430 - Let's Play Guess the Problem; Error Lights Galore | FerrariChat

430 Let's Play Guess the Problem; Error Lights Galore

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bob in Texas, Feb 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So, here you see the F1 light lit, some suspension thingy light, the e-diff light, CST-off light and some strange triangle light telling me its an exclamation point light. All of these in a nice rotating fashion on the display.

What do y'all think? Possessed? Need an exorcism? Car has spring allergies (it's 75 today). I'll let you guess. The winner gets... well, you get bragging rights.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Weak battery

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. parkem

parkem Karting

Feb 17, 2012
    florida
    Full Name:
    peter palermo
    wheel bearing needs replacing(take it to the bank) Its happened twice to me

4. bobby355

bobby355 Karting

May 21, 2009
    The car starts I assume right? Can you change gears?

5. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I’m with flash. Check your battery.

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Head lights work, horn works, dash lights obviously work

7. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Weak batteries cause all sorts of odd electrical issues. How old is your battery, and have you had it checked?

8. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Can't shift gears

9. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Does your pump run when you open the driver’s door? If not, then check the F1 relay. If so then my next guess is the hydraulic accumulator. Assuming your battery is up to snuff.

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Honestly ..my answer was a swag ..without pulling codes hearing what happens when turning the key, looking at data values I am in the dark

Tell me what transpired from the time everything ok to not ok

11. bobby355

bobby355 Karting

May 21, 2009
    IIRC wheel bearing for me was a little different. Wheel bearing triggered abs light, brake light, mannetino
    okay your problem is identical to mine. Do your brake lights work? Mine was a blown stop light fuse but the sd3 was showing a brake switch. I changed both but never had a chance to run the car to see if it was fixed. Resetting your battery or clearing with sd3 will make it go away temporarily.

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would try to pull codes if not a weak battery before resetting .. this way if it goes away temp you will not know what was the case and maybe get stuck far from home

13. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK, I've been stringing you guys along a bit as this was a bit of a challenge as noted in the title. Flash was the first to guess correctly.
    The original symptoms were as some of you speculated no pump noise when opening the door, starter wouldn't crank and obviously no shifting of gears since the pump wasn't operating. Then there were all the warning messages. I used an OBD and checked for codes (good suggestion), not a one.

Yes.. it was the battery sending the car into a frenzy. The battery was 4 years and 7 months old. A 34R from Interstate and it's always been on a tender when not being driven. The tender - a Granite save-a-battery - was acting odd as well, showing a constant 14.5 volt charging condition, something i've never seen.

Replaced it this morning with another Interstate MTZ-34R and the car started right up, all the message gone. So to all of you who guessed the battery, you were 100% on point. Had to re-program the radio and reprogram the windows.

Thanks gents for adding some brain power to get this resolved in less than a day.

albkid, Eric C, AandSC and 1 other person like this.
  14. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I've never seen a weak battery would cause a "-" on the gear indicator. I think you have a more serious intermittent issue , that, in your case, just happen to disappeared when you replaced the battery.

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Glad you got it all sorted out Bob. My bet was also on weak battery.

I have posted this info many times here. These cars are very sensitive to power / voltage irregularities and will throw all kinds of faults if the electronic units are not getting the voltage it is expecting.

I highly recommend you always attach your battery to a battery tender, and replace your battery every 4 years preventively before it starts to fail you.

Manda racing likes this.
  16. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Glad to hear nothing more serious than the battery!

17. bobby355

bobby355 Karting

May 21, 2009
    You make the problem disappear by resetting the car or clearing faults with sd3.

The OP presumably reset the car by removing the old battery and putting the new one in unless he kept power to the systems during the swap.

I hope it was fixed with the battery but i too worry about an intermittent problem.

18. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Were there any other flashes or indications on the Granite display? While I agree that 4+ years is probably about all we should (unfortunately) expect these days, perhaps I ignorantly thought the Granite would supply a more specific messaging/display about the battery condition.

19. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Daniel,
    The “Status” indicator was flashing rather than steady as normal. Flashing = charging according to the manual. The 14.5 to me indicated something was amiss.

This morning the display says 13.6 and no flashing. That’s what it’s been for 4 years. So I guess the new battery was being conditioned over night, figuring it’s been sitting on a shelf at Interstate.

Lots of folks use different batteries, red top this and red top that, but for my money, the 34R remains the reliable go-to battery. Used it in my 360 and now the 430.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

now I view the photographs again, im 100% sure that its absolutely not a weak battery. No weak battery would cause the gearbox error light, ever.

21. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Why wouldn’t it? If the pump isn’t running as there’s not enough power from the battery (no sound when do opens), then the system wouldn’t be pressurized and the F1 light would come on. Am I missing something?

Everyone’s input to this thread was most appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

22. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #22 Manda racing, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login My Red Top Optima lasted 2 years and one month— a week ago how timely.

lots of same light and gearbox clicking into 1st.

I got a pleasant surprise last night — the salesperson handed me a new 34R and said I looked like I had better things to do than watch him bench test it(the old one ). Thanks O’Reilleys.

23. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sounds like it turned out well!

24. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name: