Coronavirus live update | FerrariChat

Coronavirus live update

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    At this point, not confident

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Me neither

Wearing N95 mask when out from home,had a few in the garage anyway so might as well use em!

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I read in French newspapers that the government there considers banning any event likely to attract a crowd of more than 5000 people.

That could mean ALL sporting events, political rallies, festivals, etc ...

Strangely, I don't see much restriction on flying, which is the best way to spread the virus, I would have thought.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    But will they allow people coming from Italy ..or have been in Italy in to Oz ? The government so far have no restrictions, but the way it's increasing in Italy this could well change.

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #8 Nembo1777, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Firstly that is now no longer a consideration: it is in activated BUT you missed the key word William: banning any INDOOR event likely to attract a crowd of more than 5000 people. The Paris agriculture show (which took place in the same huge exhibition hall where Retromobile took place a month ago) had its last day cancelled yesterday and a Paris half marathon -outdoors obviously- yesterday also got cancelled.

However the situation will evolve. Obviously as numbers rise things will not get any better for a while.

Regarding Melbourne today would have been the day -it is 6.24pm there as I write this- for Australian authorities to announce a GP cancellation: the flying out of equipment and people is beginning now and there was no sign of them getting itchy fingers over the virtual cancellation button. Conceivably they could still cancel in the next 48 hours, after that doing so would be messy as the equipment would land in Oz with no one to receive it.

Australian customs did massively mismanage a classic Maserati rally 18 months ago in which cars where shipped from Europe and the Uk: the cars were blocked in customs and they wanted to tear them apart for ages to see if any asbestos was in them...so the owners all cancelled, asked that the cars go right back and they drove either new Maseratis arranged by Australian dealers or rental cars. It was a public relations disaster...and this happened in Melbourne...so the nightmare would be that despite Binotto asking for reassurances all Italian team and Pirelli personnel would get major scrutiny and anyone remotely sick quarantined...let's hope not...

375+ and william like this.
  7. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Italy just had a 40% increase in cases in the last 24 hours, Iran has no chance of escaping this.

8. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The issue with the Maserati rallly was nothing to do with Australian Customs mismanagment, it was entirely the rally organisers responsiblity, the asbestos import issue is ( and has been ) well known the and should have been factored in to the event planning. The is no "waiver" simply because its a classic Maserati.
    Re the F1;
    I know that Ferrari have sought assurances from the FIA and the owners of F1, however Australian Borderforce won't give an assurance that visitors coming to Australia won't be subject to quarantine next week, (or at some other point in the future), the whole travel situation is being assessed on a daily basis by the Austalian authorities. Wether or not the GP happens is not a consideration in their decision making.

SPEEDCORE likes this.
  9. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    It was bad timing at the end of the day as Customs were forced to crack down on items that might contain asbestos.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Don't get me wrong I love Australia, visiting, Kakadu and Arnhem land in particular is a major travel goal of mine, I host a lady from Melbourne every summer here but that is a very hard nosed uncompromising attitude from customs. They need to produce some advance information for people who will fly 24 hours from Europe so they know what to expect: just common courtesy.

Here is the latest Melbourne related virus news.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-02/coronavirus-bali-melbourne-flight-passengers-quarantine-effort/12016802

11. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    March 2 - AustralianGP

Statement from Australian GP Corporation CEO Andrew Westacott says working closely with health authorities re Coronavirus. No indication of further travel bans, nor any indication teams will not arrive as usual. F1 has again confirmed overnight that the race is going ahead.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Seems like the Moto GP is responding with Qatar and Thailand already cancelled

14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Guys, let's face reality. I watched more than one virologist saying that "up to 70% of the world population might get this virus". Best one can do is to wash your hands 5 times or more per day and avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.

I went skiing yesterday in what is probably the closest resort to the virus hotbed in Italy and I will again almost all weekends until the end of the winter. I'm not worried about getting sick, I'm more worried about getting this virus and then passing it to others who might not have a good health like me.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    One wonders how many GPs will be left on the calendar at this rate.
    Liberty's aim to increase the number of races is in trouble.
    2020 promises to be a different season.

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Evidently USA is only now just starting to get the required numbers and correct type of testing units.

Instead of reported 116 the true figure is around 2 or 3 thousand...they are about 3 weeks behind real data.

Flavio_C likes this.
  17. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    True. Imagine the hundreds of thousands of people who travelled to or from China, South Korea, Singapore, etc. This virus has been circulating around the world for a month or so but just now people are getting tested.

18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    How is it in the resorts? busy or a lot less folks there?

19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Less people for sure but not as bad as I was expecting. In the previous weeks before the Coronavius, this same place was ridiculously crowed, to the point it was unplesant, with huge queues on the lifts. Yesterday it felt like it was the beggining or the end of the season, but restaurants were full and the rental places also. Definetly less revenue but very far from being an economic disaster.

20. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary

21. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPCC) will meet today to decide whether additional protection measures, such as bans on mass gatherings, will be introduced
    The AHPCC is made up of all state and territory chief health officers and is chaired by Australia's chief medical officer Brendan Murphy. The committee could choose to enact restrictions such as bans on large sport and entertainment events, and requests for people to work from home. Sources have told the ABC Australians should anticipate changes, including more social distancing measures, to prevent or slow the spread of the virus.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-03/coronavirus-covid-19-has-begun-spreading-within-australia/12018688

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Looking bad...if they cancel now the logistics for the teams will be a nightmare....if there are many GP cancellations this year all sorts of new problems will emerge, sponsors wanting money back etc

23. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yup It was pretty grim watching the news tonight, I figure things are going to get worse before they get better, looks like we are in uncharted territory.