458 - Bought 458 over 488 and responding to answers as to “WHY” | FerrariChat

458 Bought 458 over 488 and responding to answers as to “WHY”

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by THE VATICANTS, Feb 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE VATICANTS

THE VATICANTS Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    #1 THE VATICANTS, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    Hey gang
    Some people asked me in messages after now buying the 458 spider the other day why I chose it over to 488 after having spent weeks looking into both.
    For your consideration here are some points as to why I made this decision in no particular and random order and of course completely SUBJECTIVE to me and without ANY disrespect to the amazing 488 as I genuinely considered just going with the “newer” car. Instead of answering messages individually I just figured I’ll make a thread for people of the same predicament of looking into both

-458 was my dream car. After test driving several 488s the 458 still felt more magical

-458 has last NA engine and I believe in 3-5 years value will reflect having made a better investment

-the sound at 7k rpm

-looks

-prices right now are phenomenal

-prefer interior of 458

-I believe 488 prices will crash heavily in near future

-to me 488 didn’t truly feel like next generation to 458

-Sound of 458

-Sound of 458

-SOUND OF 458

Funny enough, I was not confused while test driving 488 that it actually felt slightly more solid and more powerful and everything about it was “newer bigger better faster” but something just didn’t grab me. Every time I drove a 488 I had a grin but when I test drove a 458 I felt like I am little child.

To me, at the end of the day, the 458 felt like the “smarter” investment even though I was able to decide by joy factor. I would’ve pulled the trigger on the 488 instantly had it grabbed me more. Funny enough this was the first time in my life that a newer generation Ferrari was not the obvious way to go after driving it. Before, when I drove a newer generation Ferrari, it was a no brainer, nothing to discuss. Not this time. And that is a strange experience within itself. The 488 having turbos didn’t turn me off at all, I’m not a guy that needs to be stuck in the past for nostalgic reasons. And the engine tuning of the 488 is incredible. It felt like a naturally aspirated engine but where I could tell it lost me every time was where the “magic” happens: in the 458 the magic is at 7k-8.5k rpm whereas in the 488 the magic sits between 3k-5k rpm. So it was really the driving experience that didn’t make me fall in love with the 488 because I felt I couldn’t hang in the gear long enough and that, completely subjectively, made me really like it but not love the 488.

Anyway, those are just my subjective experiences and just wanted to share with this great group

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using MotorInteractive

2. Dr. K

Dr. K Rookie

Jul 28, 2019
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    As long as you buy what you personally prefer, nothing else matters. Congrats!

3. mustangtornado

Dec 19, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks for sharing your experience! I agree with you, the 458 is the better buy.
    In my own experience I just preferred the 488, which surprised me...I was certain I’d prefer the 458, but I didn’t. That’s why everyone needs to drive them both, it’s all about personal preference. Some people want a screamer, some want deeper growl, some want to wind the car up to get the power and some prefer low end torque. Just personal preference.

4. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I too had a very similar experience to you. I have driven a 488 and 458 many times and just kept coming back to the 458 as being the winner when it comes to anything other than taking them to the track. The 488 is a little quicker but the sound, interior, looks, etc. just can't compete with the 458 in my opinion. Also, being the last car designed by Pininfarina and the last Ferrari NA 8 cylinder (as of right now) will very likely add to the attraction to the 458. With Ferrari going partially public in 2015 I am also afraid that they will start turning to volume over performance/quality and turn to lower cost builds like turbos (more hp per engine displacement) and less aesthetic design (ceasing work with renowned designers).

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Newer is not necessarily better, personal choices and all that.
    Congrats.
    Hope this thread doesn't turn into another flame war between respective camps...getting a bit old.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    458 is the way to go.

7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thanks for sharing. enjoy!

THE VATICANTS likes this.
  8. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Ugh, again?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Boomhauer, IloveGT and THE VATICANTS like this.
  9. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Here we go again!!!!

Boomhauer, IloveGT and THE VATICANTS like this.
  10. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    welcome to the 458 family.. Good luck

11. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Your 458 is gorgeous and fast and so are the gorgeous and fast 488's! See what I did there???

THE VATICANTS and IloveGT like this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    The 458 and the 488 are two very different ways to enjoy Ferrari ownership. Not being a V12 Grand Tourer fan myself, my dream garage would be a 458 with a 488 next to it.

All that matters is one buying what one wants, and be happy with one’s choice. The rest is history.

And as I always say: buy condition, not mileage. Your 458 is beautiful, congratulations once again!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

13. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015
    488 is an amazing ride and the turbo's didn't turn me off from it. Its just a little different.....For me it was that it wasn't "light-years" better than the 458... like the 458 was from the 430. Bummed about the design not changing much either. 458 is my first automanual car.... I miss my real 6 speed ;(. There are a bunch of these threads, but they were all helpful to my prior to my purchase so thanks too all who contribute.

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Spot on OP

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Don't tell us you are thinking about buying the 458 for the fourth time! Is it the third or the fourth?

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    LOL!
    Would be 4th.
    And yes, I was looking today.

17. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Well, I'm in the same boat. Having a hard time to choose between 458 Italia, 488 GTB or order F8.

Last week was all set to get 458 but somehow looks of 488 are growing on me. I think 488 looks better in red over 458 but 458 looks better in black over 488.

Mighty Joe likes this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Apart from look you may also drive the cars and decide which character you prefer; 458 and 488 are different while the F8 is an improved 488.
    For me the 488 is an improvement over the 458, but since it has a different character some may prefer the 458 (the 488 is faster and more efficient but does not scream as much...)
    The F8 is litterally an improved 488: more power, less weight, refined electronics and so on - so there is no real question about which should be preferred as a car, it's more about deciding whether the improvement is worth the cost difference.
    Depending on what you're looking for, the price of a new F8 can also get you a nice used Speciale.

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Why choose the 458 over the 488?

I’m sure we all have our personal reasons, but I bet for most of us, this was it:

Kind regards,

Nuno.

IloveGT, 458 Spider 0414 and up4speed like this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Going lusso v12 for a while now. Maybe this will scratch my 458 itch...lol

tekaefixe likes this.
  21. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Lusso? It's everything that a ferrari should not be IMHO. The depreciation will hit it harder than any other model. Who would want to own such a behemoth?

But about the 458. Pull the trigger on it good sir! :D

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    LOL. Variety and V12.
    And it's depreciated 50%.
    Just not enamored with the 812 enough to purchase.

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  23. Peterod2010

Peterod2010 Karting

Feb 23, 2014
    conn
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Bought my 3rd today. Love them both I just think the 458 spider will hold its value better.

458 Spider 0414 and dustman like this.
  24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Literally THE reason, since everything else is better on the 488 and the F8. Oh yeah, and price. I think the dollar value of the 458 can't be beat. I really, really, really love my 458, more and more every time I drive it.

25. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wouldn’t you mean Speciale?

Sent from my 16M