C8 CORVETTE | Page 3 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #51 Igor Ound, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  2. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I find all the criticism amusing at this point (as well as any gushing enthusiasm). None of us here have seen it in person, and none of us have driven it.

Amazing performance at the price. Not perfect.

BJK, Boomhauer and jm2 like this.
  3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I like it. I reserve some judgement until I actually drive it...but I am interested. I would like to wait for what is hopefully the next engine in a convertible. I also like that wherever i go a dealer is a 30$ uber ride away.

Boomhauer, sainthoo and BJK like this.
  4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #55 BJK, Feb 22, 2020
    Well good thing for Chevy that the vast majority of people, including the thousands who have ordered one, don't share your opinion. Not pretty, you don't like it, fine. But the ugliest car in a very very long time? You gotta
    get out more. ;)
    These guys have written a pretty unbiased review. Read the 3rd paragraph. "Man, the C8 is really pretty in person. Its styling didn't sway us initially, but our tester looks sharp...."
    https://www.motor1.com/reviews/400027/2020-chevrolet-corvette-coupe-first-drive/

AREDSTALLION, Boomhauer and sainthoo like this.
  6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Fair enough but I really don’t get it. Thought it would grow on me but did the opposite

7. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #57 BJK, Feb 22, 2020
  8. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    BJK likes this.
  9. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    Don't know your friends driving experience but the instructor at Spring Mountain said it blows away the 720 McLaren in the corners....

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Hes a well regarded racer who earns his living from the track.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Xactly

Although there was a thread here that said it was a ferrari beater for 100k. Now we have reality. Cooll car for what it is. daily driver at a reasonable cost.

BJK likes this.
  12. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    now we have 2 opinions....;)

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Lots of information but not much 'fun'. It was a lot more 'fun' watching Shmee putting on a brave face while he endured a ride back to the airport in a Ferrari 430 Challenge race car. Especially considering the Rolls Royce limo was left parked back at the house.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    read a really good article in a brit mag on the car. I’ll see if it can find it, there was good and bad. The brits tend to be more objective when it’s not a Brit car, as we can be more objective when it’s foreign stuff.

15. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    Actually I was mistaken, It wasn't the C8 we were talking about, it was the C7 Grand Sport...That was the car he said in his opinion outhandled the McLaren in the corners...

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah well I would take that info/source with a major grain of salt. The C7 is a great handler for a vette and a top contender for a Fe car, but its nowhere close to the 720 let alone the 570, in fact its not as quick through corners as even the c8. (im comparing the stock powerplants)

I think we have to face reality about the current c8 vette. Its built to a price and designed to be many things to many people. As such its too big and too heavy to be a real contender. As with vettes of yore, there will be super powerful versions that can knock of 3 laps, but thats not really a contender either.

To play with the big boys(ferrari, porche Mclaren and others) physics cannot be ignored. That means a car weighing around 3000lbs not 3600(current c8), and something really stiff so the suspension can work best. The C8 may be the stiffest vette yet, but no one is claiming class leading stiffness either. Then there are a plethora of little details which make Me cars really work particularily when at the limit or near it, so far press reports are not encouraging in this regard. Yes they can add lots of hp and lots of tire and click off some great numbers, but thats not lap sustainable performance. Thats all before I get into driving pleasure esoterica such as steering and pedal feel(which also affects ability to drive at the limit), where we already know the C8 is not class leading.

As others have said, its bang for the buck(even then it depends on how you quantify bang), going to be inexpensive to run , will have great ac, be entirely useable, and on road have more road performance than anyone can use anyway, so in that regard its a great car to just drive around in and put miles on.

If I lived in Fl or somewhere similar where the driving is mostly strips and highway the vette is an easy choice to make. At some point we will see the rumored zo6 with flat plane crank na quad cam v8. If they mange to loose 400lbs and sort out some details it may well be something, a real contender if not a class leader. It all depends on what potential was baked into this c8 and what GM will let the guys do.

As it is now, if you prioritize back road pleasure, tactility, track prowess with sustained performance and durability, seems like at 20k more a cayman Gt4 is well worth it compared to the current c8 offerings. Im not running out to buy a cayman, I want to see where the vette goes, fingers crossed, becasue if they get it right on some version, that may be truly compelling. For me the ver1.0 C8 is mildly dissapointing because it really could have been better out the gate.

Donatella likes this.
  17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I wouldn't count on much weight loss for z06. but if its a na high rpm screamer over 600 hp and under $100k I can overlook a lot of compromises. to drive around town, go to and from 6 track days 3 hrs from home, etc. that will be fine.

BJK likes this.
  18. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Not sure where you got your weight of 3600lbs, but that is not accurate.
    Chevrolet lists the C8 Corvette Stingray coupe’s curb weight at 3,366 pounds, 68 heavier than the ’18 Stingray coupe and 16 pounds lighter than the new 911 Carrera S.

greg328 likes this.
  19. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I did find that with all fluids the curb weight is 3,535 pounds, so the 3366 number is dry weight.
    For comparison, since the 720 was mentioned, the 720 has a dry weight of 3139lbs, I did not find a weight listing with all fluids for it.

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    most measured weights I have seen exceed 3600lbs wet. Leather, options etc weights

21. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Here's Shmee's second video from the track. He can't hide his enthusiasm for the car - something that seems well-deserved. Whether you enjoy watching him or not, you will like the footage of the C8 in the video.

sainthoo and BJK like this.
  22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    havent really seen him be unenthusiastic about any car so not sure that means very much. he is a pretty good driver though.

BJK likes this.
  23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    "Really good car, for the money" Thats the vette formula. I'm waiting for a great car. Maybe the z06 will be it.

BJK likes this.
  24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm still not sold (reading and watching all the videos) that Z51 and Magnaride are worth it for daily driving. Tracking -- no question. Driving back and forth to work? No.

BJK likes this.