Fake tool kits. Beware. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Fake tool kits. Beware.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PAUL BABER, Nov 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  2. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Yes the puller is threaded for left and right side bearing removal. I never had to use it for the front hub so I can’t answer. I am just a normal driver with limited mechanical skills :confused:

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Romano, all these early car tool kits were meant to accompany the car when original owners were using the cars for their intended purposes, i.e. long distance leisure travel in various parts of the world were roadside garages or service stations were not expected to have specialized tooling or equipment to service or emergency repair exotic touring cars.

Just like today with modern equivalent, high end exotic/luxury vehicles, other than perhaps changing a flat tire and fueling, I'd imagine most of those original owners were not actually expecting to "work" on any mechanical aspects of their own cars.

readplays and turbo-joe like this.
  4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Well, I only said I had the toolkit, not the car...:)

Regards, Alberto

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, that certainly explains the lack of evidence on those tools having been used much. :rolleyes:
    Most people seem to get the car before toolkit, but you’re obviously taking unconventional approach... :)

375+ likes this.
  6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    A few years ago I was driving my GTC from Naples to Celebration FL for the annual Celebration Exotic Car Festival. It’s a great show! Nearly there as I drove down the exit ramp off of I-4 the engine dies.

I pulled over on the shoulder to try a restart. Nothing. One good thing about these old bangers is they are simple. Either no spark or no fuel. I pulled the console in about 2 minutes (ask me how I know) and checked the leads to the electric fuel pump. It had juice but I didn’t hear the “click-click-click” of the Bendix pump in the rear left wheel well.

So I opened the trunk and pulled out the lead knockoff hammer. Crawled under the car and “whacked” the Bendix. Ahhhh the great clicking sound returned and off I go to event.

I doubt my repair method is found in any manuals or guides. It’s probably the only time I successfully “fixed it with a hammer”....lol.

430tdf, 375+, Texas Forever and 3 others like this.
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... and in that process you managed to disprove an ancient myth held by many old school auto mechanics: "If it can't fixed with a hammer, it must be a electrical problem !" :)

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Well Timo, the explanation is very simple, enough $ to buy the toolkit, not enough $ to buy the car :)

Regards, Alberto

9. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    I just remembered, that my father used to whack the fuelpump regulary, befor we took the car out. strangely, we haven´t hammered thhe pump since a long time. Maybe the modern fuel does´t stick the fuel pump as much as the old stuff?....

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Not sure. I just think the Bendix pumps were an antiquated design that ultimately wears out and require a re-build. I removed mine and installed a Holley. Sure the humming is not as an eclectic sound as the click-click but I don't have to worry about failure. The ole Bendix is in a box on a shelf.....next to the Lucas alternator....and the Lucas cooling fans and the York a/c compressor. I keep the original parts but installed newer better stuff to make the car better. Not going to win any awards at car shows. But I know I can drive it to the show and back home without worry!! LOL.

turbo-joe and Texas Forever like this.
  11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Forget the shows and just drive it, preferably on the roads less traveled and more scenic.
    Best thing you can do to and with your car. Your toolkit, fake or not, may even thank you for it. :)

turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    This fake toolkit thing is a pretty professionally orchestrated scam! As someone mentioned we need to have a PPI done on toolkits? Yikes! Although I don't do the show circuit I do know that judges don't deduct for repro tools at the main events [FCA annual and Cavallino]. Basically there is no need to overpay for original items. My jack kit is complete. The tool kit is missing items that I have not bothered to procure at this point. But when my new garage in the mountains is completed and finally my cars are all under one roof I will have the place and the time to start my search to find the missing tools. Repros would be fine. If you haven't seen the thread on my garage project here's the link.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-dream-garage-in-the-mountains.615517/

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Pretty nice garage, but that water fall is just amazing !!!
    There's at least one thing I'd do differently with the garage, a (2-post) LIFT ...

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    don´t think so
    when you see carbs after 1 year standing the fuel is gone and a lot of depris is inside hard to remove. too much chemical stuff meanwhile in the fuel

you only use the car for going to shows? for this the car is not made - drive it and you see how much fun it makes

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    This is the exact opposite of what he said. Read his post more carefully.

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    And, by the way, people can choose to enjoy these amazing cars any way the sexier is best for them. If a collector chooses to drive his car more sparingly, maintaining his car at optimal and original condition, and enjoys showing at top concours, than fantastic.

17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Joe...I guess sometimes my posts are as clear as mud. It’s actually the opposite. I don’t own any show cars. All are drivers. What makes the 330 GTC special is that it’s actually a very practical vintage Ferrari. I will drive it to the grocery store or a long distance trip. Being my 2nd GTC I have upgraded the systems.....cooling, electrical, a/c, fuel pump and more. Heck I even have “fast” windows through modification. I drove this car solo on an 821 mile nonstop (cept fuel and pit stop) trip from Naples to Blowing Rock NC on a 100 degree July day. Both car and driver were cool as a cucumber. Make no mistake. All my cars get driven!!!

18. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    We visited the Ferrari factory in the year 2,000. We saw the production lines. They were very clean, and had a sequence of stations where specific parts were installed. Each of these stations had only a very small number of tools needed to install these parts. These tools varied greatly from station to station with one exception: They all had a hammer.

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Assembly lines of modern Ferraris do not appear much different from any other mass produced automobiles, just smaller in scale, though hammers, if/when needed or present, might be closer to same. :rolleyes:

20. Sellatease

Sellatease Rookie

Oct 18, 2019
    Nigeria
    Full Name:
    Alpha Donald
    Thanks for the enlightenment. I think we should join hands together to fight fake products. These fake products have flooded our markets and they cause more harm than good.

Imagine using one of these fake tools kits or buying a fake Ferrari part for your luxury car. The fake parts might cause another problem altogther.

21. mechaniker

Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    When the 599 was produced, my father and I saw, how a Switch in the Dash was installed. It didn´t ploped in at the first try, so the worker just took the Rubber Hammer and "politely told the switch to go in".

TTR, Texas Forever and turbo-joe like this.
  22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Perhaps that says more about the production design and engineering qualities of the manufacturer... ? :rolleyes:

Can also make one wonder if other brands, be they American, German, Japanese, etc., require a use of “R.H.” for similar tasks on their assembly lines ? o_O

turbo-joe and mechaniker like this.
  23. mechaniker

Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    At BMW in Leipzig, I saw how they get the Shut Lines correct. R.H. got help from R.B. (Rubber Block). So R.H.s brute force was spread by the work of R.B. a bit.

TTR and turbo-joe like this.
  24. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Alberto, I had a tool box similar to yours that was made by Bob Smith in the late 1990s for a 410 Superamerica. I never used it either! Image Unavailable, Please Login