550 - trim piece for row of switches | FerrariChat

550 - trim piece for row of switches

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by AVIMAX, Feb 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Has anybody replaced the trim piece behind the row of switch above the HVAC panel in a 550... without removing the dash? Mine has a crack so the fuel door switch is loose. I have a new part, but getting to the nuts through the switch holes is not so easy. If you've done it, do you have any tricks to share?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Pull out the A/C control box - it just pulls straight out. Don't need to pull the console.

I was able to get all the nuts off, but when I put the new bracket in (I got a machined one from eBay), I just couldn't get a couple of the top ones back on.

Be careful, the replacement piece I had just didn't quite fit at first. May be the reason that these break.

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    It has several threaded posts on the back with nuts

4. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    Just disconnect the switches and replace. It’s a five minute job. I’ve done it before

5. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Removing the switches and AC panel is easy. There are 6 nuts holding the trim piece in. The 3 on the top are easy, the 3 on the bottom are the problem, they are partially covered by a metal frame so you can’t get to them from the bottom, only through the holes for the switches and that leaves no room to turn the 7mm wrench.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  6. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Problem is I can only get the open end on the nut because of the metal frame just behind the nut.

7. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    I've just done the same job, it's simple if a little fiddly as the others say.

Watch out for dropping the nuts - a magnet on a stick is useful - and don't be surprised if the surround falls to bits!

Regards,
    John

Attached Files:

8. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Barry, that tool might just do the trick!

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I hope so, Ryan. If necessary, you can bayonet the shaft a bit to facilitate removal of those nuts.