State!!

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  12. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I saw it on Cars.com on Monday and it was gone when I went to double check the price. I thought the price was a mistake.

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    A lot of cowl shake in the early Spyders

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The biggest problem is the soft suspension on all of them and the exhaust system on the early cars. I think Ferrari wanted it to be a Mercedes Benz so it would not step on their lineup, but as an afterthought as in we made it to nice, dumb it down a bit. The 4200 seems more Ferrari than Maserati(meaning better other than the horrid design CC F1 shifting system), that's why the Maserati guys don't like them as much. The early ones look more classic and traditional Italian design. The later spoked wheels look cheesy IMO, and alot of the owners even chrome them. No taste.

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Also if the 4200 had been under the Ferrari name it would most likely have had a flat plane crank.

16. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    The designer Frank Stephenson recently claimed the GranSport was supposed to be much more hardcore. Something more along the lines of the Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale. However, it was softened before it went to market. I'm happy with how it turned out, but fun to contemplate how it might have been.

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Turns out this 2005 Spyder is a low mile CC not a GT. Sorry for the confusion.

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  20. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Probably not all that great by comparison. FOW campaigned one of the factory race versions for a couple of years. This was about the same time I was running and trying to fettle my own Maserati racer from the mid 90s a Ghibli Open Cup. Back then they used to sponsor track days a couple times a year at Summit Point. I was having issues with my rear suspension toe adjustment coming loose and they the exotic thin box wrench I needed and were kind enough to loan it to me. They were also working on their race car there. So I asked how it was going. I'd watched a few of the races on TV. There team manager said there were having a very hard time maintaining a chassis alignment. Every couple of laps it would wander out of alignment. That sounded familiar ... They'd also completely reworked the transmission to one of their own choice. The next season they dumped both cars and went back to Ferraris I think. Their cars did pretty well I thought but apparently they didn't think they were good enough to win a championship.

I'd bet the car you got was a nice balance but not a hard core track car.

21. Roger348

Roger348 Karting

Feb 10, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Roger Cody
    Hello to All!
    I’m looking for information on where to get suspension parts for my 2002 Spyder, anyone know where’s the best places are?

Thanks
    Roger

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Interesting comparison... Cons: the BMW Z8. The Z8 is slower, they made 2000 more of them than the 4200 Spider, and it does not sound half as good and it's not as good looking as the Maserati unless your in blind love with anything German. Pro's: it has a good manual gearbox on most of the cars. It handles better new than the early 4200's but not so much the Gransport and it's a BMW(wait, the 4200 is a Maserati made by Ferrari, slightly higher on the food chain).

So why do they go close to $200,000.00 and the 4200 struggles to get over $30,000.00 for a good one? I know BAT IS IN LOVE WITH GERMAN CARS, BUT STILL. And don't tell me what a great car the BMW is compared to the 4200, I have driven both.

BMW Z8 For Sale - BaT Auctions (bringatrailer.com)

23. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The Z8 is ugly? I've never thought that at all. I rather like it and I've not heard it called ugly till now and BMW has made some fugly modern coups.
    I've spent 30+ years arguing with other car aficionados about how Maserati's are unfairly undervalued and guess where we are now?
    The market is the market. Ignore it at your own financial peril.

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I don't like it very much because it looks like a poorly done retro by one of my least favorite designers. I reworded the text. Let's just say IMO it's not as good looking as the 4200.

I was so glad when he left Alfa Romeo!!

25. dgi

dgi Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 7, 2004
    Finksburg, MD
    I've recently started looking into a Coupe or Gransport (drooling over MC Victories as well) but am curious if i would even fit at 6'6". Anyone?