2020 Barcelona Testng: Feb. 19th - 21st & Feb. 26th - 28th | Page 19 | FerrariChat

2020 Barcelona Testng: Feb. 19th - 21st & Feb. 26th - 28th

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Yes, but he screwed it again at Silverstone, and Russia, and Brazil, and...

DGPF likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Ferrari has discovered the cause of its engine failure in Formula 1's first test in Barcelona last week and it says the problem is "not a cause for concern."

Sebastian Vettel stopped on track on Friday morning, costing Ferrari valuable track time while the SF1000's power unit was replaced.

Vettel's damaged unit was then returned to Maranello, where it was discovered that the problem was caused by a "non structural" problem with the lubrication system.

The team noted: "The unit which had the problem last Friday has been stripped and checked in Maranello.

"The fault was traced to a non-structural problem with the lubrication system.

"It's not a cause for concern and work to correct it is already underway."

Ferrari was only eighth in the tally of laps completed in the first test, with its 354 tours some 140 fewer than Mercedes, while Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto suggested that "the others are faster than us at the moment", with Vettel and Charles Leclerc down in 14th and 16th places in the combined times.

Leclerc explained after the first day that Ferrari had adopted a different strategy to 2019 when it topped the times in the first test, and the team statement added that Ferrari "will start working on performance, while carrying out qualifying and race simulations" in this week's second three day test.

Autosport understands that the team will run revised front and rear wings and engine cover this week.

Vettel, who will start the second test on Wednesday morning and have the SF100 to himself on Thursday while Leclerc takes over on Wednesday afternoon and the final day on Friday, insisted last week that stretching the legs of the latest power unit was "not on the agenda" at the first test.

"I think right now the target is not to prove the maximum power of the engine, the target is to do as many laps as possible," he said.

"Obviously, we've done a lot in terms of mileage on the benches to make sure the car is reliable.

"Ramping up the engine and so on, it's probably not something you want to do in testing and certainly not to show everyone, so it's not on the agenda as far as I know."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148410/ferrari-identifies-cause-of-testing-engine-failure

3. DF1

Video of the new Mercedes features -

DGPF likes this.
  4. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    One would hope that the engineers at Ferrari have the same attitude.

DGPF likes this.
  5. DF1

I like the engagement Mercedes provides to F1 fans. We can hope Ferrari are innovating and do well this year!

DGPF, william, ktu and 1 other person like this.
  6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +27

While the dominance of MB is boring, you have to applaud them for what they are contributing to the sport. Including engine delivery to other teams.

DGPF, Isobel, william and 1 other person like this.
  7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    love this; in other words “ your all a bunch of suckers if you thought a trick steering system, that could have been banned, was all we brought to the game this year. So here, let me show you the stuff you will eventually spot anyway”. LOL

I wonder where Ferrari’s release is; or did I miss something? As said above; good fan engagement, full marks.

On trick steering, I wonder whether you could get a similar affect with something like eliptical ball joints or something like that!?

DGPF likes this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Technical excellence and team efficiency are never boring to me.

Mercedes has set new standards in F1.

DGPF, VPX, mdrums and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Looking like they decided to just polish last years car so far...

10. DF1

Test 2 will show what teams have. So that is the theory lol :)

11. DF1

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You are kidding, right?
    a) When Williams had a half decent car, whenever it challenged Mercedes Williams wasn't authorized to use certain engine maps
    b) Mclaren was not allowed certain engine maps
    c) Mercedes refused to deliver an engine to Red Bull

stavura, Giallo 550, furoni and 2 others like this.
  13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Selling engines is not a great business anymore since they capped the cost, but you can bet that Mercedes or anyone doesn´t sell them for the good of the sport: they just want some revenue from their investment and political influence.

BTW, I´ve just read that Renault has protested Stroll´s pink Mercedes. Although I suppose that the protest won´t go too far as both bodyworks would need to be identical or they´d have to proove that Mercedes sent them the blueprints to make a very close copy.

ricksb likes this.
  14. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Yes....bit of a rollercoaster !

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sauber got Ferrari's engine from the previous year. This is just par for the course.

DGPF and william like this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  17. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Did our guys make out of Northern Italy before quarantine was enforced?

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    So erm, Mercedes nor Ferrari is offering anything more than a engine deal. Lets not give fake praise where it isn't due.

19. DF1

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    How do they know they we’re running lower levels?

21. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Consistently running 20 kph+ slower down the straights.

22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Exactly. I’m so tired of Mercedes SOP. I’m so tired of the favoritism to Mercedes being so obvious. At least try to hide it.

stavura and Igor Ound like this.
  23. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    And we are up and running for test 2. Living the all day live coverage on sky! :)

24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales