ZF S5 17 GEARBOX QUESTIONS | FerrariChat

ZF S5 17 GEARBOX QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by RTR, Mar 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RTR

RTR Rookie

Mar 5, 2016
    uk
    Full Name:
    brendan
    Hi a question in regards to an zf transmission that was fitted to the alvis td21 series 2 dhc. The gear box is a zf s5 17 .

my question is are they the same as the maserati zf s5 17. what differences where there if any . can the box be fitted to an maserati 3500gt ?

if so what is needed.

Thanks & Best Regards

2. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Many of the 3500GT came with the ZF 5-17 after about 1961, so yes they will fit with no alteration

3. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    RTR, my guess is that there are some differences in the Alvis S5-17 and the one for the Maserati 3500GT. I have a ZF Parts Manual for the 3500GT and it has the number S5-17-2 on the cover,which indicates that it refers specifically to the Maserati application. I would guess that the one for the Alvis would have a different dash number.
    Typically the difference would be the length or number of splines on the input shaft or the configuration of the output flange. Both of these variations could be overcome by modifying the bell housing, using a different clutch disc or altering the driveshaft coupling.
    Since the Maserati gear boxes are quite rare and extremely expensive, it probably would be worth considering using one for the Alvis and adapting it.
    Good luck with your project.
    Larry

4. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    I imagine you are asking because you have a Maserati 3500 and are seeking a trans? Are you able to provide photos of the Alvis transmission? Also if you can get the gear ratios off the Alvis trans that would be important. There should/could be a small aluminum tag attached to the side of the transmission with that info stamped into it. While the case may be the same (may!) the gear ratios may be completely different.

5. RTR

RTR Rookie

Mar 5, 2016
    uk
    Full Name:
    brendan
    #5 RTR, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The reasons for the question is that i own an alvis transmission of which is a zf transmission.

I am selling this transmission but was curious to no if it would fit a 3500gt as i have had some interest. but the interested party is reluctant to buy due to alteration. if any major ones should need doing.

Thanks for all the reply;s.

the add is below with some pictures to view and the casing doesn't have a plaque as such it has casing number embossed on the case. casing number in pictures .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. RTR

RTR Rookie

Mar 5, 2016
    uk
    Full Name:
    brendan
  7. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    That casting number is the same as the one on my 3500GT transmission, however the bellhousing is much different and perhaps the input shaft is also different

8. RTR

RTR Rookie

Mar 5, 2016
    uk
    Full Name:
    brendan
    Thanks for that so the transmission is the right match

the input shaft ? do you mean the shaft to the prop-shaft or the engine/clutch engage shaft

if it is the input shaft ie the clutch side how many splines do they normally have on the 3500gt

Thanks

9. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    Yes the input shaft is the one the clutch goes on. Mine has 10 splines

10. RTR

RTR Rookie

Mar 5, 2016
    uk
    Full Name:
    brendan
    yes mine has ten splines i dont think they did different gearbox shafts. the out put flange to the prop shaft may be different but can be changed very easily.

Thanks

11. marcflorie

marcflorie Rookie

Jul 10, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marc Florie
    Maserati used different ratios, as can be seen in the manual 'S5-17-2' Larry refers to. Maseati already did this in the 4-speed S4-17 and the different ratios for 1-4th gear were continued in the 5-speed.
    Bear in mind: other applications for the S4-17 and S5-17 were for BMW 502/507 and the Alvis TD/TE. All of these lack at least 100 hp when compared to the 3500GT!

Unfortunately the alumium tag with ratios that Jonack refers to, was not used by ZF on these early boxes (the later S5-20 and S5-325 etc. had).

Maserati ratios for ZF S4-17/S5-17 (as in MUM for Maserati):
    1: 3.02 2: 1.85 3: 1.29 4: 1.0 5: 0.842 R: 3.17 Speedo: 1.77
    Original ratios for ZF S4-17/S5-17 (as seen on ZF leaflets of that era):
    1: 3.71 2: 2.27 3: 1.49 4: 1.0 5: 0.842 R: 3.49 Speedo: 1.6

Note: the difference on the 1st gear means the engine has 23% higher revs in that gear!

I found no documentation on Alvis using the original ratios above, but was told by an expert on both Maserati and Alvis from the UK (who makes a lot of beautiful parts for our lovely cars, you might know who I mean) from his personal experience.

The referred manuals can be found here:
    - MUM for Maserati, The Car Nut - Maserati Manuals and Brochures
    - ZF leaflets of that era, https://www.zf.com/corporate/media/zf_media_import/document/corporate_2/company_4/tradition_3/service/historische_datenbl_tter/4-gang-synchron/D-Synchroma-Getriebe_S4-17.pdf

12. RTR

RTR Rookie

Mar 5, 2016
    uk
    Full Name:
    brendan
    Hi .

This answers everything we needed to no marc. so one would have to change first and forth to match the exact ratio of the maserati variation of the zf s5 17 and the output shaft looks like its more of a hassle for a maserati owner to use this transmission. Thanks for your help marc

13. Tigras

Tigras Rookie

Jun 22, 2019
    Poland
    Full Name:
    Tigras
    Hello. Does somebody could clearly confirm that the ZF S5-17 gearbox from Sebring 1 have synchronized reverse gear?

14. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    The ZF S5-17 in my 3500 has syncro on reverse. I would imagine that this would carry over to the Sebring as well.

RF.

15. Tigras

Tigras Rookie

Jun 22, 2019
    Poland
    Full Name:
    Tigras
    Thanks for answer. It's look like that someone lost a few parts from my gearbox. :(