458 Italia - Differences in Model Years | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Italia - Differences in Model Years

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wthensler, May 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I agree with Mel. I highly doubt that you would notice the technical differences on the street as these changes are aimed at the upper levels of performance. I know that I myself would probably not even notice them on the track.

All that having been said: when you see the right one, regardless of year, you'll know it and little else matters. I found that when I was deciding between two similarly-equipped cars, weighing the pros and cons of each, luckily a third one came up and out shadowed the other two. Had been looking at the other two for ~ 2 months, decided on mine within 5 minutes after seeing it.

2. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    With that beautiful color combination, I'm surprised that it took even 5 minutes!!!!! Fred

3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    This is exactly what I was told by multiple Ferrari tech's, when I asked them....

4. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    So with a 2010 or 2011 you get the update and don't face the risk of transmission failure but lose the deep sounding exhaust with he pops and burbles?

5. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    If this 2011 car does not have the software update and I take my car to the Ferrari dealer do I have to pay for this update?

6. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks!

You are right, it actually took 0 minutes. After looking at the other two 458's, I had went ahead and spec'd/ordered a 488. This was a 99% match to what I had ordered. The only differences were the lack of Nav and the horse on the headrest was not Burgundy, two things that were not critical. So already when I saw the spec sheet I knew; only had to go to the dealer because I had a hard time believing it could be that close of a match.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yep thats correct - i wld have run the risk of tranny failure had i been given the choice - that sounds was to die for.

8. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I had a similar situation when I bought my 458 Spyder back in 2014. I was looking for a recently sold F430 Spyder on the dealer's website, curious what the asking price had been, when I saw a 458 Spider that looked as though it had been configured just for me. The dealer already had my Dino, which was in for some refurbishment. I immediately contacted the dealer (Algar), and closed the deal within 24 hrs., the only reason for the delay being the dealer's locking in a buyer for my trade. Enjoy your beautiful car, Vince! Fred

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    ALLWAYS have an official PPI done at the local oem F dealer.

Faults shown should be corrected before even talking about price ...

So in this case, insist on having all upgrades before negotiation the price.

A PPI is an official Ferrari.com document, consisting of 200 inspection points. Also needed if an extended warranty is ordered.

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    This sums it all up, imho. A 2010-2011 car is no different from any subsequent model years. Differences are in terms of software, not hardware. Software is reversable and updatable.

Never heard of any Ferrari customer that paid for a scheduled software update on his car.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Any other hidden changed for the last year 2015?

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    There are tuners out there that can make the changes in the software that give you back the sounds. They can also make the throttle more linear and other things as well. I went to Algar (my car is there in storage) yesterday to download the software from my car and I am sending it to the tuner I went with. From there they will make adjustments to the car that I want. The good part is I can flash it back to stock when needed.

13. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Which tune are you going with? I’m seriously tempted for both the same reasons myself!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  15. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    to continue the derailment....

This looks like a scan tool and live data reader also. Wonder what modules it can communicate with and it is obviously bi directional on communication. Perhaps it can take care of the green wrench. A launch alternative with a program for a little more money??

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Maybe. Worth contacting the company to find out.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I contacted the owner of the company and he said right this minute it cannot, but should have a solution in a few weeks! I’ll post back after he can confirm. Great suggestion!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

18. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I was going to call on Monday as I did not even think of them answering today. So good looking out.

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I went with openflash they are working on my tune now. For me it was either the pedal gets fixed on the car goes, I cannot live with it.

20. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    Great thread of info - just picked up a 2015 spider and still learning...