Ferrari 458 alcantara dash panel recover project | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458 alcantara dash panel recover project

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RayJohns, Jul 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    I'm considering this also and would love to see you cover it in your inimitable detailed style here if at all possible Ray?

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Hi Andy,

I am actually going to start a detailed thread on it shortly. I'm just waiting for Gary at Braille to ship it out (ETA is about 3 weeks). They are, however, sending the battery tender out on Monday and I've already ordered up the components from Mouser electronics, which will allow me to splice the Ferrari style plug connector on; this will not only allow me to plug things right in, but also will alert then ECU in the car that the tender is present.

There is actually a very good thread by another user here on Ferrarichat, which details the plug part numbers and the pinout required for the connector. I will post a link to his thread as well as a full run down on everything, when I post the thread.

With regard to the battery charger, keep in mind it's important to use a tender designed for a lithium ion battery. I was just speaking with Braille about that today and will relate all the information they have provided on the topic via the thread, once I begin it.

I'll may also be wiring in a DC shunt, which will allow measurement of the current draw and also the parasitic current draw in the system. I've also purchased a older 355/360 style master kill switch and plan to incorporate that.

The battery I'm using (and which is on order) is their i48CE here:

https://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_batteries/i48ce

I plan to begin the thread in about a week.

Ray

3. BlueIn2Red

BlueIn2Red Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Tring, UK
    Lovely, thank you.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm going to inspect the leather in that area to see what Ferrari has done under there and will also be testing the material I have as far as what it takes to tear it and/or if it will require any sort of scoring on the underside in order to help facilitate opening of the air bag assembly.

Ray

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Happy to se you are back here Ray !

Very interesting to follow all your work and experiences !

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks very much!

Ray

8. cholmes1

cholmes1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Ray. Look forward to seeing the dash project when the other 'to do' items finish.

Best,
    Charles

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #84 RayJohns, May 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, I had a few spare minutes the other day, while my girlfriend was off at Yoga, and managed to try out the 2mm neoprene foam rubber I bought off eBay. I think it turned out pretty nice! Here are some photos and also a video that I uploaded to YouTube.

I'm going to allow the adhesive backing to dry for a few days, then maybe put the dash out in the sun or by the fire place and see how everything holds up. If it passes that test, then next up on the list will be sewing the Alcantara cover and gluing that down.

My double needle Singer sewing machine (which I'll be using to sew the Alcantara) is cleaned up fairly well, but I need to reinstall the bearings, etc. on it.

Anyway, here's the latest, for anyone that is following along with this project.

The photos below show adhering the foam to the dash panel, then trimming the foam around the edges using a very sharp razor blade. I used a coarse nail file to sort of roll over the foam and give the edge a nice clean finish all the way around. I also used a needle (coated in mineral spirits) to take care of a couple of small air bubbled that ended up trapped under the foam. The adhesive is super grippy, so it wasn't too forgiving as far as trying to squeegee the bubbles out.

Here's the YouTube video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVX8WdOUWqQ

The final photo of the panel on my couch is the finished product with the foam and all the edges smoothed over.

Ray
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. cholmes1

cholmes1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Looks great! Thanks for the update

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks! The foam seems to have adhered well to the dash panel. I'm going to test out the glue between a scrap of the foam and some of the alcantara soon here, in order to see how well that bond holds.

I'll follow up regarding how the glue test works out shortly.

Ray

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Nice progress (and YT) again Ray ... :D !

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #88 RayJohns, May 18, 2017
    I know you guys probably think I've forgotten about this project, but I see my dash every time I drive the car, so it's still in the front of my mind :)

Here's the latest and greatest:

So, first off... I decided that I need a slightly different sewing machine to really pull this all off correctly. The vintage Singer 112W140, which I recently purchased and have been restoring is a very nice machine, but in my excitement to order it, I didn't quite realize what I was doing. The Singer 112W140 is a dual needle machine (which is great), but it doesn't have an alternating presser foot (which isn't great). Yeah, the W140 would probably work just fine for this project (with its dogs under the presser feet), but the W139 has the alternating presser feet design, which walks the fabric while alternating back and forth over the material.

