Vietnam GP April 5. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Vietnam GP April 5.

Discussion in 'F1' started by Nembo1777, Dec 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    That's true, but in the long term it could be a harmful. Big manufacturers and sponsors need people watching more than FOM's money, and most people is not interested in cars enough to pay for F1.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Now there is Coronavirus near Hanoi and a town 40kms away in quarantine...

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I would hate to be a killjoy, but the cancellation of the Chinese GP is maybe not the last we heard from coronavirus.
    The best way to stop an epidemy of that scale is to suspend the uncontrolled flow of people crisscrossing the globe for tourism or attending events.
    Already many countries have cases of contamination, and with a virus of that strength, you never know what comes next.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    A friend of mine is Vietnamese and he cancelled his trip to Vietnam in April because of fear of corona virus.

United Airlines has cancelled all flights to China including Hong Kong through April 24th. Beijing, Shanghai and HK are major routes into Hanoi by plane if you come from Europe of America.

IMO, this event is going to have a tough time getting foreigners to come. The question will be if the teams decide its not worth it and don't participate.

DF1, jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This couldn't have come at a worst time for Vietnam trying to have its first GP.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Now this:

Beijing motor show likely to be postponed due to coronavirus

Global automotive industry may be forced to shut down more major events as the virus spreads

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-beijing-motor-show/beijing-motor-show-likely-be-postponed-due-coronavirus

Speculation is growing that the Beijing motor show in April will be postponed in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

This would follow the postponed Formula 1 race in Shanghai and the cancelled Mobile World Congress technology show in Barcelona.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Fairly recent history has shown that a lot of westerners under estimated the Vietnamese.

My first inclination for my friend Marc was to say that perhaps things would have gone better under
    French Colonial rule but that would be too obvious.

Honestly, wasn't COTA still in a state of construction mere days before their first Grand Prix out
    in Austin? Seems to me there were a lot of "Wet Paint" signs everywhere in 2012 and even a
    thread here where many (if not most) didn't think it would be done on time.

What seems amazing is that Vietnam can pull off a Grand Prix but Miami seems to be stuck
    in neutral and can't seem to get the deal off the ground.

BHW

senyah, william and Nembo1777 like this.
  8. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Perhaps even in Vietnam, work can expand to fill the time allotted.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Like many communist countries, Vietnam must have a way of dealing with people's "objections" to large projects.
    The same methods couldn't be applied in the US, probably.

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The Vietnam GP is happening not because they´re building the track with gulag workers, but because the government is really willing to pay for it and the locals can make money from it, even if they don´t give a dang about Formula 1.

If the Miami GP can´t make money and the local authorities can´t pay Liberty´s bribe, it won´t happen.

william likes this.
  11. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  12. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I’ve been to Vietnam a number of times. I have no doubt the track and facilities will be ready. The Coronavirus is the bigger problem.

william and 375+ like this.
  13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #39 freshmeat, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    I've cancelled ALL INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL for the entire year until someone puts a lid on the pandemic. Not worth the risk, and sure some might think the media is blowing everything out of proportions but I'd rather not be the unlucky bloke added to the stat sheet.

No one has a vaccine.

No one knows the incubation period. Previously stated as 14 days, but now there have been dozens of incidents on record beyond 27 days ie contagious for over 27 days.

No one really knows how many people each infected individual can transmit the virus to; previously they claimed 2-3 persons yet, we keep seeing more and more outbreaks in countries where the source has not even been from anyone who traveled to China! Each person is taking down over dozens of people with them. Look at the latest outbreak in South Korea...1 grandma super spreader infected over 40 people from 1 sunday service and the majority of them didn't even have any direct contact with her.

No one knows regardless of how healthy or young you are that you will survive the virus. There are those infected who showed zero symptoms for weeks, had no underlying health conditions, were under the age of 30, didn't smoke etc and boom, within days of showing illness, they either die of pneumonia or lung failure or organs just fail from "antibody injury" where the body tries so hard to kill off the virus but ends up destroying everything else with it. A 29 yr old chinese doctor in perfect health recently died from the virus...

No one knows if the virus is natural or engineered/leaked from a lab. Bet your ass if it was engineered, it will mutate like nothing else in nature and experts are already screaming "disease x" and the window to prevent a pandemic is almost already closed and stateside people are already bracing for it to "yet spread".

No one knows how much "cover-up" and "underreporting" China has really been doing ie sh*t is definitely worse than it seems in China.

Everyday the numbers get bigger and bigger...South Korea incidents have tripled pretty much overnight:
    https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

crinoid and senyah like this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Since you can catch the coronavirus EVERYWHERE in the world, I can't see how stopping travelling can protect people.
    I hope they find a vaccine for it very soon; in between more hygiene is the solution.

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You don't see how restricting travel can slow or stop the spread of an infectious disease?

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Almost every western countries already have cases of coronavirus, and people get the virus without travelling.
    You cannot put the world on quarantine: people and goods have to travel.
    But as usual, the media like to stir up hysteria.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I think William should attend the Vietnam GP & show us just hysterical we are...

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I could just as well catch the virus travelling on the London Underground.
    There you meet plenty of people from abroad who have just landed at the Heathrow airport.
    We already have reported casualties in Europe (Italy), and none of them has been near China !

19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    In another thread we were just discussing the ridiculous numbers of Chinese tourists in Italy. No mystery where it came from.

20. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Italy still can’t find patient zero...

21. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    How could they?

22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    If it's as obvious as you say it is, "ridiculous number of chinese tourists", then it should be easy. Other countries have been able to trace exact sources under more obscure circumstances...

23. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Patient zero has returned to China.

24. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Then should make identifying the source even easier, since there's a digital trail no?