Fake tool kits. Beware. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fake tool kits. Beware.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PAUL BABER, Nov 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
  2. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    This kit on Bring A Trailer certainly has the appearance of an original item. The scratch marks on the Riganti jack are certainly different to the fakes I’ve physically viewed. It’s so difficult to tell from photographs. The interior of the bag flap definitely looks dubious though. You need to hold a genuine Beta wrench in one hand and a fake in the other ... the fakes weigh half as much. The lead mallet is obviously not original but that can be excused in an original kit as if used regularly they completely lose their shape.
    These wretched fakers really annoy me as they cast doubt on every kit advertised. The only answer is not to buy until you have seen the kit and compared to the real thing.
    I will post a photo I have of a 99% genuine kit that I have just sold. Hope it helps.

SCantera likes this.
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
  4. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Haha the $3k bid is mine!

pilotoCS and 375+ like this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Good luck

6. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    This kit is 99% genuine original. The mallet was purchased circa 1999 and I suspect a copy. However it’s a perfect one. The hub puller is not period. In the early 2000’s both 250 & 275 hub pullers were manufactured in Australia. They are beautifully made and identical in size and weight to the real item. They were always marketed as replacements. See the material of the bag and it’s leather straps. Then compare to the fakes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Having difficulty uploading photos from my phone

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
  9. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    AtSomePoint and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Love this stuff

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    for what you use tool no. 9?
    looks like a puller

bid is now 4.000 - but not from me

12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    It's a rear hub puller. I have had to use it twice on 2 different GTCs. For whatever reason the outside wheel bearing is subject to wearing out on the model. Not sure if it happens to others. A deep-sounding grinding noise slowly becomes noticeable. The noise stops when you apply the brakes. Having this tool is important!!!!

turbo-joe likes this.
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so this tool then is more for a mechanic/technician than for the "normal" driver

14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    That depends on who is the "normal" driver.

My first use of the tool was on GTC 10857. That 330 was my only car at the time [1979]. I didn't have the coin to hand it off to a dealer or shop to fix it. I just used the jack kit and put a stand under the frame and did it myself. It's really not that difficult. But not having a lot of mechanic's hands on experience it probably took me 3x the hours to fix that a skilled tech would take. But that's pretty much the norm for me as I think I can fix anything [dangerous I know]. Most the time I don't make it worse!

The second instance happened with my current GTC 9593. Remembering the noise from 39 years before when I heard that ugly grinding sound I knew what it was. However this time I had a real full-time job where I could pay my favorite shop to do the dirty.

Both times I would consider myself to be a normal driver....lol. As I get closer to full-time retirement I would have the time to use it again. Sure hope I don't have to!

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Where is the proper storage position for the hub puller? Is it supposed to be stored in two pieces or one? Thanks in advance.

john

16. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    This kit Is almost original. The lead mallet was purchased in the late 1990’s and is as close to the real thing as you will find. The hub puller also is a copy. In that period these hub pullers were being openly manufactured in Australia and are PERFECT copies. View the width of the interior tool straps and the colour. See the material of the bag. This is what a genuine kit should be.
    Hi John.
    I don’t think there is a ‘proper’ storage position for the hub puller. The size and shape of the cylindrical part necessitates it has to go into the jack pouch but I’ve seen the bar strapped with the tools and also loose with the jack. The factory diagram above doesn’t show.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferraridoc likes this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    most of my "normal driver" customers with a F are only driving and fillng up fuel. some may check the oillevel an dthe tire pressure, but that is all.

never have seen this pulle in real. so I think one side then has a left thread and the other a right thread so you may use it for both sides of the car?

you say before it is a rear hub puller. but I think you also can use it at the front? same thread

18. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    In the early 2000’s both 250 & 275 hub pullers were manufactured in Australia. They are beautifully made and identical in size and weight to the real item. They were always marketed as replacements.

Thats me
    only a few

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The 330 GTC and 365 2+2 factory parts manuals describe it as estrattore mozzi anteriore (front) and show a separate puller for the rear. Manuals for earlier models illustrate only one version(cylindrical).

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    where is the difference?

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  22. Edward 96GTS