Concourse tyres for Pre 1960 Ferrari road cars | FerrariChat

Concourse tyres for Pre 1960 Ferrari road cars

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Longstone Tyres, Feb 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I have recently had contact from someone who had been marked down at a concourse for having a 1958 Ferrari fitted with the 185VR16 Pirelli Cinturato.

In my mind that tyre was an option.

And also in my mind, up untill recently, It was the most original tyre you could get.There have been 6.00-16 crossply tyres available. but not V rated and not period except possibly the Avon TurboSpeed. But i'm pretty sure Ferrari never fitted that. OK Dunlop Racing, but they didn't fit that to road cars and it is a later tread pattern anyway.

The argument was that hese cars fitted 6.00-16 crossply tyres. and not radial. i think that is not fully correct, because i know that the Pirelli Cinturato 175HR400 CA67 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/5883/category/7123 was one radial option. However i also think 185VR16 Cinturato CA67 was an option for 16" wheel cars.

This is a sort of an invalid issue now, because Pirelli have now made the 6.00V16 Stella Bianca https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/600-16-pirelli-stella-bianca.html which was the standard crossply tyre they fitted. so when preparing a car for a concourse that is the easy option (unless you have 400mm Borrani). But i don't think you should get marked down on a mid to late 50s car for fitting Cinturato. other radials maybe but not Cinturato.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I hate to be "that guy" but a concourse is a large open area in front of a building.

A Concours is a car show that is usually judged, as in Concours d' Elegance.

Noted in the spirit of being helpful. :)

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I was told at a Porsche show the value stems had to line up with the Porsche emblem on the wheel hubs. This is why I hate these artificial beauty pageants.

My favorite was Tom Shaughnessy who brought an old banger to I believe Concorso that was so dusty you could see cat prints on the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

readplays likes this.
  4. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    That's half right. The wheel hub emblems all have to line up so that the Stuttgart horsey is facing, well, Stuttgart.
    This will of course change depending upon where the show is geolocated on Earth One relative to Stuttgart.
    Come on, Dale! You should know these things.

Texas Forever likes this.