A $450k F8? And then adding about 50k for Taylor Made!? | FerrariChat

A $450k F8? And then adding about 50k for Taylor Made!?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by bluesea, Feb 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bluesea

bluesea Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    #1 bluesea, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Hey Gang,

I’m somewhat new to buying Ferrari’s, having bought a used F12, and then a used 812 within a year (traded up).

I have been offered a TM spot. Maybe I still need approval, but my sales person suggested it given that my spec is about $450k and I have asked about the possibility of adding interior options that are not on the standard options list – Poltrona Frau leather, Mmmm!).

My first of two questions, to experienced Taylor Made customers and others with some knowledge of TM, is, will the resale of the car will bring in a higher percentage from the original MSRP or just make it a bit easier to sell – kind of like having a lot of carbon pieces?

Secondly, and perhaps more important, is, if I can get into the TM program now (New York unit), would Ferrari then value me as a higher value customer than if I just finalize my highly spec’d car now through the dealer. I’d have three buys within two years regardless, but would going through the TM program give me some additional cred going forward?

As mentioned above, my F8 spec is about $450k (which I already wonder is too much for a V8 model – triple-layer paint, a lot of carbon fiber and ADAS). A TM version would likely cost another $50k. So, a half million dollars for an F8 that is about as good as a 300-350K version.

My current spec is Grigio Coburn (Thank you, Mr. Coburn!) over Nero, all leather interior, including roof liner, rear wall, Daytona seats, G. Scuro stitching and Alcantara carpeting. Black calipers.

I wonder if Taylor Made makes more sense for V12 GT cars/Lusso T than V8s which are probably driven less and for shorter distances.

Your thoughts on this would be very appreciated. I need to make a decision and sign some papers soon to get me into the queue. Thanks!

2. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Although I have no experience with Ferrari TM (lots of experience with Porsche Exclusive), I can tell you with some certainty that it will will barely register with anyone but the odd buyer who may have the identical taste to yours and happens to be looking for your exact car at the time you happen to be selling it. In fact a high degree of individualization in any high priced car can have the opposite affect and restrict the buyer pool when you go to sell. It's also a well known fact that other than 'must have' options, the older the car gets the less options actually matter in the resale price. TM the car and assume you will get little if nothing extra for it on resale, and if it's still worth it to you then do it anyway.

If residual value is a consideration then buy an F8 with the 'must have' options and tack on some of the standard options you like. History is clear on these cars and all you have to do is look at the 488. In two years all F8s will be worth around $250k give or take +/- $25k, and whether one paid $300k or $500k for theirs will matter little ... at best you'd have spent $200k extra to get that $25k upside.

If having exactly what you want is more important than $ lost, then go all out and make it yours.

All this aside, paying more for an F8 than a very well specced Pista seems counterintuitive.

3. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    If you are already planning on doing a higher priced spec, I would recommend doing tailor-made if given the opportunity. Especially if you are interested in upgraded interior materials, being able to peruse the wide array is well worth the opportunity. The additional expense I would say is worth the experience of having the team guide your decisions.

with respect to resale, this is the crystal ball question that really cannot be answered. I do believe that some tailor-made examples command a premium compared to a bare-bones spec, but obviously it would depend on the future market. I’ve seen people toss around a 10% return on carbon etc, but really who knows. If you are already planning on spending triple layer money for a paint job... well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

regarding increased cred, I doubt your history would register as significant in the eyes of the mothership. Certainly in this present era of pricing and volume, the truly limited/numbered editions will go to true heavy hitters. My personal opinion is that chasing that Dragon is a fools errand unless you have near unlimited funds.

my vote: go for it! And be sure to post up the renders after your visit.

bluesea, 355TDI and Ash Patel like this.
  4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    +10000

bluesea likes this.
  5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I had a TM spot for my 812 GTS order , actually was to be for this Monday but 3 weeks ago I was getting cold feet on adding a significant amount of money to a car that will be already a significant amount of money . I actually thought TM would be not that much more and just awesome for the experience. However after talking about possible options w my salesman I decided no . I didn't want to go and worry about ordering a $700k car that's not a limited edition . So I ended up spec'ing the car in the showroom , lots of options and a color combo that I feel is unique enough for me. After that it will also will be a pretty penny too , so I am happy that I'm not adding an extra $50k or more for fit and finish items. Of course some do it , I guess in their mind it is money well spent , some things they can do for you seem to be very unique from the materials to the colors making the car a very special purchase , but make no mistake for a lot more money than you might guess .
    I don't think re-sale value changes much. If I were in the market for a pre-owned 812 , TM or not I'm buy the color combo and options that appeals to me first before a TM plaque makes the deal. On the other hand TM cars could also be known as OTO , so maybe there is an upside.

Lucky for me I did not buy the airline tickets the corona effects have now shuttered the factory events including TM.

