430 - F1 driving tips | FerrariChat

430 F1 driving tips

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Mar 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Ok. So I have been told to think of the F1 as manual transmission where the throttle is also your clutch.

So far the tips I have gotten to reduce clutch and transmission wear have been basically don’t let up on the throttle when you shift and don’t drive it up a hill in reverse. Also, don’t use the throttle to keep the car from rolling just use the brake to hold the car.

I’m sure there are more tips out there so here is my question.... I noticed when I come from a standstill in 1st gear if you feather the throttle you can feel the clutch slip and then it abruptly engages. So should I never feather the throttle from standstill and basically push the throttle quickly 1/4 of the way every time trying to let the clutch engage as fast as possible or should I be doing something different from a standstill (just driving around not racing around)?

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i thought you let up on the throttle when shifting to avoid clutch wear that's what i used to do on my f430 maybe i got that wrong...

3. frankgoodson

frankgoodson Rookie

Dec 25, 2008
    Don't feather the throttle. Be a little aggressive with the throttle so the clutch engages fast. Like you said, 1/4 throttle should be fine.

4. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Not sure what you mean by feather the throttle, but in a manual from stop the best method to preserve clutch is maintain consistent low throttle and bring clutch to engagement point and hold until clutch engages then release. It's a common misconception to release clutch and increase throttle at same time, but this extra throttle increases clutch wear. The same can be said for F430 from stop, maintain low throttle until you feel it engage then you can give it the beans