whats the real world gas mileage on a 599 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

whats the real world gas mileage on a 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by ross, Aug 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gstudent

gstudent Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Westlake Village
    Full Name:
    Gene
    My 2010 HGTE is lucky to get about 8 mpg around town and 12-13 on the freeway

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If it makes you feel any better, my 575M is no better.

gstudent likes this.
  3. TheBluesMan

TheBluesMan Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Ira Boren
    Thanks guys. It’s really interesting to see so many various results. Does anyone have the problem filling up the gas reach that I mentioned?

4. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I turn the fuel nozzle 180 degrees. No problem in that configuration.

5. TheBluesMan

TheBluesMan Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Ira Boren
    EP328, I can't can’t wait to try that tip. Thanks

6. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland
    Oh wow. When I fill mine up it costs me €200. With 110 liters I can drive with my 612 about 450 kilometers (approx 280 miles) In the Netherlands we are blessed with the highest taxes on fuel.

Makuono likes this.
  7. gstudent

gstudent Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Westlake Village
    Full Name:
    Gene
    Mine either!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Ira,

I have had similar problems filling up with fuel and I'd experienced it with my previous early '07 599 GTB as well as with my newer '11 599 HGTE. Every now and then the flow valve shuts off when I've engaged the automatic pumping feature at max flow, which has forced me to "manually" hold the lever to pump fuel at a slower rate out of frustration!

I think it may have to do with fuel flow through a relatively smaller diameter tube leading to the tank. At a higher flow flow rate, it's possible the fuel backs up (or regurgitates) which activates the sensitive flow valve on the delivery nozzle and shuts off flow as a safety precaution to prevent fuel spill.

I believe it's all dependent on the fuel flow delivery rate which setting varies from one station to another.

Re the question about fuel mileage, I've observed my 599 to obtain about 15 mpg on the freeway driving at 75 mph average.

I also own an '07 SL55-AMG which has achieved a best 21 mpg on freeway driving also at 75 mph average. In city driving, both cars get about 8-10 mpg.

A drawback of all F-cars with the F1 tranny is that it doesn't like stop-and-go traffic. I don't even use the automatic feature since I'd been warned by a Ferrari Service Manager that using the F1 automatic feature wrecks relative havoc to its clutch plate (most especially in Reverse and in the Wet mannetino settings) and shortens its usable life since those settings allow a bit of clutch slippage! :eek:

Anyway, it's more fun to drive with the mannetino setting at Sport or Race or ESC Off, then shift the tranny manually to provide me with somewhat of an assurance that I'm controlling the car, not otherwise! Likewise keeps me attentive to my driving. :cool:

9. TheBluesMan

TheBluesMan Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Ira Boren
    Thanks for all the comments guys. I always fill up home at a Standard Chevron station. Last week I needed gas away from home and went into a Union 76 station. I had no problem filling the tank. I’ll try it again this weekend. Now I’m thinking that somehow my car doesn’t like that station. My Z06 and Range Rover have no problem there.
    And by the way, I always shift, have the window and listen to the motor.

10. Speed and Angels

Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    If I am not paying attention in my 599 I get about 12 mpg, if I start to pay attention I get about 6 mpg. Not sure if you are looking for a high or low answer here.

My wife’s diesel Range Rover gets 33 mpg (highway)
    My 599 gets about 10 mpg
    My corvette gets about 2-3 mpg on the track
    My F-18 would burn about 100 gallons a minute if I was getting after it

Not sure I ever complained about any of them

YMMV

technom3 and Makuono like this.
  11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Well you didn't have to pay the fuel bill on the last one so it takes some of the edge off. :)

Speed and Angels likes this.
  12. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

10 mpg

But it is a great 10 :)

nota400 likes this.
  13. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I have no idea and I don't know why anyone would care.

George Vosburgh likes this.