In the world of sewing, this might be something rather minor, but I feel the alternating presser feet might give me better overall tension in my stitches and that's important. Someone more experienced with these machines might be able to tell me that I'm worrying about something very minor here, but since I plan to keep this machine for many years after this project on the 458 is done, I feel like now is the time to make the jump from restoring the 112W140 to the 112W139 with its alternating presser feet. Call me crazy, but I think buying the second machine, fixing both up, then selling one will be worth it years from now.

Okay, second, I decided to take my 458 up to the dealer and let them do the free oil change, etc. on it. Even though I had already bought everything to do it myself, I felt like it was probably best to just let the dealer handle it this time around, since I know they like to keep tabs on the cars and make sure everything is "by the book" as far as service goes. Also, if I end up buying a 488 and selling the 458, it's always nice to have complete service records and all.

Anyway, while I was at the service center, I had a chance to chat with one of the technicians about how exactly the passenger side dash panel is removed. I'm happy to report that it sounds like a job I'll be able to handle and that it's not quite as involved as I thought (and as the workshop manual makes it appear). So that's good news.

I still need to order the larger foam for the passenger panel and do some further testing on the adhesives I'm planning to use, but so far so good.

The second vintage Singer sewing machine will be arriving next week and then I'm going to have to strip that down and repaint it, etc, etc. Once that machine is cleaned and timed and all back together, then I may actually get to doing some test stitching soon here.

So that's the latest. If everything stays on track, I figure my car will have a nice new Alcantara dash in a few more months. I'll post a few photos of the restoration of the 112W139 as well for anyone who is interested. For now, below is a photo of the machine I purchased. It's pretty rough looking, I know, but these machines go for several thousand dollars in good condition and this one I bought here was practically free.

So we'll see how it goes.

Ray

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #89 RayJohns, May 30, 2017
  15. kramsay1234

kramsay1234 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Wow. This is becoming a sewing machine education and restoration thread and an alcantara dash thread. That's a lot of thread for those sewing machines.
    Keep the education coming.

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Gotta have the right machine for the job! :)

The 1st one is probably going to be used mainly to donate parts for this one. The 112W139 has the alternating presser foot, which is better for sewing the Alcantara I think. I want the stitching to be first class, so the machine has to be top notch also.

In studying the videos on YouTube showing how Ferrari does it at the factory, I noticed most of their machines are the double needle w/ the alternating walking presser feet; my buddy who does a lot of custom leather sewing said that stitching thread tension is everything, so I wanna make sure I have the best possible machine for this job before diving into things any further.

Ray

17. jaapio

jaapio Karting

Feb 19, 2016
    Bruinisse, the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jaap
    very nice project, how do you actually remove the panel from the car, you pull it to the rear of the car and it slides out ?

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Great work Ray !

19. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
  20. ExoticMotorsportsOK

BANNED

Jun 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Braiden Bond
    Do you know how to remove this dash piece? The dash on my car is wrinkled from the sun but I can not find anything on how to remove this piece.

21. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It's pretty easy. There are two screws on either side of the tach surround. Once these are out, pull the piece slightly up to release the spring clips and then forward (toward the steering wheel). The forward edge of the binnacle (toward windshield) has a clip that goes "under" the dash in front. Not hard to do but just take it easy. Below may help, but doesn't really tell you much.

22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    There are two screws up front (look underneath and up and you'll see them). And there are some clips and pins also that you must free.

Here are some photos that might help give you an idea of what you are up against. It's designed to come towards you, once you remove the two main screws there.

I have a spare panel for sale if you need it.

Ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Skipthadip likes this.
  23. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Excellent thread! Thanks for putting this together. It’s just the info I need for my project

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I have that panel for sale if anyone needs it

Ray

25. Riverrocket

Riverrocket Rookie

Mar 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    edward domm
    Nice write up. What size and type needle did you use on the sewing machine for Alcantera?