250 California Replica on BaT | FerrariChat

250 California Replica on BaT

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by sixcarbs, Feb 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I wouldn't be revving the piss out of it if like that if the oil pressure gauge reads right.

john

ronc52 and JAM1 like this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think some of the BaT commenters will be surprised at how low the final bid is.

But, you never know... maybe two wealthy people will decide they both want it, and I will be the one who is surprised...

sixcarbs likes this.
  4. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Some of the comments cracked me up... projecting the price around a million bucks. On what planet?!

I like the car for what it is though, a clone with good underpinnings that needs a bunch of cosmetics and corrections to make it closer to accurate. It will be a labor of love for whoever wins it. Would be a fun car though. I’ll probably bid on it if the bidding doesn’t go insane.

sixcarbs likes this.
  5. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I think it will be RNM starting with a 4.

Seller refuses to address any questions about the engine.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think that’s a good prediction.

Matt

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Another tragedy.
    Another real Ferrari totally ruined and destroyed forever.
    Not just the body, and the engine, even the chassis tag is fake.
    Fake everything.

It's been for sale for a very long time, last year the asking price was US$ 1.25 M.........

So sad.

Marcel Massini

8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    sorry, RNM ? (something to do with 'Final Price' ?)
    ooooooh! Reserve Not Met ? smh :) BaT users use a lot of acronyms.

9. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Thanks for the info.

Unbelievable! How do you not preserve a chassis tag? How do you end up faking that, unless this thing didn't start life as a Ferrari?

I wonder where the engine came from??

10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    the Seller repeats in numerous places that "As you accurately state, Norwood met with Enzo Ferrari several times when he was alive and Norwood received permission to produce Ferrari P4 replicas. This underscores the difference between a replica – a new frame and body with Ferrari engine and parts. It is not a re-bodied factory produced Ferrari. Ferrari was fanatical about his cars, brand and image. This alone is a statement to the accuracy, quality and value of a Norwood restored and re-bodied Ferrari." I think we all know that this is complete BS, but I don't think I have ever heard this assertion before re: P4 replicas; anyone else?

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    The seller has been very evasive regarding the engine. Now he says he is not sure of the engine's provenance. Ok.

From what I have read of his posts on BaT and some of the comments by the well respected posters here I am guessing he is hoping to get at least $800,000. He really believes it is worth at least that much. I don't think that's going to happen, no matter how quality the replica, or who made it.

From the seller's posts you would think this thing could get a Classiche Red Book if they applied. He and his alter ego compare it to GTO's with replacement parts etc.

Someone is underwater on this thing and wants/needs to get out. They just completed the job. You don't buy these as an investment. You buy these because you are rich and want an expensive toy. Someone was told a rising market/Ferrari market lifts all boats here. Not only is that not so, the market (Ferrari and stock) are coming down, probably a lot since this project was commissioned.

I am not going to torment him on his auction page, but I will make my thoughts known here.

Texas Forever, Smiles and BJK like this.
  12. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I only scanned the comments, but I believe the seller said that he is listing the car on behalf of Bob Norwood...a familiar name in the Ferrari replica world.

13. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    He actually said the seller is "Not a car guy."

14. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I reread the comment...

He’s selling it on behalf of Bob Norwood AND the non-car guy...

15. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Closes in less than 1 hour if anyone wants to follow along.

16. montagna

montagna Rookie

Mar 14, 2014
    Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Reserve not met at $422,222

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Surprised anyone bid that high. Last I looked, which has been a while, top dollar for a fakey do was $250k.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

montagna likes this.