TR Clutch Lifespan - How many miles? | FerrariChat

TR Clutch Lifespan - How many miles?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Feb 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Currently at 18.7k miles and the clutch pedal is releasing at the top of travel. Have not felt any slippage, but I suspect the time is near.

Any ideas what the ‘typical’ clutch mileage is on these cars? Never had a clutch expire so soon before.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'm at 85K miles. I think "how used" is going to be a huge factor in causing a wide spread of results.

3. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Mine has over 20k on it and still feels strong.

Related question— can the clutch be replaced with the engine in?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #4 Rifledriver, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    I have seen several go over 100,000. Up to you. I wear cars out around clutches. When I rebuilt my 328 motor I put the old clutch back in.

As you probably know it is a dual disc clutch. The clutch pack has shims to establish the correct clamping pressure.It can be reshimmed to compensate for wear and get much more life out of it. The pedal goes way up and it loses clamping pressure and slips even though there is a good deal of disc material left. If you get there before it starts slipping and destroys the discs it can be reshimmed. There is even a formula in the shop manual. When I do them I tend to just adjust the shims so the fingers of the diaphragm spring are slightly convex for good geometry. If it is adjusted too flat the spring goes over center and at high RPM shift with the centrifugal force on the clutch spring it will not re engage. The shims are 8mm ID so various thickness washers can serve as shims or sometimes it needs no shims depending on wear of the discs.

If you have Ben do it he and I have known each other a long time. I'll be happy to to talk to him about it.

Gary Sandberg and vincenzo like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very easily should you need to.

Gary Sandberg, V4NG0 and turbo-joe like this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    yes, without any problem. one of the easier jobs on a TR

Gary Sandberg and V4NG0 like this.
  7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks Brian... I already have a clutch kit that I have literally had for years. When I pull it apart and inspect, I may very well ask for help on shimming. Thanks!

All those high mile clutches! Any other issues that cause engagement at the top of the pedal? Like I say, it does not slip... but it engages so high it is surprising to me that it doesn’t slip.

Vinny - I found this on an F-Chat search... nice pdf... not mine:
    https://www.docdroid.net/file/download/o6XkKqv/ferrari-testarossa-1987.pdf

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    No. TR clutches were a problem. They lack any feel. It isn't uncommon to hear one moving off and hear the RPM go up rather quickly then the driver lets the clutch out to accelerate the car to the engine speed. It is hard not to do. Me, I hate buying clutches and am not afraid to maybe be a little too abrupt in letting it out. I tell people new to TR's to not use it subconsciously even if you have driven a stick your whole life. Make it a conscious operation, pay attention to it. Unless on a hill I don't even use throttle until the clutch is all or mostly out.

In my opinion one of the biggest improvements in the 512TR was the clutch. It had a big single plate clutch and had terrific feel. It is also a lot cheaper. I am pretty sure Hill Engineering is making a conversion kit to put them in TR's.

9. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Thanks guys for confirming. I had an issue a while back that I thought was clutch related, but turned out not to be. The point is, I read somewhere during troubleshooting research that the engine came out for clutch replacement. I’m glad to know from good authority that it is not the case!

10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That Hill Engineering single plate clutch kit looks AWESOME! Makes me not even care when my clutch will eventually go out, it will become a major upgrade.

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I had to change mine at <10,000 miles. One plate was perfect, the other worn down to the rivers. It sat around for years which I’m sure contributed to the problem. Theory is that will little use, the spline gets rusty/sticky and does not enable both plates to wear evenly. IDK.

Gary Sandberg, turbo-joe and vincenzo like this.
  12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #13 vincenzo, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020

Attached Files:

13. campbell360

campbell360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I have this conversion kit sitting in my office at the moment. I am doing a 30K/clutch conversion on my 1989 TR in a couple weeks. I will report back on what feels different etc.

vincenzo likes this.
  14. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

I replaced mine at 17,500 km (10,900 miles) - very badly mistreated by someone in the past. Why it was not looked at during the major engine-out, I don't know as I didn't own the car at the time. Perhaps cost was an issue. Maybe why I got such a good deal.

I agree, these cars do not like to sit. And again, there is no warning about slippage.

However, since I did the clutch, I have put on almost 2000 km with no issues and the more I drive the car, the better it gets.

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I put well over 100K on my 512 TR clutch with no issues
    when I did the major I had to replace the flywheel and throw out bearing
    I replaced the clutch then ( still have it, although the fingers are iffy)
    if you know how to use a clutch it will last a very long time
    I had a 308 QV with over 140 k on it
    never replaced the clutch

16. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero