Vintage Guitars | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Vintage Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by thecarreaper, Dec 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Rare / low production guitars are holding firm, but not sure they are going up much anymore. I just sold an James Olson 12 String I bought 4 years ago, and made $750 on the sale. Broker I bought it from was selling it to another client. There were only 11 of them built, and it brought $16k. New in 2005 it was probably $8-10k.

The above $5k range takes longer to sell.

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  3. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I sold my last James Olson Small Jumbo guitar last year, and even though I'm not playing as much at 71 as I used to, I just couldn't quit looking for another.

Was able to buy a 1995 Olson SJ that is fairly basic, without a lot of the bling that runs up the prices. Plays and sounds as good as the others I have owned in the past. Such a long bell like sustain. It's a true finger picker's guitar, but hold up to my flat picking as well.

If you ever want to buy a good one, Dream Guitars out of North Carolina are the largest sellers of Olson guitars out there. I ordered it on a Monday, and they overnighted it to me to help beat the Dallas heat right now.

Here she is.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JazzyO, TexasF355F1 and G. Pepper like this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I had forgotten about this thread until I was notified of the previous post.

I found a Gittler 2 in Europe at Yeah Man, which sits beside my '84 Steinberger GL2T.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gittler_guitar
    When I was at the Guitar Institute SW a guy had an original. Now basically priceless. Wanted
    one ever since. Got this one back in 2020. It's a second generation example made in Israel.

5. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
  6. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    DIGMAN52 likes this.
  7. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Absolutely gorgeous. I bet it sounds stunning as well, almost 30 years old.

Onno

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  8. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #484 Beta Scorpion, Sep 1, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    Very nice!

A previous owner had already removed the original 1970s saddles from my guitar so I went ahead and installed 1960s saddles like the original Hendrix guitar.
    Thought, if I did have the original saddles, I'd probably have left them in place like yours.

JazzyO and G. Pepper like this.
  9. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I had the third MESA/Boogie amp in San Antonio back in 1977. The three of us discovered M/B's through Carlos Santana and ordered them at the same time. Jim got the first one, Elmo got the second, and I got the third. I've had over a dozen Boogies since then.

JazzyO likes this.
  10. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Cool story G. Pepper! And I love a good Deluxe Reverb.

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The original Boogies were hotrod Fender Princeton amps. Most have forgotten this. :)

JazzyO likes this.
  12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I do have a Princeton and a Mesa Lone Star Special. Love them both. I am, however, totally smitten by my Two Rock Traditional Clean 40W combo. My method for guitar tones is to use my TR TC to provide the platform and use pedals (Gladio, Carl Martin, etc) to add the basic amp universe (Dumble, Marshall, AC, etc), and then Klon, TS, Bluesbreaker etc for the overdrive.

I find this to work best at home. Cranking tube amps is fallacy, even though I have a luxury set up with the neighbours 50m away and the walls being up to 3 ft thick (I live in an old manor house/chateaux). So a good clean platform (and the Two Rock is to die for) at reasonable output (about 95 dB) and then you work your guitar volume into the pedals to basically operate it as people used to do 50 years ago. I am happy with this approach, although it will never be a cranked Marshall substitute of course. But the tones are pretty darn good and organic.

G. Pepper likes this.
  13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cool guitars boys.

14. Aquenture_

Aquenture_ Rookie

Oct 18, 2023
    valencia
    Full Name:
    Timur Asmahiel
    Hey everyone, hope you are well. I'm really interested in high-end guitars, collectibles like our beautiful cars....But it seems I'm a bit late to the party! Can you show me your most expensive and high end items?!

15. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #491 peterp, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    My son has had a Mesa Lonestar Special for about a decade. It sounds amazing, especially for clean jazz tones. We have not found it to be that robust though (had to go into service a few times to have some circuit boards replaced), it's also very heavy, and don't like that tube bias isn't adjustable (so you need to be careful on tube selection). Excellent amp, but between the weight and fragility (in our case), it no longer gets get played out.

We will probably replace it with a vintage Princeton Reverb (lighter, hand-wired robustness, etc). A couple of months ago they they happened to have a vintage Princeton Reverb for sale when we stopped by a local Sam Ash. He played it for a long time and it sounded great. Not as good for jazz tones as the LSS, but excellent as an overall amp, and much easier to carry around.

Sam Ash also had a vintage PolyTone for sale. We've been wanting to play on a Polytone for a decade because we knew it to be the solid state amp George Benson used on Breezin', but never had the chance to. Plugged it in and (despite not being the exact same model) it was pretty much instant George Benson tone. We're a fan of George's music, but not necessarily his tone (it sounds solid state), so we weren't inclined to buy it -- but very cool to play around with.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Lots of Polytone players among the straight ahead jazz guys back in the day. The tone was good enough and they were not heavy, like tube amps can be. I had a Boogie with a separate head and 1 12 cab because the weight was such a pain.

peterp likes this.
  17. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #493 peterp, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    We've found that inexpensive solid state Roland Cubes that makes surprisingly good jazz tones among solid state (close to tube like), though they aren't good for distortion. He uses a 10-year-old Roland cube to play out for jazz.

Seems like Polytone wanted a different edgier electronic sound rather than trying to match tube clarity.

G. Pepper likes this.
  18. kestrou

kestrou Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2023
    Danville, IL
    Full Name:
    Kevin E. Stroud
    I don't really "specialize" in vintage guitars - but have nearly 100 total and a few vintage have slipped in.

My favorite that fits that description is my 68 Tele - which was mutilated sometime between "birth" and when I acquired it in 78...

Somewhere in that 10 year span, it had been CRUDELY changed to left-hand (additional cut-out with a band saw and body routed to move the controls).

Since it was already hacked up - and I was a YUGE fan of Steve Morse and his mutilated Tele (the reason I bought this one) - I went ahead and routed it for two DiMarzio humbuckers. This was in the time before "high output" pickups - but since I had the bridge humbucker so far from the bridge there was a lot more "string travel" than expected and it WAS a high output pickup before it's time! :)

Of course this guitar went out of favor in my stable for a few decades, but it's been my favorite gigging guitar for about the last 10 years as when I whip this battle-scarred axe out, everybody knows I mean business when it's time to play "Smoking Whiskey and Drinking Cocaine"!!! :D

Kevin

NbyNW, 71Vette and G. Pepper like this.
  19. ElvisNasty

ElvisNasty Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Elvis Jenkins Nasty