Weight saving on 360/F430 ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Weight saving on 360/F430 ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Mar 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Here is my weight loss diary (weights indicate saving)...
    Battery replaced by Litebloxx 19xx: 20kg
    Capristo Exhaust: 11kg
    200 cell cats: 3kg
    AC Radiator was completely corroded so removed that and AC pump: 12kg
    Radio + speakers: 4kg
    Rear Challenge grill: 2kg
    Sound deadening bitumen off rear bulkhead access panel: 1kg

Total so far: 53kg (116lbs)

WIP:
    Rear bulkhead panel insulation and carpet weighs 5kg and I can replace that with alcantara: 4kg
    Tillet B1 carbon seats to replace manual leather seats: 30kg
    Engine Air-intake resonator replaced with Neoprene hose: 3kg
    Interior carpet from under seats weight 3kg per side, which I'll replace with alcantara: 5kg
    Battery tray - not looked at it but people estimate 1kg.

Sub total: 43 kg

Running total: 96kg (211 lbs)

Other area to investigate are:
    Rear lid glass - estimate 5kg
    Frunk liner - estimate 4kg

Provisional total 105kg (231lbs)

All reasonably low cost mods apart from seats which cost £2,4k, but they do give the biggest saving. Battery was biggest loss wrt cost - 20kg for £950.

remfrs, RANDY6005 and kes7u like this.
  2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The man you need to speak with regards to weight reduction is Trev360

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

im been chasing him for awhile....

4. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    I was hoping he would chime in with some pearls of wisdom.... :D

5. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    USA 360 bumpers are heaver than Euro bumpers by a lot. I used new Factory Euro CS front and rear and side skirts . CS lexan door glass and rear lexan glass. Deleting power windows and motor regulators glass over 66 pounds , using factory Challenge exhaust and deleting windshield wiper motor and wiper arms and bottle. Deleted evap and smog pump air rails cats racing battery stock battery tray using aluminum tray . Removed over 530 pounds last weight in 2620 pounds and I am sure there is some more to go

one4torque likes this.
  6. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    This was the first weight 2770 pounds at Mase Engineering , sense replaced Ti springs and other bits

7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Randy— wow! Can you feel the difference?

8. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Yes it is like driving a motorcycle car turns in quick stop very quick just take one second THINK ! Dodge Hell Cat weights in just over 4405 pounds over 700 horsepower 360 only 400 horsepower but ! Only 2652 pounds after shedding 500 plus pounds now ! Do the math

9. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Bet you I could have bought a new Hell Cat for less money than what I spent shedding 530 pounds from my 360 :confused:

AndreB, one4torque and Dewinator like this.
  10. dang2407

dang2407 Karting

Apr 29, 2017
    SW France
    Fantastic effort Randy, though I dont want to remove items like windscreen wipers and power windows. If I could replace them with lightweight items, like I did with the seats, I would.

11. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    My local gym (whilst very nice) is also very expensive at about $1400 for a years membership...
    I have an indoor bike and weight lifting machine that I bought (in total) for about $1000 and could last me a lifetime, but hitting the gym might not be quite so free in some instances.

Lightest car I owned was a second gen Lotus Elise at around 780kilos, only had 130hp tho'...

I always keep my 360 windows down, I wonder how much weight I'd save if I just took them out entirely :) ?

*edit* Come to think of it, I don't use the aircon or radio either... And soon Switzerland will cease all old style radio broadcasts (FM etc) going straight to DAB, and that stock radio will become useless :\

12. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Weighted my 99 manual. 3168lbs no driver + challenge 18s and CS exhaust and sport cats

one4torque and clean512 like this.
  13. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Full tank of gas?

14. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    50% tank

Some Guy in the sky likes this.
  15. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    You need a new gym membership then, haha. I have three separate ones that totaled up isn’t anywhere near that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. jayne simmons

jayne simmons Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2021
    we have a F430 and have removed about 150 pounds so far and estimate another 200 + is possible w/ out losing functions and creature comforts ! removing insulation and carpet etc gains SO little compared to heavier things why bother ?
    our approach is to remove / replace the heavy/heavier items first ! and some are atypical .
    this is a street car we need / want wipers , A/C etc !
    first DO fit a Antigravity lithium battery it weighs 18 pounds ! so you lose 40-50 POUNDS and the car runs better too ! ( higher resting voltage ) stock mounting hardware works fine but a few OZ could be had w/ a CF part and Ti holddown bolts , nuts
    we lost 2.5 pounds w/ custom made aluminum washers and titainium bolts for the undertray ! ( there ARE 20 of them ! )
    then we replaced many of the bolts and nuts w/ titianium ! we are going to have motor mounts and the trans mount made of titainium and aluminum a few pounds there !
    and many of the brackets inside the motor compartment can be fabbed in alum or TI several pounds there ! no need for steel brackets ! theses are NOT highly stressed parts they are holding ! we wonder WHY ferrari did not fab w/ lighter metals ? silly !
    fit aftermarket headers and catless test pipes ! whats there ? 30+ lbs + ?
    remove the tool kit, spare tire infllator ,owners manual ! ? Lbs
    we are fitting a body kit of scud style F &R light F glass bumpers, glass scud undertrays , CF front wing , rear difusser, side panels in CF so some LESS weight there ! -,20 Lbs ?
    making our own exhaust , scud style will have 4 exhaust outlets, w/ cut out style simple valves , possibly even mechanical cable operated ! 2 straight thru and two w/ some type of mufflers , possibly old school glass pack type . a loud drone whilst cruising is obnoxious annoying !
    The stock seats are 69 pound each and a LOT can be gained w/ mamual light CF seats !
    I heard you can get similar CF seats to the factory seats for MUCH less,( who makes the ferrari seats ? )
    or could buy used and get them upolstered to match
    we will start by seeing how much we can take of the stock power seats we estimate at least 20-25 pounds each and want to add a cooling function as we are in the desert . even w/ A/C you get a sweaty back, butt ! Yuck
    Wheels ,
    Finding and fitting lighter wheels can make a significant difference 20+ pounds per wheel ? and unsprung weight just fitting ti lug bolts loses 6 pounds ! ( we used acer racing )
    now we have some centerlock wheels by BBS ( the capristo type kits they made 200 sets of ) but they use adaptor hubs of steel and ADD weight !
    we will go to using the OEM challenge series centerlock hubs and knuckles
    this will restore the track too as the hub adaptors widen it 30MM F & R ! .
    making the adaptor hubs of Ti is an idea ,( VERY expensive )
    we ARE having the Capristo adaptor hub bolts of ti if anyone else would like a set ?
    w/ a spider wouldn't it be nice to have the entire top and mechanism , wires, etc under the cover secured w/ quick release fasteners and remove it for fast drives in nice cool weather ( 350 days a year of sunshine in our area ) but sometimes need the top up and A/c !

clean512 and G. Pepper like this.
  17. redhotcar

redhotcar Rookie

May 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Louis Smith
    I know this thread is a bit old, but I've just happened upon it and I love the attention to detail here. As a lotus person, I've got mad respect for the lunacy/brilliance of getting Ti under-tray fasteners and Al washers. If one takes care of the ounces, the pounds take care of themselves.

I'm wondering if I can get some input from any of the aficionados here. I've been thinking about doing a 'sharpened' 430 for a while now; not for a track-only car, though, so I wouldn't want to delete airbags/AC or have challenge car lexan windows (lexan over the engine bay as in the Scud seems fine). I did download the amazing xlsx presented on page 1, but it didn't have 430 specific info.

Is it worth it to start from a Scud, or can you achieve all the improvements the scud makes over the F430 with after market parts for less (or for greater improvement)?

Mangskoginger likes this.