308 numbers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 numbers

Discussion in '308/328' started by Hotzos, Feb 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    sometimes rare doesn't mean automatically desired: Mondial 8 and Dino 208 GT4 are rare, but not so much desired. This said, if you like prugna color, go for it: but maybe better forgetting about the rare issue and consider its value as every other common color, as that prugna (very likely) won't add much to car value.

Then I have to say that a well kept or well restored 308 looks great in every color, prugna included.

ciao

robbie308 likes this.
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Interesting article, but unfortunately: "sorry, wrong numbers". The usual errors about:
    - the production numbers of Vetroresinas: the true figure is 808, not 712 (the history of the confusion is well known: respected historian Gerald Roush wrote an article saying that the figure guiven by the factory of 808 was wrong, and that he calculated the totals and found only 712; unfortunately, he made a confusion regrding the total of RHD cars, confusion that he confessed and corrected, but the harm was done and remain to this day)
    - the weight of the Vetroresina which is not "250 lbs" less than the steel cars, but only "50 lbs" less. Even the factory knows this, and knew it from the start, as the offcial homologation document of the car with the italian Ministry of transportation in 1975 quotes the actual and correct weight at 1245 kilos.

Rgds

Albert-LP likes this.
  3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    That's correct: not even the entire iron body weights 250 lbs… and fiberglass is not made by air… :D

The 308 GTB has aluminum and glass parts also on the cars with steel body...

Weight difference between glass and steel body GTB is more or less 20 kg

This is called "repeating wrong news without knowing anything" (in one word: stupid).

ciao

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    According to Ferrari of South Bay between 83 and 85 only 38 GTB QVs were produced for the US market. According to another source I have, 29 were produced in 85 alone. I personally have trouble reconciling those tow number. Doesn't make sense for only 9 to be produced for 83 and 84.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The topic of the US GTBs QVs is a well known difficult matter (there are others). As cross-checking the figures is almost impossible, we will probably never know for sure.

Rgds

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Agreed. All I really know is that I bought one in 85 and I'm not letting it go any time soon. :)

7. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Done. Check in 5 minutes.

8. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
  9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    A friend who was a general manager at a major US dealer in the 308 period told me about his philosophy of ordering inventory cars. He ordered red/tan or red/black. Most clients who wanted another color would settle for the standard red. If he had a client that was adamant about a different color he could trade a red car with another dealer because that dealer knew that they could always sell a red car. But, the opposite was not true, a dealer trying to have a red car had great difficulty trading out their off color car. My friend went on to say that back then Ferrari North America would sometimes include an unordered off color car in their shipment to the dealer.

Do remember that this was during the Magnum PI period. Pre that TV show there had been more assortment of Ferraris being bought but with that show so many of the buyers wanted to be Tom Sellack.

There are rarer colors than Prugna. The greens and gold are seen even less often.

Owner of Prugna/crema 54573. When I was looking to acquire a 308 QV only an off color was desired and any rosso corsa would not even be considered.

Albert-LP likes this.
  10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Here’s a question, instead of trying to figure out how many 308 were built in ten year, how many in certain colors, how many Euro vs US, how many made in LHD vs RHD, etc... The question I like to ask is how many were wrecked, burned, gutted out for parts, or just out of commission? I think this will roughly give us an idea how many are left out there, anyway it’s just a thought.

Albert-LP likes this.
  11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The million dollar question, dear Mike...attrition is the unknown factor: nobody knows, except that some of the lot were driven hard, or carelessly, and died of their nice death ("elles sont mortes de leur belle mort" as the saying goes in French...)
    Rgds

12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #37 308 milano, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    I proposed starting a thread about this couple of years ago and was shouted down as being Morbid/ disrespectful. Personally I think Everyone would be interested but should have a few set ground rules. Such as Actual Vin number for one.

miketuason likes this.
  13. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We've got a few dead Euro QVs identified in https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/euro-qvs-in-north-america.433007/

Albert-LP likes this.
  14. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    I’ve got one

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey, myronx19 and GordonC like this.
  15. Hotzos