Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 42 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Where did you get the Taycan is 50% slower than a Model S? Are you kidding me??????

This according to Top Gear -

First things first, we ran the drag race five times and the Porsche won every time by a small but increasing margin with each subsequent race.

The best figures we recorded for the Taycan Turbo S were:

0-60: 2.61
    0-100: 6.12
    ¼ mile: 10.69s @ 131.6mph

The best figures we recorded for the Tesla Model S Performance were:

0-60: 2.83
    0-100: 6.64
    ¼ mile: 11.23s @ 123.2mph

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Well Jerryz ...I am glad to hear your update I must say I thought you were crazy when I read your original post... I am glad it has worked out for you I wish I had bought some shares when you did at 33.......good for you....

DGPF and JERRYZ like this.
  3. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I stand corrected. I see the Motortrend test results just came out last week and I hadn't seen them yet. Still, 0-60 Tesla is slightly quicker than the Porsche but Porsche takes the quarter mile slightly over the Tesla.

Still the range of the Taycan is paltry compared to the Model S and it's Turbo S version is $185k vs. the Tesla Performance is $135k. Big fail for Porsche.

DGPF likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I was surprised that the Tesla held it's own. I mean Porsche Taycan is about 9 years newer. It better should be way faster/cheaper right? Good job Tesla.

DGPF, JERRYZ and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, the Tesla is way ahead on range. The $185K is only the base price of the Taycan, it can run well over $200K. I'm sure it is probably better appointed than the Tesla and has better styling, but that is a huge premium.

6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    The Tesla Model S Performance is only $99,900 starting price in the US.

More importantly the S and the Taycan are two completely different types of cars. Besides for the EV aspect you're comparing a 911 to an E-Class. Nobody would ever pit those two together in any serious manner, nor should the Taycan and S be compared in any serious manner. The Taycan is a good car, and it handles wonderfuly but its got a tiny interior and very little cargo space and its massively expensive. Its technology is also a bit of a joke, first time I tried to test drive it, I couldn't because the dealer had locked the keys in the car.

It's also questionable how far ahead Tesla is on autonomous driving, they make alot of big claims and have alot of hardware out there, but they are still very, very, very far away from driverless cars. Their self-designed hardware only gained parity with the original Mobileye (now Intel) designed system from 2014 a year or so ago, and you can bet Mobileye hasn't been standing still for the last 6 years.

Tesla's energy side is often overlooked, but it could eclipse its car division. They are the only ones doing grid scale batteries, and would be doing alot more, but they are production constrained and are focusing on the car side for now. Solar + Batteries is becoming cost competitive with fossil fuels, and has the potential to become an extremely large market.

DGPF likes this.
  7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That is shocking. I didn't think that was possible in modern cars.

DGPF likes this.
  8. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    JERRYZ wrote: "My exit point will be when market cap growth slows down to the point of being a value stock and no longer a growth stock."

With all due respect Jerry, that exit point may occur between 9:30:00 a.m. and 9:30:05 a.m. on THE day.

9. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Go back and reread my post—I gave you a good example of the competition. But don’t take my (or Bill Gates’) word for it; see Nospinzone’s cold hard data courtesy of Top Gear on Porsche as a strong force in this space.

Does your compliance officer know you are on an Internet forum talking your book?

10. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I would invert that —^. The newcomer to this space smoked the veteran. Given that Tesla had a ~ 10-year head start, I would expect it to show in these results.

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I would agree if the Taycan was going against a gen 2 S.

DGPF and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  12. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    MWHC4S likes this.
  13. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I was talking about Tesla’s considerable head start in the EV space more generally and not model specific. But regardless it is still a fair comparison since it is Tesla’s first gen vs. Porsche’s first gen.

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's not. I have tried it on purpose numerous times.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think this thread derailed many times but if we go back to his main point in regards to investment, make fun of him all you want the man had a nose for this stock and even after that past week it has appreciated extremely well and made him money...
    As far as cars, I drive ferraris for fun but for commuting , at least in the Bay Area, one can not deny the value proposition from Tesla. They are just everywhere here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DGPF likes this.
  16. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

This makes no sense. Comparing generations of cars years apart when technology has moved considerably forward is nonsensical. Because of what Tesla has done allows the ray an to do what it does. They are intimately tied.

I’m no fan boy of either but a competitive landscape helps all and it is good to see companies putting their best bets on the table.

SV

Jaguar36 likes this.
  17. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    The latest version of the Model S was released April of 2019–less than a year ago.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You can buy my Taycan Turbo S. I dont think its for me. :)

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Real world - I smoked a P100D off the line with 3 people in my Turbo S. Not even close. Tesla is no match for the Porsche in overall driving performance, fit an finish and aesthetics. Tech-wise it goes the other way.

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Well u are comparing a brand new cars vs a 7 year old technology. So I don’t think it’s a faire comparison and I’d argue that Tesla still has the advantage in performance because of how old their package is and it sill does great. I’m not a fan of them but the roadster they have coming up should be a glimpse of what they have in store.

DGPF likes this.
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Fair? No such thing. They will all get better and speed-wise the differences will be marginal. Where it counts are in other areas. For me, the Tesla is a blender or a toaster, just an appliance and built out of cheap plastics however as I stated their tech is much better than Porsches today even at 7 years old.

randkin and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Their tech isn’t even that good, the new 2020 s class does way more and autopilot just as good.

Gh21631 and DGPF like this.
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #1048 Gh21631, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Right but that should tell you something about Porsche's. I am not impressed with their interface, web or mobile app. It needs a lot of work.

Maybe I'm being too critical.

24. Natkingcolebasket69

Well I have not seen their tech ; it does seem pretty good but again pretty good is likely not good enough for a 200k car is I think what u partially imply too.

25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

The Porsche is 200k?? Wow had no idea they where that pricey. I suppose the car is a bit of a flop then. With that price point, it should simply crap all over a Tesla which it does not.

Jaguar36 likes this.