458 Italia or Spider??? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

458 Italia or Spider???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pninja005, Feb 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login This is a tough choice because I’m addicted to the coupe look and that damn glass engine bay. I wish at least the spider let you see the engine block, but it’s still hidden. I’m afraid if I drive the spider I may like it and then I’ll be more mad. Does it matter that I already have another convertible? Are all the owners that love spiders saying that because it’s their only top down car?

Love that engine.

2. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    I dont have time to read all the previous posts but here is my experience. I drove a spider with sport seats locally then tried my buddy's italia right after. To me there was no question after that and i went with a spider. The difference in sound is noticeable and i didnt care about not seeing the engine. I guess we noticed some flex in the body going over a bump in the spider but we were like: "Is that it? Really? Thats what people are complaining about?" The flex may be different from one model to the next. I got a 2015 spider and its just awesome. Ive found that the rear styling lines actual appeal to me more than an italia. Agree with racing seats mostly because they just look really cool with the top off. To me this car was not about track times or competition but just the joy of driving, so i felt the spider was a better approach to that. Alot of people think of having the top down to let sun in, try driving through downtown during a warm night.

Test both and see what you like. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G975U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Oh my goodness a warm night, stars in the sky just magical.... damn winter, let me go for a drive!!

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Engine louvers on the spider are drop dead stunning. I didnt miss seeing the engine either. been there.

5. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I agree with this. There is some flex but I am fine with it. One huge advantage - On the Spider when the top is up you can put the rear window down and then you can hear the engine/exhaust nearly as well as you could with the top down. That is not an option on the Italia. I normally always prefer a coupe to a Spider but with the 458 I definitely prefer the Spider. I could care less if it has a little more body roll or is not as composed as the Italia over bumps.

Viper830tt likes this.
  6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not sure how many different ways people can say "it's whatever you prefer". There are different reasons for people to like/dislike each. Some things are important to some (like a solid chassis for me), and other things are important to others (like wind in the hair). Neither person can be satisfied with the wrong car, and neither person is wrong. Everyone needs to test drive, and pick the car they fall in love with. there is no logic in buying a Ferrari, it's just emotion. They are not "cheap", so one needs to be happy with what they choose. Both are great for their intended purposes. No need to compare.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  7. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Might also be worth mentioning that I live in a state with alot of straight roads. If I drove more along the California coast, a rigid coupe may be more appealing. I gave the 488 spider a thought but didnt like the sound, didnt want to pay that much more, and didnt need the extra power.

I forgot to mention that back window. It's awesome.

up4speed likes this.
  8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good points, and I agree on the lackluster sound (in comparison to 458) of the 488.
    If the owner lives in a place with perfectly smooth roads, the chassis won't make as big of a difference. It won't be as obvious that it is not as stiff.
    Also if you drive on long straight roads vs. tight, aggressive and twisty roads, or rough roads, then the difference will show.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.