For Sale - 1979 308 GTS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

For Sale 1979 308 GTS

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Carl Carlson, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    I don't know if anyone here or knows of the person who purchased the 79 308 GTS up here in the NW or not. I took it for a test drive and it drove good. Had a stack of service records going back to the early eighties and as recently as last October. If I had a bigger garage I would have scooped it up. A small dealership had it and was asking $39,900. Probably could of got it for 35K. In my opinion I thought it was in above average condition. Still kicking myself to a pint.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yep the QV is up there with the carby cars here with the Vetro being the leader of the pack.

3. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    BTW, who is the beautiful blonde in the driver's seat ? ;)

Face76 likes this.
  4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    The Vetro doesn't count in the overall market --- it's a crazy outlier.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I agree way overpriced this is a 45-50k car TOPs that u would see at Beverly Hills car club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Exactly the same on the TR side where sellers want 140k car sales at 110

7. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Respectfully disagree. But we’re cluttering up this ad with all our opinions which isn’t very fair to the seller.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Last year 2 79 GTS sold at auction with average price around $50k. This year, 1 sold at $49,500. I have no idea about condition or mileage, but I doubt that were in the 84k mile range and had sat f0r 20 years.

9. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wow, so what's a rolling 'driver' worth these days?

10. Craig R

Craig R Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Austin, Texas
    Is this still available? Call/text me 512seven89three 770
    Craig in Austin

11. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    yes but $80K for a car that has been in storage for 20 years - "308 GTS 1979 Ferrari for sale. Been in storage for about 20 years would like $80,000 OBRO
    Very low miles, ran when it was parked."

Very low miles - 84,000??? maybe 8,400 - we are talking Ferrari here right??.... most people here will wince at the 9,500 mile cresting.... LOL.

new oil, new gasoline (after tank clean-out), new seals, new suspension bushings, exhaust clean-out for rodents and other denizens of the Northeast, electrical check for nibbling from the denizen residents, new hoses for the cooling system (and water pump), clutch check, at least $25K - I know because I recently refurbed one

Interior condition? guages, carpets, etc....

12. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I bought the Barrett Jackson car last January.

13. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Im still relatively new here, but are comments ridiculing asking price like this one and even worse, the one he was responding to, OK with the rules here? This kind of interference in a members sales thread would get someone a vacation in the other forum I frequent.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Used to be not allowed now u can.

15. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Not sure which other forum you frequent, but I’m sure they’ve got a couple of ****head trolls and window shoppers there just like we do here. Don’t let it bother you or detract from your experience on this site.

energy88 likes this.
  16. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve

OK, thanks for the reply. I looked at the rules in the Classifieds and it didn’t seem clear to me.

17. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, they were having a problem with members stating they didn’t want to post cars or parts for sale because of the criticisms from the peanut gallery, so they started enforcing Interference rules to control that. Every forum is different, I just had trouble finding rules that directly addressed that.

18. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    So, my opinion is, and Im looking for a 79 308 myself since many years (not actively but when it comes it comes)
    Beverly hills car club had a silver one in obviously similar condition for 50k on eBay for ever. I was offering 40ish but deal didn't go through. Again, didn't had pressure on it anyway. And I remain proceeding with this until I find one or car finds me.
    20 years in storage, I would much rather buy something that was driven 20 years bc 20 years in storage will be a full resto.
    Even if this is a barn find with 10k miles, I would still estimate in the 60k's.
    So sorry, for the family members. I dont want to throw something out and someone is offended. Therefore I spare my offer. However, I'm generally interested and can be there tomorrow.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hagertys was handing out Price Guides during the Lone Star Rally, or check Cavallino although they do not detail the early 308s well,IMO.

IMO there's break between CARBED with CATS, Carbed NON CATS, and then also the break between dry sump and wet sump and then comes the Fiberglass cars.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Just because you can does not mean you should.....his original post clearly says "Or best reasonable offer".....

Ferraritalian likes this.
  21. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    True...from my experience... 20 years in storage means engine seals are going to leak once you get going...brake lines are going to collapse and calipers seize...radiator blows, along with hoses....gas tank rust...carburetor seals and gas lines start to leak....electrical gremlins wake up. Just be ready to make a commitment and have lots of energy or resources.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well this is a "somebody just died, we found this in the garage where we knew we would, and now we would rather have a check, possibly to settle an Estate Probate"...….:D :D

I mean, to those of us that know these cars, recall I have owned three, the "story" comes with opening the door and pushing it into daylight..

But, I want to gently impress upon those reading that an early ;80's 308 may be "sub $50K" but in my mind the early carbed cars, are "mostly" above that now.

23. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    agreed, but at the end of the day any car is only worth what someone else will pay for it.
    the Dino's were very inexpensive 15 years ago and now they are untouchable... this could be the next trend..... its a buyers market.

24. Banzairacer

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    bravo!