Anyone else have an aftermarket stereo with amp(s)? | FerrariChat

Anyone else have an aftermarket stereo with amp(s)?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by niftyfivefifty, Feb 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    #1 niftyfivefifty, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    I know, I know, it’s complete sacrilege to even play music while driving one of these divine V12 musical instruments. However, I love music, especially on longer trips, and I love nice audio gear, even if I can’t always hear it with the windows down and above 4000rpm. My 550 came with a big trade show system (possibly early 2000s CES) that I have been slowly dismantling (if someone offers you a show car, ask for a steep discount). As I have been correcting many of the install faux pas, one thing I have noticed is how the 4ga. 12v wire feeding the amps in the trunk is sourced from the main bus bar in the electronics area in the right passenger footwell (part #6 on this diagram) instead of getting its own dedicated feed from the battery. This bus bar is also what feeds the fuse/relay board, which feeds all electronics components of the car, including both ECUs.

Last year I lost my right ECU to a toasted power supply and some failed caps. When Specialized ECU Repair fixed it, they said it was something these Bosch ECUs are known to do with age. Fast forward to last night, it was the first time I had powered the stereo since the failure last year because I was afraid it would happen again. And the fear was probably real, because I am 99% sure I lost the left ECU last night after a very spirited 90 minute cruise while blasting my favorite driving tunes. This morning the car would not allow me to lock it after unlocking it to retrieve something, and now I am getting wild errors like empty gas tank (it’s over half full), suspension fault, FCS fault, a P0103 code (MAF signal error which can signify an ECU failure), and a P0600 code which is a can bus connection error=both ECUs are unable to talk, and the engine sputters and dies when starting (same error as last year). Additionally, the information LED square in the instrument panel is flickering, even when not cranking. After poking around it today and giving it some deep thought, I am thinking this stereo configuration may be to blame because it is pulling power from a source that was not designed to support the additional load, potentially causing a voltage drop outside of the ECU power supply’s minimum safe operating range, and frying it. Sadly I cannot prove this theory with a voltmeter because the car won’t stay running for more than a few seconds. But I want to figure this out because these $1000 ECU repairs are starting to add up, and I would be happier putting the money in the rear tire fund instead.

So for those of you with amps installed in your cars, are they being fed directly from the battery? Anyone with a separate battery and isolator? I might go that route for ultimate peace of mind, assuming the voltage starvation theory is right. Thanks!

Qavion likes this.
  2. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    niftyfivefifty likes this.
  3. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Thanks! Cool looking amp, what brand is that?

4. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    AUDISON_Prima_AP4_9_bit_ mounted on a 1/4 inch thick black plexiglass so bottom of amp was not against carpet

5. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Nice! How do you like it?

And one more quick question, where is your power wire routed through the firewall?

6. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    #6 stevepaa, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    I also refitted original exhaust setup. When I did the amp I replaced the speakers with Audisons, so I can now hear crystal clear music. I would like to find a speaker for the rear with some bass to it, but not sure there are any that small.
    I will post when I get home how I routed the wire.

7. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Awesome, thank you.

If you don’t need tweeters, these are worth a try using 5x7 to 6 1/2” adapters:

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w6-1139sif-6-1-2-paper-cone-subwoofer-speaker--264-919

I have the 12” version of this woofer in my office, and it sounds incredible (I actually prefer it over the massive servo Rythmik FV-15HP in our HT system). Apparently the balanced drive motor is ahead of its time, similar to what XBL and XBL^2 did for the industry 10 and 20 years ago:
    https://www.parts-express.com/wavecor-sw168wa01-6-1-2-balanced-drive-paper-cone-subwoofer-4-ohm--298-1052

There are a few high end car woofers from Focal and others, but they are 5-10x the price for similar performance. Hope this helps.

8. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    And I just looked up your amp, very cool that it has a built in DSP and accepts an optical input. Nice small dimensions too.

9. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    I tired to fit Focal in the back but they are too deep to fit.
    There is a pass through in the firewall behind the battery.

10. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Not on my Maranello, but I did a new custom system on my E-Type. We did a Direct Feed to the battery with an ignition switch relay. No issues on the Etype...hope it helps.

F456M and niftyfivefifty like this.
  11. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Awesome, thank you! Is it an OEM pass through, or was it added for the install?

Bummer, I did not realize how shallow the rears are from the factory. Do you remember what the actual depth is?

My rear shelf was modified by the original installers so that those holes are open to the trunk to hear the subwoofer more clearly, so they created infinite depth, but it probably took some permanent changes to make it work.

12. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    There is a bunch of cables in a pass through behind the battery , just need to add your power wire.

Maybe 55 mm

13. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Awesome, that is great to hear. Thank you!

14. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    take some pics of your setup to show what they did. thanks

15. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    F456M likes this.
  16. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    what did they do to the rear shelf?
    I think going to battery with inline fuse is best. The guy who sold me the amp and speakers told me how to do it correctly and "gave" me the needed wiring.

17. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Yeah I’ve been installing stuff for 20 years and I have never seen someone do this. I should have caught it when I replaced the relays on the fuse board, but I was new to the car and thought the bus bar was aftermarket. It was sometimes dropping voltage to 9v, really low. ECU Doctors started testing the ECUs today so we will know very soon if my theory is correct. NVX just released a new micro processor controlled battery isolator that allows a second battery to charge from the alternator, but then cuts it off if the car’s voltage drops below 12.7v. I purchased a Stinger PCC680 battery to mount in the trunk to take as much load off of the car electronics as possible, and enough OFC 4ga. wire to go directly to the battery. Hopefully these solutions will prevent any issues again in the future. Thanks again for your help.

I’ll take pictures of the rear shelf tomorrow.

F456M likes this.
  18. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
  19. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Is this possible on a 550 as well? Btw Mike I’m still enjoying the 430 equipment you sold me.

Stan

20. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If the 550 has the "hi-fi" option, absolutely. Basically any model that uses the OEM booster. Even the Maseratis (Cambio Corsa, Gran Turismo, etc.).

21. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I don’t think there was a “hifi’ option on the 550 just a cd changer option?

22. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    gabf1 that is a killer setup! Great gear choices, love it.

gabf1 likes this.
  23. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Thanks. It was a labor of love and I’m glad I did it for the experience.