Manda racing and bluesea like this.
  6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I almost bought a 2015 458 SA at 500k which was a TM. To me it is worth it, but I couldn't convince my wife to allow 3 F's sitting in garage. 500k F8? I could not get myself to imagine that.

But Grigio Coburn is definitely one of my go to colors as well when I do TM, along with Blu Simon's and Helen.

How about just buy the regular F8 spider or save the TM for 812 GTS?

Bhh and bluesea like this.
  7. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    When I was approved for TM (Maranello) on my Pista - I would be one of the first few to ever do TM at our dealership so there was not a lot of information. I had to reach out and talk to others to learn about the process and I had a million questions. My SA and I were excited that maybe it could be one of the first cars delivered to Canada and an experience of a lifetime. Yes, its definitely the experience of a lifetime, going to the factory and VERY personally customizing a Ferrari is very cool (but a little overwhelming)! TM is not the for faint of heart, you need to make some pretty big decisions about your design and you are going out of "range" so you need to be careful on how unique you make it. The other issue with a Pista was that the standard options were already so vast, hence going TM to make it different and unique is harder then you might think. Arriving in June 2020, it will be here approximately 15/16 months from the time we went to Italy and 2 years after I put down a deposit for one - probably the last Pista to arrive to our dealer (yeah not first hehe). My spec will be very unique and might even hold some of its "extras" but its about $75kUSD more then the average highly optioned Pista so you never know. All in all I would do it again but its really better to try and do it on a car you think you will keep for a long time because its a huge time commitment, a long wait, and its harder for Ferrari to do so while they charge you extra I am sure they also don't want to you turning around and selling it 6months later. Hope this helps..

Manda racing, bluesea and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Exactly. Hope OP did not take any offense about his F8. Not our intention here at all.

bluesea likes this.
  9. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    If you are spec’ing a F8 at $450-$500k then resale shouldn’t even enter your mind....you are doing it just because you can and that amount of money from a regular f8 is only a rounding error.

Now take this from me as guy that will be buying a f8 maybe in 2 years to trade in my 488. For my fun cars I buy 1-2 year old cars. A outrageous spec car is not going to make me want it more. Those high priced options that matter to you do not matter to me. So you see, resale shouldn’t matter to you if you do a extremely high spec.

On the other hand, if it was me and I had $450-$500k to blow ....on a car....I would by a Pista. I still like the look, and what the Pista is about more than the F8.

bluesea, tekaefixe, Alexcle and 3 others like this.
  10. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    People have different financial levels of pain they are willing to go through for toys. If 450k is a drop in the bucket, go for it with TM.
    But you will not get your money back, the car will not be worth more on resale. Ferrari will however love you and it’s certain to be an experience of a lifetime.

Gh21631, bluesea and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    In answer to your questions let me keep this simple........no and no, but it will be a great experience for whatever that's worth.

bluesea and 355TDI like this.
  12. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    +1
    and from a fan of TM I will never make a TM on a F8......well honestly I will skip F8 and I will buy a Pista with all must have options.....IMHO
    you can get one now or few months later at MSRP and enjoy in good health.
    F8, specially if TM, will arrive one year later and another year later the new V6+hybrid model will replace the F8. It is basically a gap cover car.
    Pista is a completely different driving experience.......not only much more beautiful IMHO

13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's a hell of a lot of money for an F8. By the time you get it the F8s will already be substantially depreciating. I wouldn't drop $500K on a normal, V8 Ferrari, especially the F8 given what exactly the model is.

Bhh and bluesea like this.
  14. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    As a comparison, my local dealer had a 2018 488 GTB with an original MSRP of $439k and it recently sold for $260k (had approximately 1,600 miles?) . Not much different, if at all, from any other 488. But if you want TM then you should go for it.

bluesea likes this.
  15. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No - Buy a Pista

paulchua, Bhh, bluesea and 2 others like this.
  16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Meanwhile on Wall St ....

I would not be buying any big ticket items until this virus stuff unravels

bluesea, IloveGT and Ash Patel like this.
  17. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    This is another good point

bluesea likes this.
  18. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    valid point, I feel so blessed that I sold almost all stocks just in time before this week started, have friends who're not that happy right now :mad:

bluesea and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    wow,good job. i did last august then watched the ramp up since then...so now back to around those times ..what to do?

Let me know when things bottom out ha!

bluesea likes this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    bluesea likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    If you have money to burn then of course enjoy.

Bhh, bluesea and technom3 like this.
  22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    could be a while - has the 'normal' flu gone away?

bluesea likes this.
  23. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Markets imploding, car market right behind.. I think if they get a vaccine it won't be ready till end of the year to calm fear and panic.

bluesea likes this.
  24. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Co-sign

bluesea likes this.
  25. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    my father told me to "buy gold" or well he told me 3 weeks back to do so and I thought he was just silly back then, guess who's laughing now :(

bluesea likes this.