Should RR wheel have movement when in park | FerrariChat

Should RR wheel have movement when in park

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LivingthedreamBAB, Feb 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I recently purchased my first Ferrari ("pipe dream" car for me that I am blessed to be able to afford) and have been giving it a detailed review. Changing all fluids, nut and bolt, etc. When doing this with the car on the lift I noticed that when in park the rear left wheel has little to no movement in it but the right rear I can rotate an inch or two. Is this normal? In my PDK Porsche there is movement but the movement is in both wheels and is only half an inch or so. Thinking this might have something with the parking brake only locking left wheel. Anyway, looking for someone who has also tested this to see if mine is normal or if I have an issues that needs addressed. Thank you!!

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    If the electronic parking brake is engaged both wheels should not move at all. If the transmission is in park, but the parking brake is not engaged, then there will be some movement at the wheels. Did you engage the electronic parking brake? You should hear the motor that operates it spin when you shut the car off and remove the key. You can also manually engage and disengage the electronic parking brakes using the switch for them.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

3. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for your reply. It is my assumption that the parking brake was engaged as when the vehicle is in 1st gear and I turn the car off I see that the park light flashes and then stays lit. It is up on the lift now so when I arrive home this evening I think I will disengage the parking brake and put into neutral and then compare side to side the movement in the wheel before there is resistance. My concern is that there is more play than there should be in the gear box in which case I obviously have a major issue. Car runs fine, shifts fine, goes from forward to reverse fine it just kind of alarmed me that there would be this much play when turning the wheel. Again, I appreciate your help. Hopefully this dream will not turn into a nightmare!