Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for 360: Ordered • Installed • Fits! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for 360: Ordered • Installed • Fits!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Alpintourer, Oct 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    28-29 all around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Jeez, that seems low, the pirellis were 32 all around and the car’s data plate from 2008 says the Michelin’s 11 years ago should be 32F/35R. Newer tire, lower pressures?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. enzoformenh

enzoformenh Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    I was just about to pull the trigger on the Michelins until I read this post. I'm frustrated by the lack of options in the stock size but my fenders are perfect and I don't want to damage them. I have an 05 360 spider. Has anyone had any rubbing issues running the larger sizes? I know the rubbing can happen with the stock tires with sharp turns into steep driveways.

4. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Do you want to follow someone who "thinks" it's a bad idea. or follow those who have already done it w/o any issues?

5. enzoformenh

Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    If you aren't having any rubbing issues then I will go with your recommendation. I just wanted to double check. Thanks for following up.

Alpintourer likes this.
  6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You are correct to be skeptical. I had my fenders rolled because I was getting some fender interference when out on the track and cornering near the limit. No problems now, but I’m wary when people say they have no issues with going to bigger or wider rubber. They said that about OEM sizes before I rolled the fenders, too.
    I don’t want to buy expensive tires that I later find out hit my rolled fenders when driving on track. There’s really no way to know for sure until you do, as you can’t be driving that hard on public roads.
    I currently have decent tread remaining and the tires don’t age-out for another year, so I may continue to wait and watch threads like this. I would be encouraged by a genuine track hound pronouncing these fit after heavy track use.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

enzoformenh likes this.
  7. enzoformenh

Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    I found a size comparison visualizer that should help people considering this change understand the differences. It also includes how it will affect the speedometer.

REAR (Size 1 is the stock tire, Size 2 is the Michelin)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Front in next post due to some website wierdness

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  8. enzoformenh

Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  9. enzoformenh

Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    I measured the clearance between the stock tire and the inside fender on my 05 Spider. Here are the results:

FRONT: 1/2" (0.5") between the widest part of the tire and the inside of the fender. It would take 3.5" of vertical travel for the widest part of the tire to impact the fender.
    REAR: 3/8" (.375") between the widest part of the tire and the inside of the fender. It would take 4" of vertical travel for the widest part of the tire to impact the fender.

With such a small gap I'm not surprised so many people have had issues with the tires damaging the lip of the fender.

The Michelin tires are 0.4" wider front and rear so you pretty much lose any gap you had with the stock tires and that is with the wheels straight. The Michelin is 1/2 shorter so you get that extra vertical travel distance.

I hope this information is helpful for anyone considering this tire swap.

Need4Spd likes this.
  10. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
  11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Careful, all tires are not created equally by manufacturer. The numbers can vary significantly for same tire size.

Mimmo Blue, Need4Spd and blkdiablo33 like this.
  12. enzoformenh

Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Mike F
    Thanks for that. I had no idea there could be variations in the sizes.

13. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Don’t worry and go with 225/40 and 285/35 in the 4S you will NOT HAVE any issues.
    Stop using the calculator and use other members experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mimmo Blue and Need4Spd like this.
  14. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    My previous tires were Potenza RE-11 in OEM sizes. Really liked the tires handling characteristics but had constant problems with fender rubbing. The new 4S on the other hand, have had no issues. This in about 2500 miles which included some spirited mountain driving.

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That’s great info, because my current tires are RE-11 in OEM sizes.

sparetireless likes this.
  16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Bringing this thread back, too. I am so indecisive. I’m leaning towards the PS4S again.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I replaced my worn Potenza RE-11 with the Michelin PS4S (225/40R18 & 285/35R18) end of last July. 2004 F1 360 Modena. A tick under 40k miles.

No ABS warning light after installation.

Very comfortable ride. Felt "softer". But that could just be compared to the worn tires :)

$1015.96 at Tire Rack shipped to my mechanic (no sales tax here in OR). $120 to mount, balance & rotate. There's a disposal fee and alignment cost somewhere on the bill...

Need4Spd likes this.
  18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    So after time has passed, any issues running these sizes and tires?

19. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I posted earlier no problems after 2500 miles. Now at 6500 miles and still no problems. These tires are superb. Great handling and much quieter than the previously installed RE-11. We just took a road trip to Palm Springs through the mountains. Super handling on a challenging drive in below freezing temps, then quiet and comfortable on the dead straight run across the desert. Handling in the rain has also been very good, including no hydroplaning on our god-awful freeways. Hope this helps.

Need4Spd likes this.
  20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Awesome feedback. Thanks so much. I’m going with the PS4S.

21. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    If the size of the tire affects the speedometer reading, I assume it also affects the odometer reading?

Apollo 11 likes this.
  22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Probably, but it’s only under 3% more based on revs per mile. I can live with that.

23. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
  24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    BTW, if you order from TireRack, be prepared to receive an “are you sure” about the sizes email, since they are a departure from OEM. Not a big deal, just tell them you did not make a mistake and be sure to double check your sizes when ordering so you don’t get stuck with the wrong sizes due to your own error.

25. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I am the Original Poster of this thread. The OEM tires described on the door jam sticker are no longer made and those sizes are not available in their replacement, the "Pilot Sport 4S". Use the sizes mentioned in Post #1 and you will be fine. I am 2500 miles into these tires with no issues whatsoever.

vrsurgeon and Need4Spd like this.