'89 328 intake to airbox hose...RifleD? | FerrariChat

'89 328 intake to airbox hose...RifleD?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Feb 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Was wondering what RifleDriver recommends for the intake-to-airbox hose on the '89 328. The foam in my original hose deteriorated some years ago and I used a piece of black clothes dryer hose in it's stead. It works fine, of course, but it doesn't look all that great!

So I'm curious, RD,, what do you typically use to replace the original foam-covered hose when folks bring their '89's to you for service?

sherrillt and Rosey like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Same as you. A friend in Florida makes a beautiful concours correct replacement but it is very expensive and for normal use few find the expense worth it. I typically install Dayco wire reinforced plastic duct hose. Its black and not too noticeable. It fits great and can be removed and reinstalled without damage unlike the foam covered hose.

Ferrari was fighting increasingly rigid noise regulations in Sweden and Switzerland and to a lesser degree the USA. Thats why the hose change.

3. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I used a piece of flexible air duct that I carefully wrapped with a sheet of Sticky backed Armaflex. Join at the bottom, so it can’t be seen.
    Same with the oil cooler duct.
    Not perfect, but much better than what was on there.

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I thought about trying to find the hard parts that the pre-89 used but then decided it was a waste of money. It doesn't actually work any better that a piece of hose and, originality-wise, it would still be wrong. I will change the type of hose I'm using to the Dayco RifleD suggested, which looks better than what I've been using and that will be the end of that...

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you find the Dayco hose to work well, please post the part number.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sorry, wrong brand. Its Gates 23864.

NoGoSlow likes this.
  7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The hose from aircraft spruce is really good quality, of course, but I prefer solid black color of the Dayco.

8. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    The hose on these cars was originally insulated, well at least mine was as was the oil cooler duct. Gimmick or not I guess the idea was to keep intake air unduly rising in temperature whilst in traffic etc.
    Also, the ribbing in some of these alternative hoses is quite significant, which causes pressure drop.
    So technically, a smooth bore insulted hose is the best option.
    Just my opinion!

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    As stated earlier in this thread, the reason for the insulated air intake hose was for noise reduction. US regs - and perhaps other countries as well - required a 3db reduction in intake noise for 1989. The earlier 328 ducting could not meet the regs. Ferrari was clever, they found that insulated hose was an easy and cheap (at the time) way to drop intake noise by 3db.

Rifledriver likes this.
  10. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I take your point, but why was the oil cooler hose also insulated unless there is some benefit to keeping the air cooler?

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    There is, of course, benefit to having cooler intake air but if you look at the path for the intake air, the 'heat' exposure of the hose or duct between the outside intake and the airbox is insignificant compared to the run of the air from the airbox through all the heat soaked metal of the KJet system, the heat-soaked hose between it and the heat-soaked throttle bottle and then the heat soaked intake manifold itself.

The advantage of cooler intake air was well known long before Ferrari ever made a car and if there had been an advantage in heat-insulating that short run between the 3x8 outside air duct and the airbox, they could have used the less expensive insulated hose from the beginning on the 3x8 FI engines.

I don't know about the oil hose you mentioned but the air hose and the reason for it is documented in Ferrari docs and US regs pertaining to 1988 vs 1989 noise requirements. I posted references to the docs here probably 8-10 years ago; a search might locate them.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The intake hose has about 3 times the flow capacity of the throttle body.

The intake hose design was about noise reduction. Not an opinion.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
  15. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    yeah ! that's the stuff I used, it's similar to rubber foam just more black and I also used black duct tape to close/seal and turned towards the bottom, it came out very nice !

16. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Installed it about 17 years ago when the original went to dust. The black one was not really known yet. Never bothered to change it for the black one.

One thing of note on any new hose. There are some sharp brackets in there, so be careful the new hose does not get a hole rubbed through it.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I understand the reasoning based on governmental sound laws

But doing this on a Ferrari is about like telling your wife or girlfriend to keep it down during sex.

mwr4440 likes this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Definitely the girlfriend !! Who has noisy sex with their wife ??!! :) :)

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.